Author Topic: Installing the dependencies for codeblocks on CentOS 5 (Redhat based)  (Read 10134 times)

Offline Krisando

• Multiple posting newcomer
Hey guys, I've followed a few guides for installing codeblocks on CentOS.. none of which have worked.

-They usually either tell you to install something, you go do it and it requires another dependency. >_>
-Tell you to install something, you do it, and the files it requires are not in the location where needed.. if created at all. <_<
-Random complaints why it can't compile.

I've spent over 24 hours on this problem now, and have gotten nowhere.. And wasted a couple of gb of my download usage downloading various things and researching how to do this. (Including downloading the inferior Centos to Debian)

--

For instance this guide: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Linux
In step one I cannot install wxWidgits because it relies on some dependencies. I have also downloaded the source to it, and I cannot seem to compile that either. No freaking idea how I'm meant to install this if not even the RPM's can work the magic.

I cannot compile and install wxGTK because it is dependent on wxWidgits.

All Linux ever wants to do is error and complain why it cannot do something.. I am extremely sick and tired of tediously wasting my time on this, spending entire nights, just getting nowhere. Any help would be appreciated.

If it's even possible to compile and send me a working codeblocks package, I would be extremely greatful. Or even help me get this working.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:01:19 pm by Krisando »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Installing the dependencies for codeblocks on CentOS 5 (Redhat based)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 01:30:06 pm »
Have you tried this command yum list -v  | grep -i wx ?
What is its output? Mine is:
Code
wxBase.x86_64                            2.8.9-1.fc8            installed       
wxGTK.x86_64                             2.8.9-1.fc8            installed      
wxGTK-devel.x86_64                       2.8.9-1.fc8            installed      
wxGTK-gl.x86_64                          2.8.9-1.fc8            installed    

I don't remember how I've installed it but it was something like: "yum install wxGTK wxGTK-devel".
As far as I can see centos don't have packages for wxWidgets. So you have two solutions:
1. Find another repo with centos support:
read this: http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge
and this: http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

here are your packages: http://packages.sw.be/wxGTK/

2. Build wxGTK from source...

Edit: here is another repo for centos packages: http://rpm.pbone.net/ -> goto search -> advanced and voila, there is codeblocks + wxGTK
You have to add this repo and remove others and you'll be able to install cb with one command: yum install codeblocks (probably)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:32:52 pm by oBFusCATed »
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Krisando

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 02:47:06 pm »
Wow I had no idea such amazing repositories existed! :shock:

I can't seem to find any repositories for CentOS "Codeblocks", would you happen to know a compatible distribution?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:51:36 pm »
Look at the title of topic you've started :)
As far as I know centos is following redhat enterprise linux....
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Krisando

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 03:16:24 pm »
Oh didn't realize it was Redhat Enterprise and not just Redhat, didn't know they stopped.

yum install codeblocks - does not seem to want to install any packages.

I added the pbone for RH EL5, codeblocks does not ring it any bells. A google search on the website gave me:
codeblocks-contrib-10.05-1.el5.i386.rpm
codeblocks-10.05-1.el5.i386.rpm

But their riddled with dependencies. =\

--

Out of some freak accident (luck?) the repository seemed to have made "wxGTK-2.8.11-1.el5.i386.rpm" install. So hopefully now I just have to compile codeblocks? =\
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:34:49 pm by Krisando »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 03:34:00 pm »
have you executed yum update?

Offline Krisando

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:44:33 pm »
Woah I actually got Codeblocks to install and run.. ;O

I do not want anyone having to go through what I have had to, inorder to get this running,
This website somehow made me gather all the necessary components I needed accidentally.
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libcodeblocks.so.0

Such a harsh process =\
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:02:41 pm by Krisando »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 05:00:40 pm »
could you document here, the steps that were really needed please ?

Offline Krisando

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 12:31:27 am »
Extract all the .deb bin & lib contents manually. It's the only way to get Codeblocks to work in CentOS and Debian Linux. The whole dependency thing is bugged up, you can install the required dependency, but it will still have the same dependency issues.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 06:44:55 am »
You should not need to extract any binaries manually on debian (at least not for packages build from our sources without changes).
But you probably need a package manager to resolve all dependencies, otherwise it's quite hard.

I will test it on a clean fresh debian install and see if any dependencies for installing and running C::B (not for building and linking) are missing and add them if it is not the case.

I do not use rpm-based distros (except for testing) and there I mostly build C::B from sources, so I can not check what is probably missing there.