Author Topic: [Fixed]mingw32-gcc.exe: installation problem, cannot exec `as': Invalid argument  (Read 9435 times)

Offline Ed_Bighead

• Single posting newcomer
Version of C::B = 8.02
Version of GTK = 2.18.7
OS = Vista SP2

Getting error message: mingw32-gcc.exe: installation problem, cannot exec `as': Invalid argument
when I create a GTK project and try to compile main.c (The helloworld program that is default).
Here is the full compile log:

mingw32-gcc.exe -mms-bitfields -Wall  -g    -I"C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\GTK+\include" -I"C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\GTK+\include\gtk-2.0" -I"C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\GTK+\include\cairo" -I"C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\GTK+\include\gdk" -I"C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\GTK+\include\glib-2.0" -I"C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\GTK+\lib\glib-2.0\include" -I"C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\GTK+\include\pango-1.0" -I"C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\GTK+\lib\gtk-2.0\include" -I"C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\GTK+\include\atk-1.0"  -c C:\Users\NAME\Desktop\CompSci\GreatDay\GTK+_Tests\test\main.c -o obj\Debug\main.o
mingw32-gcc.exe: installation problem, cannot exec `as': Invalid argument
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings

as.exe is located in both "C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin" and "C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\MinGW\i686-pc-mingw32\bin" and the system PATH includes both directories.

Googling the error only comes up with a few things regarding g95.exe so I'm not quite sure how to fix it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:56:04 am by Ed_Bighead »

Offline Ed_Bighead

• Single posting newcomer
Turns out it wasn't just the one file that wouldn't compile - everything I tried gave the error.

Solution:

Downloaded and reisntalled MinGW (the .exe from mingw.org) to C:\MinGW. Changed the Compiler Settings in C::B to reflect the new path (I also changed the system PATH variable, not sure if that would have mattered) and now everything works great.