Author Topic: Ubuntu 9.04 SDL linker problem (SOLVED).  (Read 9692 times)

Offline peterjoziasse

• Single posting newcomer
Ubuntu 9.04 SDL linker problem (SOLVED).
« on: September 06, 2010, 05:28:46 am »
EDIT: i found the solution here: http://www.munkyjunky.com/2010/03/ubuntu-codeblocks-opengl/

Hello. I use C::B 8.02. Simple sdl programs work, but SDL_image and _ttf dont get recognized.

I have all the SDL-files i need installed on Ubuntu 9.04. Jaunty

~$ dpkg -l | grep libsdl
ii  libsdl-image1.2                            1.2.6-3                                image loading library for Simple DirectMedia
ii  libsdl-image1.2-dev                        1.2.6-3                                development files for SDL 1.2 image loading
ii  libsdl-mixer1.2                            1.2.8-5                                mixer library for Simple DirectMedia Layer 1
ii  libsdl-mixer1.2-dev                        1.2.8-5                                development files for SDL1.2 mixer library
ii  libsdl-sound1.2                            1.0.3-3                                Decoder of several sound file formats for SD
ii  libsdl-sound1.2-dev                        1.0.3-3                                Development files for SDL_sound
ii  libsdl-ttf2.0-0                            2.0.9-1                                ttf library for Simple DirectMedia Layer wit
ii  libsdl-ttf2.0-dev                          2.0.9-1                                development files for SDL ttf library (versi
ii  libsdl1.2-dev                              1.2.13-4ubuntu3                        Simple DirectMedia Layer development files
ii  libsdl1.2debian                            1.2.13-4ubuntu3                        Simple DirectMedia Layer
ii  libsdl1.2debian-alsa                       1.2.13-4ubuntu3                        Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA

I open a new sdl-template-codeblocks project and go project->properties->libraries and include sdl (it only finds sdl and NOT SDL_image or SDL_ttf).

Then I include the following to my main.cpp:

#include "SDL.h"
#include "SDL_image.h"
#include "SDL_ttf.h"

I build it .........

ERROR:

Compiling: main.cpp
Linking console executable: bin/Debug/klaar
obj/Debug/main.o: In function `clean_up()':
/home/peter/Documents/lesson07/klaar/main.cpp:135: undefined reference to `TTF_CloseFont'
/home/peter/Documents/lesson07/klaar/main.cpp:138: undefined reference to `TTF_Quit'
obj/Debug/main.o: In function `init()':
/home/peter/Documents/lesson07/klaar/main.cpp:92: undefined reference to `TTF_Init'
obj/Debug/main.o: In function `load_image(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >)':
/home/peter/Documents/lesson07/klaar/main.cpp:38: undefined reference to `IMG_Load'
obj/Debug/main.o: In function `load_files()':
/home/peter/Documents/lesson07/klaar/main.cpp:110: undefined reference to `TTF_OpenFont'
obj/Debug/main.o: In function `main':
/home/peter/Documents/lesson07/klaar/main.cpp:162: undefined reference to `TTF_RenderText_Solid'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
6 errors, 0 warnings

Plz help. Thank you in advance for your time.

PS. I know theres a way to permanently configure c::b to thoses sdl-libs via setting->compiler&debugger->?. But I dont know what to link or where.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:59:24 pm by peterjoziasse »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Ubuntu 9.04 SDL linker problem
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:57:04 pm »
I open a new sdl-template-codeblocks project and go project->properties->libraries and include sdl (it only finds sdl and NOT SDL_image or SDL_ttf).
What does this mean?
You've to use `sdl-config --cflags` and `sdl-config --libs`

Have you read this: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/docs/SDL_image.html (2.2 Compiling)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline peterjoziasse

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 06:34:37 pm »
when i use the command line i get:

~$ sdl-config --cflags --libs
-I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT
-L/usr/lib -lSDL

I dont know what to do with this. I dont want to use the command line. I want to use code::blocks, write my program and hit "Build and Run". Is there a way to setup codeblocks to automatically use SDL_image and SDL_ttf?

Offline kencamargo

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 01:53:49 am »
when i use the command line i get:

~$ sdl-config --cflags --libs
-I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT
-L/usr/lib -lSDL

I dont know what to do with this. I dont want to use the command line. I want to use code::blocks, write my program and hit "Build and Run". Is there a way to setup codeblocks to automatically use SDL_image and SDL_ttf?

You are using the command line whether you want or not.

Anyway, menu Project|Build Options

Look for Compiler settings, tab Other options, add `sdl-config --cflags` (exactly like that)
Then look for Linker settings, Other link options, `sdl-config --libs` (again, exactly like that)

Should do the trick. Usually helps when you know what you are doing.
And, finally, 8.02 is a very outdated version of C::B.

HTH,
Ken

Offline peterjoziasse

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 SDL linker problem (SOLVED).
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 08:30:57 am »
That did work. Thank you for the quick reply. I'm trying to learn c++, sdl and hopefully opengl. I know my way around C, java and some prolog. Now that everything is set up correctly, i can try the code as i learn (helps to code alongside just reading :)).

I'll alsp look into the new versions of c::b and sdl.

When my C::B-fu gets better, hopefully I can help others on this forum. For now I'll just browse and not ask newbie questions.

Thanks again!! :D