Author Topic: wxWidgets compiling problems  (Read 6072 times)

Offline codeblockdna

• Single posting newcomer
wxWidgets compiling problems
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:58:59 pm »
Hello,

I am new to codeblocks and I am using the borland free compiler (I know a little out of date:).  I have setup an compiled (with bcc32) a normal console app successfully, but I have not been able to get a wxWidget program to work.  I am following the wizard and get all the way to linking and then I get these messages about unresolved externals:
-------------- Build: Release in testnew ---------------

Linking executable: bin\Release\testnew.exe
Error: Unresolved external 'wxColourBase::FromString(const wchar_t *)' referenced from C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\user\DESKTOP\SANDBOX\TEST\TESTNEW\OBJ\RELEASE\TESTNEWAPP.OBJ
Error: Unresolved external 'wxStringBase::InitWith(const wchar_t *, unsigned int, unsigned int)' referenced from C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\user\DESKTOP\SANDBOX\TEST\TESTNEW\OBJ\RELEASE\TESTNEWMAIN.OBJ
Error: Unresolved external 'wxStringBase::ConcatSelf(unsigned int, const wchar_t
 *, unsigned int)' referenced from C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\user\DESKTOP\SANDBOX\TEST\TESTNEW\OBJ\RELEASE\TESTNEWMAIN.OBJ
Error: Unresolved external 'wxApp::Initialize(int&, wchar_t * *)' referenced from C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\user\DESKTOP\SANDBOX\TEST\TESTNEW\OBJ\RELEASE\TESTNEWAPP.OBJ
Process terminated with status 2 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings

Any thoughts?

This is a release build, and I have slightly the same problem with the debug build.  Am I missing a .lib file or something?  I am including all .libs in my wxWidgets lib directory.

Any help would be great.  I am really excited about using codeblocks and wxWidgets.

Thanks!

codeblockdna

Offline reckless

• Regular
Re: wxWidgets compiling problems
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:20:02 am »
havent used the old borland compiler in like ages but if memory serves me correctly you needed to edit two config files for it to pick up its libraries (should be in the readme which ones).

just an advise btw if its not related to codeblocks (no codeblocks is not a compiler) then the topic will probably end up locked.

Online stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:26:35 am »
My last BCC thread
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,11294.0.html

Edit:I believe support for BCC55 was dropped in wxWidgets 2.9 dev branch; they were discussing it a year or so ago. The 2.8 releases should still work with BCC55. No body wanted to do the fixes to keep BCC55 working. The person doing BCC59 fixes was fixing most of the BCC55 issues; but, some might not be found by an BCC59 compiler and be missed. The main problem I believe was standard template related issues.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:37:40 am by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline codeblockdna

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:51:16 am »
Thanks for the replies!

I actually came across the thread about borland before, but it looked like it refers to more of a general compiler setting.

The compiler works with codeblocks (at least so far - thanks for the heads up on 2.9!).  However it is how it is interacting with wxSmith (wxWidgets) that is weird.  Maybe I will try to compile a program with wxWidgets outside of codeblocks to see if I have the same issues.

Thanks again!

codeblocksdna

Online stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 03:53:54 am »
I do not use wxSmith; so I can not help you there.
No idea if wxSmith has issues with BCC32; but, I would not be surprised if it did.

If you can point to a simple wxSmith example you are doing; I can try it with GCC and then BCC32 and see if it is wxSmith issue.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org