Author Topic: How do I include C files in a wxWidgets C++ project  (Read 2913 times)

Offline spike351

• Single posting newcomer
How do I include C files in a wxWidgets C++ project
« on: December 12, 2010, 07:36:12 am »
I am a newbie here and just learning about Code::Blocks using MinGW.  I can't find anything in the forum archives that address this, so maybe it is just me.

I have a library of standard ANSI C functions I want to include in a wxWidgets project.

I created a demo wxWidgets project called Test.  It contains the files TestApp.cpp and TestMain.cpp (plus associated .h files).  It builds without error and runs fine.

If I go to File|New|File... and add an empty file called abc.c and try to rebuild the project I get dozens of errors.  Adding an empty file called abc.cpp, however, builds as usual.

I can include the code in a cpp file with appropriate extern wrappers (or even just as straight C code allowing it to be compiled as C++) and that gets around the problem, but I don't see why I have to rename the files from .c to .cpp.  Why can't I just include a straight C file?

Am I doing something stupid here or is there a config option I have missed?  How can I include a C file in a C++ project?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: How do I include C files in a wxWidgets C++ project
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:00:21 am »
If you use the wizard-created wxWidgets project, you have to remove -include wx_pch.h from "Project -> Build options -> Compiler settings -> Other options" and make sure to use #include "wx_pch.h" directly in the cpp-files that use precompiled headers (should be already there, so it might be important for newly created files only).

Offline spike351

• Single posting newcomer
Re: How do I include C files in a wxWidgets C++ project
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:29:52 pm »
thank you very much for that information Jens.  Very much appreciated.