Author Topic: Today's updates: 30 Nov 2005  (Read 20799 times)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Today's updates: 30 Nov 2005
« on: November 30, 2005, 03:49:02 pm »
Not much time today, so not many updates.

Added command-line options for batch builds.
--hidden: do not show the C::B window.
--build: build the project/workspace.
--rebuild: clean and then build the project/workspace.

The project/workspace is specified last in the command-line.
This feature is best used with personalities. Because we just want to batch-build a project/workspace, we don't need to load other plugins than the compiler. What a perfect job for a new personality ;).

Small HOWTO:

Launch C::B using the command-line option --personality:
Code
codeblocks.exe --personality="Build"
When C::B starts, it will start like it was just installed.
Uncheck the "Show tips at startup".
Go to "Plugins->Manage plugins" and uncheck all plugins except the compiler.
Close C::B.
A new configuration file named "Build.conf" will be saved in your config folder.

Now, if you want to batch-build a project/workspace, launch C::B with the following command-line:
Code
codeblocks.exe --hidden --build c:\some\where\a\project.cbp
or
codeblocks.exe --hidden --rebuild c:\some\where\a\project.cbp

Now you can start those unattended nightly builds :)
(not quite; no build log is saved yet :P).
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Today's updates: 30 Nov 2005
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 03:52:50 pm »
Oh, backup your default.conf file first. I haven't tested the fix to ConfigManager exhaustively yet...

EDIT: I found where this little bug was and is fixed now :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 04:00:13 pm by mandrav »
Be patient!

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 04:02:46 pm »
Super !!

Some questions :

if you specify a workspace : all projects in the workspace are build ?
Which target is build for the project ??
   eg : project : 4 targets : gnu (debug ), gnu (release), MSVC (debug), MSvc(release)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 04:04:38 pm »
Question. If you specify -batch, is the "plain and simple" personality loaded (i.e. no plugins loaded unless specified otherwise)? Is the compiler output shown in stdout?

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 05:47:42 pm »
if you specify a workspace : all projects in the workspace are build ?
Which target is build for the project ??
   eg : project : 4 targets : gnu (debug ), gnu (release), MSVC (debug), MSvc(release)

This is a work-in-progress. Currently it builds the whole workspace. I will add support for specifying targets though.

Question. If you specify -batch, is the "plain and simple" personality loaded (i.e. no plugins loaded unless specified otherwise)? Is the compiler output shown in stdout?
There is no "-batch" option.
We create a new personality for this reason: to make the IDE as light as possible.
And no output yet, as mentioned above. I will have to adapt messagemanager for this. Probably later tonight :).
Be patient!

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 08:25:27 pm »
...one more time: THIS ROCKS!!! :D :D :D
Really: Great idea!

Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

takeshimiya

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 09:27:31 pm »
mandrav: Amazing! I can't believe, I was looking to do this very same two days ago!

Something like this:
{ wxCMD_LINE_OPTION, _T(""), _T("make-file"), _T("builds the project or file specified"), wxCMD_LINE_VAL_STRING, wxCMD_LINE_NEEDS_SEPARATOR },
{ wxCMD_LINE_OPTION, _T(""), _T("make-target"), _T("makes the target specified"), wxCMD_LINE_VAL_STRING, wxCMD_LINE_NEEDS_SEPARATOR },

My intention was to redirect the Build log to stdio.
And to not start any GUI, so you could compile codeblocks --make-file=project.cbp without having X running in linux.

Also, I was thinking it would be good to have an option to list all available targets.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 09:30:17 pm by Takeshi Miya »

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 10:49:11 pm »
Well the problem I see is that the SDK assummes that there IS a main frame. Most objects are descendants of wxWindow or wxObject, messagemanager is a descendant of wxNotebook, and well, you get the idea.

The change is definitely not trivial if we want to do something than just hide the frame.

takeshimiya

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 12:20:24 am »
I supposed that, so...

There's any way to call the compiler dll directly, and tell it to compile?
I suppose the compiler functions are enough separated from the GUI functions (wxBase, wxCore parts doesn't need a GUI).

I don't mind if this belongs to codeblocks.exe or a separeted codeblocks-make.exe (just like MSVC 2005 does).

