Author Topic: Shuffling project between OSs  (Read 5190 times)

Offline kencamargo

• Multiple posting newcomer
Shuffling project between OSs
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:33:18 pm »
Hello,

Is there an easy way to transport a project back and forth between Linux and win environments? What I have done so far is to generate an empty project on one side and copy the source files from the other, but this becomes a little impractical as projects grow in complexity, and the wxSmith GUI files are not automatically added to the project.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

Offline koso

Re: Shuffling project between OSs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:09:38 pm »
I am using the same project files in Linux and Windows and have no problems so far. You haven't written, why you cant do it this way so it is difficult to help. When there are different paths in your environments, you can use global variables...

Offline frithjofh

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 11:26:49 pm »
Hi,

if I recall correctly there is a thread in the forum dealing with cross compilation issues. I could imagine you should find some useful ideas there too, as it seems the topics are a bit related.

Regards

frithjofh
architect with some spare time  -  c::b compiled from last svn  -   openSuSE leap x86_64  -  AMD FX-4100

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:53:21 am »
I am using the same project files in Linux and Windows and have no problems so far. You haven't written, why you cant do it this way so it is difficult to help. When there are different paths in your environments, you can use global variables...

Under win, you have a long list of libraries and paths; under Linux code::blocks uses the wx-config route, which is far simpler. AFAIK this is not available under win.

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 04:57:04 am »
if I recall correctly there is a thread in the forum dealing with cross compilation issues. I could imagine you should find some useful ideas there too, as it seems the topics are a bit related.

Hi there,
Nope, not exactly cross-compiling. That much I'm comfortable with. The problem is that I have one specific app that shows a crazy bug when cross-compiled (under Linux for win x86), which goes away when compiled under win (on a VM, which is a different beast from cross-compilation). In this particular case I have to migrate a project accross OSs, not cross-compile to one target OS from another host OS.
But thanks anyway.
Ken

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:12:41 am »
You can create different targets for windows and linux and keep them in the same project-file (and/or workspace).

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:15:13 am »
You can create different targets for windows and linux and keep them in the same project-file (and/or workspace).

I know, Jens, I've been doing that for a while now, using your instructions and packages (thank you, btw). The issue here is that I have one specific project that has a problem when I do the cross build under Linux, so I have to take the whole thing to a Win vm, and I can't simply take the same project; as I wrote elsewhere, under Linux the wx-config script is used (even for the cross-compiling), that is not the case under Win. Or am I missing something?

Ken

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 06:01:01 am »
For an wx-config under windows see http://sites.google.com/site/wxconfig/
Note, I do not think that will solve your problem; but, it might help.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 02:48:20 am »
For an wx-config under windows see http://sites.google.com/site/wxconfig/
Note, I do not think that will solve your problem; but, it might help.

Tim S.

Thanks Tim, this will certainly help, even if it doesn't solve everything.

Ken

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 05:04:21 pm »

I know, Jens, I've been doing that for a while now, using your instructions and packages (thank you, btw). The issue here is that I have one specific project that has a problem when I do the cross build under Linux, so I have to take the whole thing to a Win vm, and I can't simply take the same project; as I wrote elsewhere, under Linux the wx-config script is used (even for the cross-compiling), that is not the case under Win. Or am I missing something?

If you have win32 and linux targets in your project you can specify compiler and link options for each target (the lib list for win32, wx-config for linux). Why doesn't this work for you?