Author Topic: usb device disabled after installing code blocks  (Read 4905 times)

Offline kccasey

• Single posting newcomer
usb device disabled after installing code blocks
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:34:19 pm »
After installing code blocks (don't even have to run it) my usb I/O board stopped working.  Unplugging it and replugging to the usb port, windows no longer searches for the new device. Tried to reinstall software for I/O board but still is disabled. Rebooted- same problem.

When I  uninstall code block and run system restore, the I/O board works fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

codeblocks-10.05mingw-setup.exe

windows xp sp3- dell 2400- pentium 4

Hardware:
BCS Ideas rp00000048N I/O board
http://bcsideas.com/

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: usb device disabled after installing code blocks
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:11:06 pm »
Try to install C::B without MinGW, and see if it still occurs.

If not, try to install a more recent version of MinGW. I suggest http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/ .

If I remember correctly, there was an issue with an older version of MinGW and usb devices, that occured on some systems.

Offline kccasey

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:43:29 pm »
Thanks Jens, That was it. Amazing you kept that little tidbit in your memory.

I tried loading the new version of MinGW by creating it in the code blocks directory but it would not recognize it. Any suggestions?

I'll try to load the night updates and see if that helps. Maybe it has the new version of MinGW

Thanks again I would have never figured that out.

KC

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:03:39 pm »
On my windows test-system, I have it in in C:\MinGW, and it works flawlessly.

zabzonk

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:37:16 am »
Golly! How in hell's name can installing a compiler disable a device? Does anyone have a link to an explanation for this?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 06:51:44 am »
How in hell's name can installing a compiler disable a device?
Sorry, but this is actually not possible. Only, if i.e. an installer overwrites system DLL's used by Windows. But for C::B this is not the case and even if, the Windows file protection (starting with XP) would "fix" this immediately. So actually I can only hardly believe this. What the C::B installer does is nothing else than copying files into a single folder. No files are put into system folders, no PATH environment variables is touched, no components are registered, no registry hacks are applied.

I am 99.9% sure the reason is somewhere else. What else did you install? Updates? Maybe there was a pending update that required a system restart which you did?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 08:03:13 am »
It was not an overwritten usb-drive, but MinGW complaining about a missing drive, that was present when builing MinGW.
I am not sure, if this was the case for the MinGW version provided with 10.05.

And we all (windows users) know, that the windows usb-drive management is poor (or at least was poor on xp and most likely vista), so it was a wild guess of mine, that there went something wrong with it.

And if it is really the case and not just a "funny" coincidence, it is either windows or the  usb-board (and its drivers) which is to blame in my opinion.