Author Topic: DragScroll plugin (was: new scintilla 2.0 was released)  (Read 16174 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: DragScroll plugin (was: new scintilla 2.0 was released)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 08:33:06 pm »
I have to say this middle mouse thing does not work for me.

My mouse has 2 buttons, and a scrollwheel which can also be pressed (as such the middle mouse key). But no luck.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 09:08:36 pm »
It works for me, but not exactly as normally on linux.
If you highlight some text with the left mouse-button, move the mouse cursor, click the middle mouse-button (or the scroll-wheel in your and my case) and it will be pasted, but only  the highlighted text.
Or highlight some text, place the cursor inside the highlighted text and press the middle mouse-button. Now you can paste it multiple times with the mouse.

mariocup

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 07:47:07 am »
Hi Jens, Hi killerbot,

at the moment I do not know how we can make this available functionality more obvious for the users. For example the block select mode is available in CB but I think that 80% of the users do not know that it is available at all. A few days ago I installed Eclipse (Gallileo) and one of the hightlights in the release notes is, that Eclipse has now a block select mode. It is funny that so many people are contributing eclipse and such a fundamental feature has been missing so long. For enabling the block select mode there is a toggle icon so that every stupid user will see that Eclipse has this feature.
So my question is how can we make such features like block select mode or MouseSnap more obvious for new users. I think that new users try to play around a few days with new products and after that there will use only the functionality they discovered until this day. I will add some information in the CB docu, but I think that developers do not like to read manuals so we should think about different solutions :-)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 09:34:21 am »
first : on another linux box : it works :-)

second : how do we make obvious to users that such a feature is available. Excellent question, but I don't know the answer.

* at minimum adding it to the list of tip of  the day [for a use like me this will have no impact, since the first thing I do is turn of those things]
* manual like you said, but people do not tend to read those
* little video snippets on the main website, that show such features
* extra buttons: but that means you can turn on/off [we have to make sure we don't make things to complicated; and someone like me will not have a look at all the button to wonder what they do; maybe I am a *bad* user ;-)]

mariocup

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 10:12:54 am »
I think that most users do the following if they are interested in a product:

1. Go to the webpage
2. Go to feature list and look at the screenshots
3. Check available documentation and forums

So the best solution is properly to put some content at the CB webpage. Currently the available features are no so obvious when reading the CB homepage and if a feature list is too long (without any screenshots) the users tend to skip reading a document or even forget everything. For the HighTec webpage I started already a CB feature section (which needs improvement too):
http://www.hightec-rt.com/en/products/codeblocks/63-integrated-development-environment.html

What we have to decide is which feature should be mentioned and perhaps is interesting for users. If we make such a list, I would do the documentation, since devs are not pleased if they have to write documentation :-)

Another thing is that currently the webpage is to static, so we need a bit more dynamic, such as providing download links for nightlies etc.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 11:27:26 am »
There could be 2 feature lists - "best features" and full/all features
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

mariocup

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 12:35:40 pm »
Since most of the CB users work with different IDEs they know the best what is nice in CB or differs from other IDEs. For example something like "Syntax highlighting" is not a feature which should be mentioned because almost every editor has it. We should make some kind of list why new users love to work with Code::Blocks.

The structure how the features are presented is important to filter the relevant features easily. Perhaps the grouping could be something like: - Project/Build Management, Search/Navigation ...