Author Topic: Multiple questions on IDE functionality and usability  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Dakusan

• Single posting newcomer
Multiple questions on IDE functionality and usability
« on: June 17, 2009, 06:57:01 am »
Hi,
  I'm a new C::B user that just moved over from MSVC6 (finally). I've done a ton of research through the wiki/google/forums on any questions that come up, and have been able to answer most all of them except a few. If anyone has any answers or information on any of these I'd really appreciate it!

#1 Is there a way to get floating source windows, or at the very least, view multiple source windows at a time on the screen? I found the splitting option to view 2 source windows, but it will only show the same file.
The closest answer I could find to this was http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,9525.0.html, but it left off last December that it was possibly done but not yet integrated. Is there any more information on this?

#2 When debugging, is there a way to copy the value from a variable in the watch window? It would be really nice if this information came up by default in the "Change value" window.

#3 Does C::B have any kind of plugin or built in function to help make the standard "configure" and "makefile" files? I am really new at this kind of thing, having developed for Windows all my life, and was hoping C::B might have an easy solution to this before I go and start researching the "official" way to make these (assuming they aren't all hand coded,which would be a pain!)

#4 When I do a dependency between 2 projects in a workspace, the dependency obviously being a library, i also have to link the .lib/.a file manually (which is named oddly, the name having "lib" prepended to it O.o) through the "build options>linker settings"; but I'd think having it as a dependency should do this automatically... am i missing something?
Also, on this note, when I link to the .a file manually, shouldn't the linker auto search the directory specified in the project's "build targets>objects output dir"? It would seem that this would be a logical place to always search first, without needing to add it manually as a "search directory" for the linker.

#5 IS there a way to make the compiler stop when a throw/exception occurs? Having the debugger pause on any throw when toggled would be spectacular, but just uncaught exceptions would be enough too. It seemed to me that the dialog window (only available when debugging) at "Debug>Information>Signal Handling" would help me out with this problem, but the only option there "Software generated exception" that seems to fit the bill already has "yes" turned on for all the options.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me!

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Multiple questions on IDE functionality and usability
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:41:26 am »
Hi,
  I'm a new C::B user that just moved over from MSVC6 (finally). I've done a ton of research through the wiki/google/forums on any questions that come up, and have been able to answer most all of them except a few. If anyone has any answers or information on any of these I'd really appreciate it!

#1 Is there a way to get floating source windows, or at the very least, view multiple source windows at a time on the screen? I found the splitting option to view 2 source windows, but it will only show the same file.
The closest answer I could find to this was http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,9525.0.html, but it left off last December that it was possibly done but not yet integrated. Is there any more information on this?

See the screen shot of the AUI branch.

You can build it yourself, quite easy!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:45:46 am by ollydbg »
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline Dakusan

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 07:50:40 am »
Most excellent, thanks! I'll go start playing with the SVN tree :-).

One other question, if anyone could answer. I am highly tempted to try implementing some of my above edits if any of the answers are "this is not yet supported". I'd rather not waste the time on it though if it wouldn't go into the official C::B branch at some point. Is there a specific person/maintainer I could ask "Do you like this idea and If I implemented would it probably be implemented into the official branch?"

Thanks again for your quick reply! :-)

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 07:54:32 am »
All the improvement are welcome, I suggest you can ask the CB developers( or especially the team leader Yiannis Mandravellos: Developer - Project leader).

A simple way is that you can give some patches, then they can add to trunk. :D
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).

Offline Dakusan

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:02:36 am »
Wait a minute... ollydbg, as in the ASM editor ollydbg? Are you the author of that?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:04:25 am by Dakusan »

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:15:57 am »
Wait a minute... ollydbg, as in the ASM editor ollydbg? Are you the author of that?

No, I just love that debugger some years ago...... :shock:

Offline Dakusan

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:17:53 am »
OH, ok ^_^ *loves it too*