Author Topic: DX sample project is failing with invalid compiler [YOUR ANSWER IS ALREADY THERE. SEARCH THE FORUMS!]; but compiler is setup.  (Read 4853 times)

Offline TerryP

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • My journal
Greetings, I've been testing Code::Blocks the past couple days under FreeBSD and Windows. On FreeBSD, I installed the port of 8.02 and it works fairly well, aside from a tendency to crash while dragging docks around; I plan to test svn builds later.

For the Windows side of these tests: I installed a nightly, made the auto detected "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005/2008" compiler the default one, set compiler logging to full command line, updated that compilers search directories to reflect various SDKs and related materials I have installed, and so on. Everything should be setup correctly according to the docs, and it ought to work with any libraries I've already had built in Visual C++.

As a first test, I setup a dialog based GUI Application -- it compiles and builds perfectly. Second test was to setup a DirectX 9 application, but it dies with the following output:

Quote from: Build log
"CBDXTest - Release" uses an invalid compiler [YOUR ANSWER IS ALREADY THERE. SEARCH THE FORUMS!]. Probably the toolchain path within the compiler options is not setup correctly?! Skipping...
Nothing to be done.

Since the Windows GUI app builds perfectly fine, I would reckon that the compiler paths are setup correctly. As one might infer, both were built using the same compiler.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong?

Relevant System information:

Code::Blocks: 2010-01-12 nightly / rev6080 / win32.
Arch: X86_32.
Compiler: Visual C++ Express Edition 2008 / 9.0.
Notes: Platform SDK, DirectX SDK, and so on is installed correctly.
Just Another Computer Geek

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Do both projects use the same compiler?
If not, make the one that does not work use the same compiler.

Is the working Compiler the default Compiler?
If not, make it the default Compiler; reduces user error a lot.

After making the default compiler the working one, use wizard to create a simple command line project.
Does it work?

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline TerryP

• My journal
Do both projects use the same compiler?

Yes, as noted.

Is the working Compiler the default Compiler?

Yes, as noted.

After making the default compiler the working one, use wizard to create a simple command line project.
Does it work?

Tim S.

Just tested it using the default compiler (same) and leaving all the per project settings at the defaults given by the wizard. Works perfectly.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
After checking the project settings for all targets and they all use the correct compiler, change the project compiler to a close but different compiler and say yes to changing all targets.

Then change the project compiler back to the correct compiler (and all sub-targets) and save the project.

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline TerryP

• My journal
*shrugs* that seems to have done it, it now runs the compiler and once UNICODE is added to the targets #defines, builds the thing perfectly fine.

Thanks