Author Topic: Trouble getting minGW to work; not even giving errors, just not working  (Read 4797 times)

Offline ghytwembpang

• Single posting newcomer
Okay, so, I'm just starting to seriously try and learn some C++(i've dabbled a bit over the years but never put a serious effort in). I was recently on win XP 32 bit; codeblocks and mingw were working just fine on there.

I just upgraded to win 7. Codeblocks works fine. mingw doesn't. And I can't tell if it's because of codeblocks or mingw or me or what the hell.

According to everything I've read, I should just need to install mingw in the default place and point codeblocks at it, it should autodetect everything and bam, away I go. I did that, manually checked that everything that CB is looking for in the mingw directory is there, but when I try to build something, literally nothing happens. it doesn't throw an error at me, it doesn't even appear to try to compile. It doesn't say it can't find part of mingw. it just does absolutely nothing.

Now this had previously happened to me on winXP, but it was because I had accidentally deleted mingw without realizing what it was. I reinstalled it and it worked, no sweat at all.

also, worth noting that I've tried binaries of mingw 32 and 64 and both do the exact same thing.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask or if I should be asking on a mingw forum or something, but I am incredibly frustrated at this point because I've wasted almost two hours trying to get this damn thing to work and frankly I'm incredibly pissed right now, because I've spent two hours banging my head against this which is more time than I even intended to work on learning tonight. So if there's a better place to get help with this I'd be quite thankful to be directed there; however it's not an error with coding and I've been searching on google to no avail, so I figured this would be an appropriate place.

zabzonk

Re: Trouble getting minGW to work; not even giving errors, just not working
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 11:58:46 am »
For simple instructions on how to install GCC for Windows, see http://latedev.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/how-to-install-a-c-compiler-on-windows/. Get it working using the command line first using the instructions in that article,  and then point your code::blocks compiler toolchain  settings at the GCC root directory (not the bin directory).

And please, don't waste your time telling the world how frustrated you are, either here or elsewhere - nobody cares, and it won't get your problem resolved any quicker - possibly it will just stop people replying.

Offline ghytwembpang

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 04:53:53 pm »
ALRIGHT, so it worked from command, then it didn't work when I tried compiling the project i had saved in codeblocks, but i copied and pasted it into a new project and LO AND GODDAMN WELL BEHOLD it worked! So you are a wonderful person and you deserve beautiful things. I guess the old project was stuck on some setting that make it dumb; computers can be so arcane sometimes I swear.

Also I apologize for the venting but when you've been beating your head on something that shouldn't even be the most minor of problems for hours, well... venting can help lessen that 'i'm going to claw my F****** EYES OUT* feeling. :P

Just because it's going to bug me... is there a known reason why that other version of MinGW refuses to play nice? Is it Win 7? Or is it one of those mysterious rage inducing things that you could spend a thousand hours investigating and not find a good reason for? xP

At any rate; I can now compile and that is awesome and so are you.

zabzonk

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 07:50:35 pm »
is there a known reason why that other version of MinGW refuses to play nice?

Well, you haven't said which "other version" that was. If it was the "official MinGW" build from MinGW.org, then that one requires some expertise (not  a lot, but some) to install correctly, which is why I always recommend the TDM version (and I guess why C::B itself comes with that version).

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 08:01:29 pm »

Well, you haven't said which "other version" that was. If it was the "official MinGW" build from MinGW.org, then that one requires some expertise (not  a lot, but some) to install correctly, which is why I always recommend the TDM version (and I guess why C::B itself comes with that version).

MinGW has a default location it looks for stuff like headers and executables.

It is usually "c:\mingw" I am thinking some of them is "c:\mingw32".
If a compiler exists in that location then any other MinGW will not work.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:15:47 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline ghytwembpang

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:32:18 am »

Well, you haven't said which "other version" that was. If it was the "official MinGW" build from MinGW.org, then that one requires some expertise (not  a lot, but some) to install correctly, which is why I always recommend the TDM version (and I guess why C::B itself comes with that version).

Well that's weird as hell then, because the 'other version' was the one that came with C::B (which I also thought i mentioned but reading my OP back, evidently not) so... yeah that makes no sense, but it's working now, so that's good enough for me!

Thank you again very much for the help.