Author Topic: Library linking - end of ?s  (Read 3717 times)

Offline codie

• Single posting newcomer
Library linking - end of ?s
« on: March 17, 2010, 04:44:05 pm »
"I don't get it: Why are people that lazy today and don't just try to search their selves for a minute?
Googleing took me 5 seconds and revealed this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENZZ326&q=%60TransparentBlt%27+was+not+declared+in+this+scope&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Posting the question here takes way more time and disrespects our forum rules.

Topic locked."

Copied the above from Linking Library topic started by Codie

OK Gentlemen.

I've been registered here for over a week and searched many many times for answers and found many good answers.

The topic about linking libraries is about CodeBlocks.  I also use Visual C++ but want to learn more about CodeBlocks.  I'm not having the same problems with VC++ that I am with CodeBlocks.

But, I don't tolerate flames that are not warranted.  Sorry, if I disrespected your site.  I thought the problem may have been due to my lack of knowledge of the CodeBlocks INTERFACE.

I will continue to search here for answers (unless you want to block me from this site) ... but if your intent was to influence me from posting here again ... you succeded.  I may post once or twice more if I'm insulted again, then thats IT.

OH and I google all the time.  I've been to about 3 or 4 dozen places or more with discussions on the TransparentBlt() issues and found nothing that solves my problems.

Sorry again.  Thanks for the help I did receive.

C

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: Library linking - end of ?s
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:28:45 pm »
The issue is as follows:

You are having problems compiling a program because it is trying to use a function or name that the compiler cannot find. That means you are having a programming issue, and the IDE has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Did you forget to include the right header file? Does your compiler come with it? We have no idea, and we provide no support at all for that. All we do here is to create a nice user interface for you to write your programs, manage your projects, call the compiler and linker for you, make debugging nicer than typing commands in a console and a bunch of extra goodies. We are not responsible for the compiler, linker, debugger, profiler, libraries, headers or such, and that is the reason why we do not give support for them.

It is true that we provide an installer with a compiler suite (MinGW), but it is just for mere convenience. We are in no way associated with the guys of MinGW or GCC, neither did we write those programs.

In mostly every board it states that we do not provide support for general programming questions, and that is where your question falls in. The moderators get irritated very easily because it has been years now that people ask almost every single day the same questions, or they insist in asking questions that have absolutely nothing to do with us. They have become quite harsh because of that, and that is the reason why you find such blunt answers with a "Topic locked" at the end.

It is normal at first to compare us with Visual C++, because you basically get a full alternative to it for free. The main difference is: Microsoft builds and releases both the IDE and the compiler packed together, we, on the other hand, only build and release the IDE (once again, the compiler is provided just for mere convenience). That is why we do not give support for compiler specific issues, because it has nothing to do with us.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 06:13:59 pm »
The main difference is: Microsoft builds and releases both the IDE and the compiler packed together, we, on the other hand, only build and release the IDE (once again, the compiler is provided just for mere convenience).
Don't forget that as the MSVC IDE supports only one compiler (the one from MS) it can also do a lot of "auto-foo magic" like pre-setting up a bunch of libraries you may need to use / link against. That's why everything seems to work nicely in the first place, but try to incorporate a 3rd party non Win-API lib in MSVC and you are at the same level as you are now with C::B.

We can't and won't do such initial magic as we support many compilers and even cross platform. Every automatism we do may work for one compiler but surely not for a bunch of others. So that's why it's not in our focus and won't be.

Your issue is that you don't link against a library your application needs. This library implements the function the linker errors with. Where this function is implemented depends on the compiler / library set you are using, even on the versions of these in a lot of cases.

As you see: That's why it is not in our focus and we can hardly help you. You can try to provide your whole project (including the project file) so a developer with experience in the compiler you are using can just open / try himself.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline codie

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:16:44 pm »
Thanks for replies.

A more succint version of the answers above would have been much more appropriate.  I appreciate your time.

Regardless, I won't be posting here again.  I hope I can remain a member so I can search for answers but posting is out of the question.  I don't need the aggravation.  I can post at one of the other forums I'm registered out (and yes, I do read the rules and regulations where I register).

Good luck to all.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:19:15 pm by codie »