This way, C::B will act as a very good make alternative :)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 02:29:06 pm »
Added --target command-line option.
Example:
Code
codeblocks.exe --personality=Build --hidden --rebuild --target="Release" ogre_sample.cbp > build.log

Also revamped the compiler plugin and it's now using a CommandQueue. This has simplified the plugin code a lot.
Be patient!

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 03:31:25 pm »
Code
codeblocks.exe --personality=Build --hidden --rebuild --target="Release" ogre_sample.cbp > build.log

Judging by the redirection, I presume it now also sends the build outpout to stdout? If so, you forgot to mention this.

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 03:33:01 pm »
It seems that the last changes broke the linux-version of the compilergcc-plugin. While trying to compile the recent svn-version I got this error:
Code
compilergcc.cpp: In member function `int CompilerGCC::DoRunQueue()':
compilergcc.cpp:767: error: ambiguous overload for 'operator+' in 'operator+(const wxString&, const wxChar*)(((const char*)" \'")) + cmd'
/usr/include/wx-2.6/wx/string.h:1466: note: candidates are: wxString operator+(const wxString&, const wxString&) <near match>
/usr/include/wx-2.6/wx/string.h:1467: note:                 wxString operator+(const wxString&, wxChar) <near match>
/usr/include/wx-2.6/wx/string.h:1468: note:                 wxString operator+(wxChar, const wxString&) <near match>
/usr/include/wx-2.6/wx/string.h:1470: note:                 wxString operator+(const wxChar*, const wxString&) <near match>
/usr/include/wx-2.6/wx/string.h:1479: note:                 wxString operator+(const wxString&, const wxCharBuffer&) <near match>
/usr/include/wx-2.6/wx/longlong.h:909: note:                 wxLongLong operator+(long int, const wxLongLong&) <near match>
/usr/include/wx-2.6/wx/longlong.h:922: note:                 wxULongLong operator+(long unsigned int, const wxULongLong&) <near match>
make[4]: *** [compilergcc.lo] Error 1

This is the problematic line:
Code
cmd = GetConsoleShell() + _T(" '") + cmd + _T("'");

I assume that it should look like this:
Code
cmd->command = GetConsoleShell() + _T(" '") + cmd->command + _T("'");
I don't know if it's correct and I could not test it yet but (at least in my opinion) it makes more sense than before and it compiles without any problems.
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 03:44:08 pm »
Judging by the redirection, I presume it now also sends the build outpout to stdout? If so, you forgot to mention this.

Yes, I thought it was evident by the example :)

I assume that it should look like this:
Code
cmd->command = GetConsoleShell() + _T(" '") + cmd->command + _T("'");
I don't know if it's correct and I could not test it yet but (at least in my opinion) it makes more sense than before and it compiles without any problems.

Yes, you 're right. I haven't built it under linux yet so I missed it. Fixed and commited now.
Be patient!

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 04:12:57 pm »
I just discovered another issue with that line. It encloses the command (that will be passed to the shell) with backticks ('). This makes sense but collides with the title for the shell which is also enclosed in backticks:
Code
shell.Replace(_T("$TITLE"), _T("'") + m_Project->GetTitle() + _T("'"));
(This should be line 1134 in 'compilergcc.cpp'.)

Thus I think we should use double quotes (") to enclose the title instead of backticks. This seems to work (at least in my little test).
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 04:15:01 pm »
Also revamped the compiler plugin and it's now using a CommandQueue. This has simplified the plugin code a lot.

O.O You mean *BESIDES* the cmdlinegenerator stuff you had added?

Wow! I'd love to have a look at that!

I just discovered another issue with that line. It encloses the command (that will be passed to the shell) with backticks ('). This makes sense but collides with the title for the shell which is also enclosed in backticks:
Code
shell.Replace(_T("$TITLE"), _T("'") + m_Project->GetTitle() + _T("'"));
(This should be line 1134 in 'compilergcc.cpp'.)

Thus I think we should use double quotes (") to enclose the title instead of backticks. This seems to work (at least in my little test).

No, backticks ` are different from single quotes ' . Notice the backticks are a little skewed, like the Tower of Pisa (lol).