Author Topic: Intermittent crashes  (Read 9556 times)

Offline ironhead

• Almost regular
Intermittent crashes
« on: July 22, 2008, 01:19:56 pm »
I'm having an issue with intermittent crashes with C::B.  I've attached the RPT file, but it doesn't look like much help.  I'm running Windows XP Pro using C::B and wxWidgets 2.8.8 compiled by myself using MinGW gcc/g++ 3.4.5.

If there is anything more you would like me to do, please let me know.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Intermittent crashes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:56:59 pm »
There are two crash reason:

1.) The first class of crashes come from the HexEditor plugin... so just disable/remove the HexEditor plugin if you don't need it. But I also believe this crash was fixed recently in SVN. So an update to a more recent nicghtly might work, too

2.) The second one is more difficult. I experience the same from time to time and it goes to:
wxProcess::IsInputAvailable (which wxWidgets)
PipedProcess::HasInput (which is C::B)
and happens on "massive" compiler output parsing.
We are aware of this (Yiannis - remember our chat recently?!) but this is really hard to track down. For now you could try to disable/remove the CodeCompletion plugin (but that's probably not the cause) to get rid of this until we find the reason for this and thus a fix.

With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline ironhead

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:13:19 pm »
There are two crash reason:

1.) The first class of crashes come from the HexEditor plugin... so just disable/remove the HexEditor plugin if you don't need it. But I also believe this crash was fixed recently in SVN. So an update to a more recent nicghtly might work, too

Indeed, it seems that using the arrow keys in HexEditor is now causing a crash (using SVN 5154) I've reported it on the HexEditor plugin thread, so hopefully byo can take a look at that.

2.) The second one is more difficult. I experience the same from time to time and it goes to:
We are aware of this (Yiannis - remember our chat recently?!) but this is really hard to track down. For now you could try to disable/remove the CodeCompletion plugin (but that's probably not the cause) to get rid of this until we find the reason for this and thus a fix.

I'll keep tabs on when I see this occur, and if there is any predictability in terms of reproducing the error, I will let you know.

Thanx!

Chris

Max

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:34:04 pm »

I'm systematically observe this crash removing one lib from the linking option. This force a long list of messages in the build log, at linking time, that triggers the crash.
So I cannot forget a lib.. or crash is assured :D

Max

Offline ironhead

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:21:03 pm »
I'm not sure if it's related, but it looks like there were issues in earlier versions of wxWidgets on Mac that crashed when calling IsInputAvailable.  Could this actually be a bug in wxWidgets?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 02:38:45 pm »
I'm not sure if it's related, but it looks like there were issues in earlier versions of wxWidgets on Mac that crashed when calling IsInputAvailable.  Could this actually be a bug in wxWidgets?
Interesting! Can you provide references? Cause in fact we have (rare) crashes pointing to this Method on Windows, too.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