Author Topic: Compiling and running and even starting  (Read 2743 times)

Spoony

Compiling and running and even starting
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:50:26 pm »
Hey guys, newbie here to c++ and to the forums, so hello from me :)

I thought i'd take up programming properly as im only working/worked with matlab and pascal (mathematical physics student here).

So basically i install the version of C::B that comes with a compilier no worries there, problems start when i choose to make a new project, console application one. On the left in the workspace im greeted by the C::B logo but with nothing underneath it, no drop down 'sources' folder and no .cpp file to edit. I open and close the IDE a few times, mess about with menus and right clicking in various places to no avail. I finally reinstall and try again, still no sources folder or .cpp file, a bit disheartend i go and do something else, 5 minutes pass and i click back on the program the sources folder and .cpp file have magically appeared! I have in front of me a shiney example program promising to print hello world upon my moniter, i excitedly hit F9 in anticipatory glee only to find that nothing happens... i sigh and have a little sit down, 20 minutes pass and im distracted by the moniter as my program has just comiled and ran itself, Hello World! Manicaly taunting me from my desk.

Now i don't know if this is all normal but in both pascal and matlab id be able to start up the program near instantly and compile a hello world program in seconds. So is it meant to be like this? (I understand C++ is a higher level language than those two) Or is something wrong?

TL:DR version; My C::B is taking forever to start up and compile a simple hello world program.

Spoony

Re: Compiling and running and even starting
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 12:42:57 pm »
Sorry i forgot to include information;
Im running vista home premium
quad core 2.4 GHz processor overclocked to 3.2 Ghz (stable for 12 hours in prime95 (little program that claculates lots of pi didgits and then checks them to see if they are right))
4 Gig of 846Hz Ram

I've tried to change the prioritory of the C::B proccess to real time still no luck, i then compilied and check proccesses, the mingw compiler proccess is only using 800K of memory, sounds a little low and and neither are actually using more than 1% of proccessing time in fact its more likely to be 0.