Author Topic: Distribution, Tarball, Autobuild, etc.  (Read 4975 times)

Offline Hans-Linux

• Multiple posting newcomer
Distribution, Tarball, Autobuild, etc.
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:35:59 pm »
I am using C::B "1.11.15 svn build rev. 0" distributed by OpenSuse 11.4 64 bit and completed a small Linux 'C' console project for distribution.

Is there a facility, plug-in, etc. to create a package to distribute, compile and install from source a C::B project. Similar to "Build Tarball" in the Anjuta IDE. They use Autobuild.

I tried "Build -> Export Makefile" This menu item is blanked out. I can't figure out how to activate it.

BTW. it would be nice to be able to copy and paste the test from C::B Help->About->Information to when writing a topic like this.

Hans

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Distribution, Tarball, Autobuild, etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 12:14:42 am »
If you simply want to add your project to an archive, you could use the Tools+ plugin.
If, you are looking for a full Autotools build-system, Code::Blocks does not currently have the ability to create one; however, I am currently working on a plugin that will attempt to implement this (among other things): Project Exporter plugin.

I tried "Build -> Export Makefile" This menu item is blanked out. I can't figure out how to activate it.
This feature has not existed for a while (but no one has yet removed the menu item :)).

Offline Hans-Linux

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 03:04:37 am »
Thanks for the information.

I will keep the present solution:

1.) Place the source into a directory shared between C::B and Anjuta IDE's.
2.) Use the C::B to develop (C::B is a much better IDE then Anjuta).
3.) Do the final compile and distribution build with the Anjuta IDE.

Time permitting, dig into the C::B source and try to add a "Build Source Distribution" option to C::B IDE.

Hans

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 03:53:47 am »
The best solution is to invest some time and to learn Autotools.
It turned out that it is not that hard.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 10:15:54 am »
To make an archive of the whole project, the easiest way is to use the make_dist.script.
It should be in C::B's share/scripts subfolder.
You can enable it via "Settings -> Scripting".
It adds an entry to the "Project"-menu ("Create package for distribution") and needs either zip or tar and gzip or tar and bzip2 executables in path.
If you want to use one of the last two options, you have to edit the script before enabling it (line 21 to 29, self explaining).
And the version of C::B must be less than 7588 (broken since than, fix will be committed soon, after some testing).

Offline Hans-Linux

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:11:58 am »
Have been using Autotools from within the Anjuta IDE for many years. (Build -> Built Tarball). 

Just miss the menu item when I changed to using the Code::Blocks IDE.

I mainly use "makeself" (megastep.org/makeself/) to create application installers for distribution, similar to the ones used by NVidia and Oracle VirtualBox. 

Hans

Offline Hans-Linux

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 08:13:38 am »
To make an archive of the whole project, the easiest way is to use the make_dist.script.
It should be in C::B's share/scripts subfolder.
You can enable it via "Settings -> Scripting".
It adds an entry to the "Project"-menu ("Create package for distribution") and needs either zip or tar and gzip or tar and bzip2 executables in path.
If you want to use one of the last two options, you have to edit the script before enabling it (line 21 to 29, self explaining).
And the version of C::B must be less than 7588 (broken since than, fix will be committed soon, after some testing).

Will wait until the fix is committed.

Hans

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »
Have been using Autotools from within the Anjuta IDE for many years. (Build -> Built Tarball).
If you are still using Autotools to manage your Code::Blocks projects, you could add a menu entry to do exactly this with the Tools+ plugin.