Author Topic: Suggestions for next release.  (Read 3674 times)

Offline ossLover

• Single posting newcomer
Suggestions for next release.
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:01:39 am »
Hello guys,

I haven't worked with C::B a lot, but when trying it out I found one missing feature. I can't configure my own key-bindings. The problem is, at my office I use Visual Studio 6 and 2005, and use for compiling like F7, debugging with F5 etc... But when using C::B I have to do other key combinations. So, it's confusing and frustrating to use other keys. It would be really great if I can modify the key-bindings into my flavor.

Another thing is there should be serious support for BOOST libraries. BOOST is mandatory for now, as they provide powerful and professional libs, which is already being partly a C++ standard. I mean C::B is mainly focused on programming C++, than BOOST must be included in the installation package.

I know I have easy talking, but I swear if I had free time I would put a lot of effort to help improve C::B as I like it very much. Especially because it's written by developers for developers.

Thank you.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Suggestions for next release.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:32:18 am »
It would be really great if I can modify the key-bindings into my flavor.
You can do this by using the keybinder plugin.

Another thing is there should be serious support for BOOST libraries. BOOST is mandatory for now, [...]
I don't think so. C::B is also widely used for teaching at universities where boost plays no important role.
In the end if we start bundling boost why not wx, and a few other thousand libraries, too? This makes no sense to me. Shipping just C::B or in a bundle with a compiler and debugger makes sense, but not in addition with 1..n libraries because this can be literally unlimited.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:35:30 am »
Hello guys,

I haven't worked with C::B a lot, but when trying it out I found one missing feature. I can't configure my own key-bindings. The problem is, at my office I use Visual Studio 6 and 2005, and use for compiling like F7, debugging with F5 etc... But when using C::B I have to do other key combinations. So, it's confusing and frustrating to use other keys. It would be really great if I can modify the key-bindings into my flavor.
If you have installed the contrib-plugins, you can use the keybinding-plugin: "Settings -> Editor -> Keyboard shortcuts".

Another thing is there should be serious support for BOOST libraries. BOOST is mandatory for now, as they provide powerful and professional libs, which is already being partly a C++ standard. I mean C::B is mainly focused on programming C++, than BOOST must be included in the installation package.

I know I have easy talking, but I swear if I had free time I would put a lot of effort to help improve C::B as I like it very much. Especially because it's written by developers for developers.

Thank you.

I don't think boost should be included in the installation-package. Neither should any other lib.
It's enough (maybe too much) that C::B ships with MinGW, because every package we bundle will most likely be outdated soon or has issues like the Vista-problems of the MinGW-version shipped with the 8.02 release.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 12:01:02 pm »
I don't think boost should be included in the installation-package. Neither should any other lib.
Agree.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:04:10 pm »
Agree.
Just a hobbyist but I also agree.  The wiki articles on getting Boost, WX, SDL and OGL working are great and have worked for me on WinXP (all service paks), Vista (pre and post sp1), and Ubuntu.  I've updated the wiki myself when a new version of Boost was released so it would point to the most recent packages.  Works great this way.  Bundling would just make the packages fall out of date too quickly.

Offline ossLover

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 01:09:58 pm »
Well, I guess I'm a bit late :p
But thank you for your answers...I understand why to keep C::B clean from 2^n of libraries :)