Author Topic: I can't run Codeblocks  (Read 22403 times)

Offline Mentos

• Single posting newcomer
I can't run Codeblocks
« on: November 17, 2009, 12:39:56 pm »
Hi!
I use Opensuse 11.2 x64. I have installed Codeblocks and when i try to run it, i get this error: codeblocks: relocation error: /usr/lib64/libcodeblocks.so.0: symbol _Z18wxSafeConvertWX2MBPKw, version WXU_2.8.2 not defined in file libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0 with link time reference
. What do i have to do?
Thanks

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: I can't run Codeblocks
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 12:52:21 pm »
Where did you get your C::B from ?

Seems that openSuse supplies a wxWidgets-library, that is not compatible with the one your C::B is linked against.

Offline Mentos

kurtis99

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 06:02:54 pm »
same problem!
I use Ubuntu 9.10
Code
mike@myHome:~$ codeblocks 
codeblocks: relocation error: /usr/lib/libcodeblocks.so.0: symbol _Z18wxSafeConvertWX2MBPKw, version WXU_2.8.2 not defined in file libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0 with link time reference
but if I run codeblocks with -d gui starts, but build (F5) fails with same error message
Code
mike@myHome:~$ codeblocks -d

i got my code::blocks from nightly build (in this http://apt.jenslody.de/ debian repository)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:05:11 pm by kurtis99 »

Offline Mentos

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 06:29:08 pm »
if i write codeblocks -d, CB begins but there are these errors: /usr/lib64/codeblocks/plugins/libdebugger.so: not loaded (missing symbols?)
/usr/lib64/codeblocks/plugins/libcodesnippets.so: not loaded (missing symbols?)
/usr/lib64/codeblocks/plugins/libcompiler.so: not loaded (missing symbols?)
/usr/lib64/codeblocks/plugins/libIncrementalSearch.so: not loaded (missing symbols?)

Offline koso

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:57:06 pm »
Easiest for both of you is to build it on your own. You need only to build C::B agains binary distributed wx libraries from your repositories. It is queit easy if you have all needed development packages and standard build tools -> more info on cb wiki page.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 09:10:16 pm »
i got my code::blocks from nightly build (in this http://apt.jenslody.de/ debian repository)

I build for debian, and the packages, so I can not link against the wxWidgets libs provided by ubuntu, but you can use the packages from pasgui's repo:
see http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,11504.msg78403.html#msg78403.

In my opinion it's not a C::B problem if either pacjkages that are not made for distro have problems, or if packages made for a distro (like the openSUse packages) just not run.

The package maintainers have to fix this,  devs can't do anything here.

I only tested build on ubuntu 9.10 and it works fine, if linked against the ubuntu-version of wxwidgets, but does not run, if linked against the version from apt.wxwidgets.org.

I will test it on openSuse 11.2 soon (I installed it in a kvm-virtual machine this afternoon).

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 11:13:10 am »
openSuse 11.2 always runs without errors with C::B from this repo: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/tools:/ide/openSUSE_11.2/ .
All system software updated (C::B version is 5919).

Offline froff

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 11:57:05 pm »
I only tested build on ubuntu 9.10 and it works fine, if linked against the ubuntu-version of wxwidgets, but does not run, if linked against the version from apt.wxwidgets.org.

Hello
c::b does not work with ubuntu-version of wxwidgets (2.8.10-0ubuntu1). So installed wxwidgeds from wxwidgeds repository and now have both. But c::b still tries to use those from ubuntu repository. How to force it to use another library?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:42:58 pm by froff »

Offline froff

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 08:55:11 am »
Heh
I decided to try compilation.
After a long struggle I successfully compiled version froma svn.
But It still does not work !!!!!! - the same problem.

Moreover: removed everything, and turned back old version from ubuntu repo.
The same problem. But before I decided to upgrade from Your repository (and later to compile by myself)
version from ubuntu repo worked well!
I'm under desperate. :(

I think It's good idea to deeply investigate this problem. Ubuntu is one of the major distros and I can see a lot of people have the same problem.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 09:39:49 am »
First question:
Did you try pasgui's packages ?
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,11504.msg78403.html#msg78403

I think It's good idea to deeply investigate this problem. Ubuntu is one of the major distros and I can see a lot of people have the same problem.

It's up to ubuntu to fix this in my opinion.
They supply a version of wxWidgets-libs, that is not compatible to the one supplied by the wxWidgets-guys themselves.

Debian has an own version of wxWidgets 2.8.10 in their (unstable) repos and that works with C::B compiled and linked with/against wxWidgets from apt.wxwidgets.org, so there must be a difference between both versions.

If I remember right I read something about this issue on the Ubuntu bug-tracker or in a mailing list (the first version they supplied had the same error as far as I know).

If you compile from svn, make sure you have only one version of wxWidgets 2.8.10 on your system, either remove everything coming from apt.wxwidgets.org or all the ubuntu-packages (in this case you have to force the use of the apt.wxwidgets.org packages), make sure, wx-config points to the correct install (wx-config --list), run make clean before running ./configure ..., make sure (of course) there aren't any parts of C::B left in system, except the conf-files in ~/.codeblocks, they should not harm (at least not in this way).
If you install C::B to another prefix than /usr, you might need to run ldconfig after installation, see here fore details: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Compiling_Code::Blocks_in_Linux_%28applies_to_all_distros%29#Resolving_issues .

And of coures: my C::B packages are compiled on and for debian, they used to work on ubuntu too, unless the ubuntu maintainers break the compatibility of wxWidgets.
If I get a faster internet-connection at home (just ISDN at the moment, it should come at the beginning of september, but they did not say which year  :( ), I probably will supply special packages for all debian flavours, and probably also for ubuntu, or at least for the broken distros (but this depends of the spare time I have).

kurtis99

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 01:38:17 pm »
I think I found solution for my problem (maybe it will help to somebody).
There was 3 versions of libwxbase2.8-0 package installed on my system, and "active" was version from ubuntu (2.8.10.1-0ubuntu1 (karmic)), so then i found this package in synaptic, pressed Ctrl+E and choose version from jens repository (2.8.10.1-0 (lenny-wx)).

Offline froff

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:08:58 pm »
BINGO kurtis99 :)
Now 5911 works perfectly;
Next I'm going to try latest from svn.

Thank's a lot!

Offline fabi545

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 11:03:39 pm »
I have the same Problem :(

But all thees tips doesn't help me :(

Have you got any other ideas?

//Sorry for my bad English

Offline froff

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 09:07:53 am »
What version are you trying to run?
You should downgrade libwxbase _after_ c::b installation. Probably when installing c::b it turns it back to most recent version from ubuntu repository (I'm not sure).
Try to _complete_ uninstall existing c::b and install 5911 from jens repo (recommended - old official 8.02 has some annoying bugs).
Next downgrade libwxbase to version from wxwidgets repository.

good luck!