Author Topic: svn 7925 - no "watches" in the debugger  (Read 5418 times)

Offline Radek

• Multiple posting newcomer
svn 7925 - no "watches" in the debugger
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:54:10 pm »
No popup menu in the window, either. No possibility to add something to the "watches" window. Also, no chance to copy the debugger log by ctrl-C, ctrl-V but the log does not seem to complain of something, for example, of missing symbol file. IMO, the log looks as usual. The project has both "release" and "debug" targets and the "debug" target is active.

I haven't changed anything in the Code Block settings. What could happen? The debugger is unusable without values of variables. Debian 6, Gnome, 32-bit Intel CPU, ATI Mobility Radeon graphics, OpenGL enabled, 2 GB memory.

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
Re: svn 7925 - no "watches" in the debugger
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:58:40 pm »
Can you check if everything is ok in plugins -> manage plug-ins?
Maybe something were disabled for an unknown reason...

Offline Radek

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:19:12 pm »
The debugger plugin is enabled, version 0.3, library libdebugger.so

--------------------------------

One more thought: What I am seeing instead of watches window seems to be a crashed wxListCtrl or a crashed wxTreeCtrl. The header is incomplete, the rest of the window is blank. I have noted that Code Blocks switched from wxWidgets 2.8.12 to 2.9.0 lately, at least, partially, but I am running 2.8.12 still. Is it possible that the watches window uses seme 2.9.0 feature which is not present in 2.8.12 and which is not present in the 2.9.0 distributed libraries?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:50:24 pm by Radek »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:10:45 pm »
The debugger plugin is enabled, version 0.3, library libdebugger.so

--------------------------------

One more thought: What I am seeing instead of watches window seems to be a crashed wxListCtrl or a crashed wxTreeCtrl. The header is incomplete, the rest of the window is blank. I have noted that Code Blocks switched from wxWidgets 2.8.12 to 2.9.0 lately, at least, partially, but I am running 2.8.12 still. Is it possible that the watches window uses seme 2.9.0 feature which is not present in 2.8.12 and which is not present in the 2.9.0 distributed libraries?
Code::Blocks did not switch to 2.9 !!!
It's partly buildable with it, but it still needs wx2.8 to compile fully.

But what might cause trouble, is that the place of th epch's (precomnpiled headers) has changed.
If you us eselfcompiled C::B this can be a problem.
You should either try a clean checkout, or delete src/include*.gch manually (if they still exist) and then do a full rebuild (clean and build).

Offline Radek

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 08:53:49 pm »
I am not using PCH's at all. The problem is a new one, the debugger worked until now. I was surprised what I am looking at.
The debugged program is an OpenGL wxWidgets project in Debian but I have debugged several such projects (OpenGL + wxWidgets) before. No problems.

------------------------------------------

I am not compiling Code Blocks, I am downloading binary packages by means of the software updater. The latest SVN (7932) - no change, no debugger. I also tried some older projects - the debugger (mis)behaves the same way everywhere so that it is not "just this project".
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:04:25 am by Radek »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 12:57:21 pm »
Are you sure the watches window is incomplete ?
It's layout has changed massively.
If there are no watches an empty progrid with one line and three columns is shown.
You can add watches with "Add watch" from the editor's contextmenu, or by dragging a selected variable and dropping it into the watches window.

Offline Radek

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 07:26:34 pm »
Ouch ... The watches window does work (in Debian)  :o but the layout has really changed massively. After the first success (with the context menu), I was able to put the window to work.

Okay. When you open the window, it looks strange and rather incomplete. A "header" line (which is not a header) with three columns but without any text which could hint what to do. You can put the cursor into the first two columns but what to type in is unclear. There is also a "..." button in the middle field which does nothing (unless you have a variable loaded). No popup menu. If there are more desperate people around, then:

(1) The window ceased being a "local variables" window, it is a real "watches" window now. Until you define a watch, the window will be blank.
(2) Defining a watch: Type the variable name (or this) in the first column of the window, put the cursor on some occurrence of the variable (in the editor) and "add watch" from the context menu.
(3) Once you have a watch, you can select it and right click it. You get a context menu.
(4) The rest is easy.

Now, I would appreciate a "local variables" window. Well, I can add local variables into the watches window and remove them after leaving the procedure, but ...  ;D