Author Topic: learncpp.com follow along help  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Thingthree

• Single posting newcomer
learncpp.com follow along help
« on: July 01, 2010, 05:26:14 am »
So, I happened upon a nice c++ free tutorial on the web (www.learncpp.com and am just beginning to learn C++ and working into programming for the first time. Although a great website the tutorial was written a few year back; the information is valid, but in some cases there are instances in which the demonstration software doesn't match perfectly with newer software. Although I am new to c++ and programming I will try and give all the advice I can on ways to work through the tutorial with newer programs. Much of my advice will be restricted to my perspective of working through the tutorial using Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express and the newest version of Code::Blocks. I would greatly appreciate any help from more experienced programmers as questions arise which I cannot answer.

Offline Thingthree

Re: learncpp.com follow along help
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:36:19 am »
I'll be running through the tutorial with these programs for now. (I'll add more if the tutorial requires more programs later)
OS windows 7 premium
Microsoft Visual C++ Express
Code::Blocks (newest version)

Please head your questions and answers with 'learncpp.com' followed by the section of website which your question or answer comes from.
Example: learncpp.com .1
(If this topic takes off no need for hunting for days through it for the solution you're looking for just type the heading of a section you're looking for in the search engine of this website and it should pull up what you're looking for if the question has been answered)

Thanks and I hope this topic is helpful to someone : D,
Thingthree

Offline Thingthree

Re: learncpp.com follow along help
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:57:20 am »
learncpp.com .06

This .exe file should help for lack of knowing a better way to say fix the debugger to allow you to complete the HelloWorld Code::Blocks part of the tutorial. gdb-5.2.1-1.exe I would advise searching the web for the latest version; however, this version of the file will allow you to continue on with the tutorial. http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~jeffery/win32/

Also another problem with building the HelloWorld project is...

"You need to set up our compiler paths and/or executable names correctly (Compiler settings, toolchain executables). Apparently your gcc is either installed in a location where Code::Blocks doesn't find them, or it has a non-standard name."-thomas Administrator

At .6 into the tutorial this sounds like an intimidating task, I'm sure a bit farther into the tutorial this will make a sense. Luckily the solution to this problem has already been addressed on this website here http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=9456.0;prev_next=next

Thingthree