Author Topic: Who is 280Z28?  (Read 9946 times)

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
Who is 280Z28?
« on: December 14, 2005, 02:11:04 am »
Hey y'all, my name is Sam.

I would have put this in off-topic, but I really mean it for this (Development) forum since it concerns this and the people here more. I've stepped on a few toes now in the 6 days I've been a member of this forum and I really didn't mean to. I'm going to try and clear some of that up here.

You'll notice in my "suggestion" posts I'm very direct with my requests. They are easily taken as demands, especially for someone who doesn't know me well (all of you). I became this way from working in a fast paced environment (at my job) where people didn't have a lot of time to read suggestions. I found that by being short and direct to the exact point I'm requesting, I received responses, positive or negative, much faster. The last thing I want to do is take up a lot of your time rambling about development and leave you possibly not even knowing exactly what I'm requesting.

One thing I really strive for is never making personal attacks at someone. If you disagree with something I say, please post about it or send me a PM or message on AIM. I won't come back and call you stupid.

I also try to follow project guidelines as closely as possible. For example, in the patch I made for wxScintilla I used the same coding style that the rest of the file uses, even though I personally hate it. If I goof, mention it and I'll work to not have it happen again.

So in summary, please don't take what I say as insulting or condescending, because I certainly don't mean it that way.

Thanks and sorry for any trouble I caused,
Sam
78 280Z, "a few bolt-ons" - 12.71@109.04
99 Trans Am, "Daily Driver" - 525rwhp/475rwtq
 Check out The Sam Zone :cool:

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
Re: Who is 280Z28?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:16:33 am »
If you have any questions at all, go for it :)

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 09:17:45 am »
What do you mean by an encrypted username?

is there a special meaning behind 280Z28 ?
it is not easy to remember - at least not for me  8)

I have a 1978 280Z pic with a Chevy V8 from a Camaro Z28 in it pic.

280Z + Z28 = 280Z28

I really like Z cars  :lol:

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 10:20:04 am »
You'll notice in my "suggestion" posts I'm very direct with my requests. They are easily taken as demands, especially for someone who doesn't know me well (all of you). I became this way from working in a fast paced environment (at my job) where people didn't have a lot of time to read suggestions. I found that by being short and direct to the exact point I'm requesting, I received responses, positive or negative, much faster. The last thing I want to do is take up a lot of your time rambling about development and leave you possibly not even knowing exactly what I'm requesting.

Hello Sam,

IMHO and it is what I have learnt, one should be rather direct, because as you said people have usually little time, but most important is that you have to show respect and chose well your words. Perseverance is particularly important. Kindness is also good :).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 09:03:45 pm »

Hello Sam,

IMHO and it is what I have learnt, one should be rather direct, because as you said people have usually little time, but most important is that you have to show respect and chose well your words. Perseverance is particularly important. Kindness is also good :).

Best wishes,
Michael

I'll certainly do my best to be amicable. :) I hope that once people see that I really care about the project they'll know that whether I'm right or wrong I always mean to benefit the project. :)

I once started writing a code editor because my "favorites" at the time were closed source and I gave up trying to get the developers to fix the bugs I would find. I spent a lot of time and realized I just wasn't cut out to write one from scratch. I saw this project and tried it and it took about 2 minutes to realize this is what I have been waiting for. As long as the admins and I can agree on my fixes, I'm here until a) I stop programming or b) this project is perfected. I spend more time coding (not just on this project) than I spend sleeping and eating combined. If my work on this project provides a morale boost for me while I code everything I work on, it was sure worth my time to see things worked out for the best.

As you can see I have over 80 posts in the 8 days I've been here. :) It might seem weird to get caught up in a project that fast but y'all have no idea how badly I wanted a new editor..............

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 10:37:42 pm »
I'll certainly do my best to be amicable. :) I hope that once people see that I really care about the project they'll know that whether I'm right or wrong I always mean to benefit the project. :)

For what I have seen and read, you show interest in C::B.

I once started writing a code editor because my "favorites" at the time were closed source and I gave up trying to get the developers to fix the bugs I would find. I spent a lot of time and realized I just wasn't cut out to write one from scratch. I saw this project and tried it and it took about 2 minutes to realize this is what I have been waiting for. As long as the admins and I can agree on my fixes, I'm here until a) I stop programming or b) this project is perfected. I spend more time coding (not just on this project) than I spend sleeping and eating combined. If my work on this project provides a morale boost for me while I code everything I work on, it was sure worth my time to see things worked out for the best.

Yes, I can understand that. I always wanted an opensource and high quality C/C++ IDE rather than fighting with proprietary IDEs. IMHO C::B is really becoming a great C/C++ IDE. I would like to do more (develop/propose some plugins, fix bugs and so on), but unfortunately, at the moment I am very busy with my work, PhD and studies :(. Anyway, this will change soon or quite, once I finish my courses.

As you can see I have over 80 posts in the 8 days I've been here. :) It might seem weird to get caught up in a project that fast but y'all have no idea how badly I wanted a new editor..............

Yes, 80 posts in 8 days is a lot. Keep the good work :D.

Michael
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 02:02:32 pm by Michael »