Author Topic: Toolchain executables/Linker for dynamic libs  (Read 6656 times)

Offline dennosaurus

• Single posting newcomer
Toolchain executables/Linker for dynamic libs
« on: July 23, 2011, 04:56:30 pm »
I attempted to build a static library project using Microsoft 2010 x32 build software which caused Codeblocks to generate a lib.exe command instead of link.exe. After this attempt I closed the project and workspace and opened another workspace and project which is a GUI application using Microsoft 2010 x64 build software which built perfectly in Codeblocks yesterday. I rebuilt the project and Codeblocks generated a command to lib.exe instead of link.exe which created a real mess.

Codeblocks is apparently using the entry from Toolchain executables/Linker for dynamic libs as the linker to link a GUI program that is not a library. I do not see a seperate entry for the linker-for-programs in Toolchain executables. Changing Toolchain executables/Linker for dynamic libs from lib.exe to link.exe fixes the problem. Maybe 'Linker for dynamic libs' should be 'Linker for programs' and 'Linker for static libs' should be 'Linker for libraries'.

zabzonk

Re: Toolchain executables/Linker for dynamic libs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:22:00 pm »
Good point - in fact 'Linker for static libs' for MinGW is set to ar, which isn't even a linker (and static libraries are not linked with anything anyway)! I think it should be "Linker" (with nothing about dynamic libs)  and "Librarian for static libs".
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:24:01 pm by Neil Butterworth »