Author Topic: Newbie wxFlatNotebook build problem  (Read 8810 times)

Offline VinceI

• Single posting newcomer
Newbie wxFlatNotebook build problem
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:11:00 am »
Hi there,

I'm checking out code::blocks and trying to build an app with svn 4845 on Debian Lenny testing.
I created a wxSmith project consisting of a wxSplitter Window, wxTreeControl and wxFlatNotebook in a wxGridSizer.

When I build the app, I get 6 errors:
Undefined reference to wxFlatNotebook::wxFlatNotebook(wxWindow*, int....
Undefined reference to wxFlatNotebook::addPage(wxWindow*, wxString....
Undefined reference to wxFlatNotebook::wxFlatNotebook(wxWindow*, int....

The plugin is present, even tried a project using wxFormBuilder, simmilar problem.
Am I missing something ??
System: IBM T43 Thinkpad, 1GB RAM, Debian Lenny (testing)

Offline orel

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Newbie wxFlatNotebook build problem
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:47:58 pm »
That's because wxFlatNotebook is not part of wxWidgets library but it is an additional widgets.

You have to build it yourself before using it. You will find the source code of wxFlatNotebook (with a cb project file i think) by checking out one of CB svn directory, but i can't tell you which one (not at home)

orl
windows XP SP2
mingw gcc 3.4.5
svn Code::Blocks and M$ Visual Studio 2005 and .NET to eat!! SVNInside plugin :http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,7063.0.html

Offline VinceI

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:51:25 pm »
Thanks, will look into it.

hrle

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 06:11:01 pm »
Can you please explain how did you manage to build wxFlatNotebook.
And yeah, Code::Blocks rocks! It is very mature piece of software. Currently, I use it on my collage and I am very thankfull for all of you who contribute to this project.

Offline VinceI

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 11:12:34 pm »
I didn't pursue this any further --- yet.
I decided to learn the language so I can hand-write my code instead of using an IDE.
There are lots of benefits going that direction, maybe someone else will give a reply.

hrle

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 07:29:13 am »
I decided to learn the language so I can hand-write my code instead of using an IDE.
There are lots of benefits going that direction, maybe someone else will give a reply.

Yeah, I know. I share the same opinion with you. But, I don't have the time to learn by hand rather by using RAD tool (wxSmith)  :(. To bad...

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:41:51 am »
Writing the code by hand won't change anything - wxFlatNotebook must be compiled manually in both situations, using RAD or not doesn't change anything.

I can provide some guide on how to do it but not now, maybe next week.

Currently you can use standard wxNotebook - it's built in into wxWidgets so you won't have any problems with it.

Regards

BYO

hrle

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 02:07:07 pm »
Yes, I understand. I didn' mean that it will work with wxSmith without compiling. What I was saying is that maybe it is better to code program by hand then by using wxSmith. wxSmith is a good RAD tool, but using it I will never learn the principles, basics. I mean, wxSmith's job is to hide a complexity of a code, the "boring" stuff. But I will never learn this comlexity unless I get my hands dirty. Right?

And thanks byo, I will use the standard wxNotebook for now. And one more question. What about wxMDIParentFrame and wxMDIChildFrame? Will they be intergrated in wxSmith?

Offline rjmyst3

• wxFormBuilder
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 06:51:19 pm »
You might consider wxAUINotebook.
It has some advanced features like tab-dragging but it is still included with wxWidgets.
It is a nearly drop-in replacement for wxFlatNotebook or wxNotebook.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 07:48:05 pm »
And thanks byo, I will use the standard wxNotebook for now. And one more question. What about wxMDIParentFrame and wxMDIChildFrame? Will they be intergrated in wxSmith?

Currently I had to really slow down the development of wxSmith so it won't be anytime soon.

You might consider wxAUINotebook.
It has some advanced features like tab-dragging but it is still included with wxWidgets.
It is a nearly drop-in replacement for wxFlatNotebook or wxNotebook.

This one is very good component (Code::Blocks uses it). wxSmith doesn't support it either (I don't know how about wxFormBuilder right now), but wxAUINotebook is more likely to be added before MDI stuff.

And as you said - the best way to learn wxWidgets is to write some small applications by hand. wxSmith and other RADs are really helpful in case of bigger resources when writing code by becomes little bit complicated, boring and may suffer from many accidential mistakes. So it's good to get hands dirty ;)

Regards
   BYO

Offline Belgabor

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 08:14:08 pm »
wxFormBuilder supports wxAUINotebook, but not (yet) the full wxAUI framework.

Offline VinceI

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 12:52:56 am »
At least if you create a wxAUI notebook with say, wxFormBuilder, generate the code and then you can add the non-supported stuff by hand.

wxFormBuilder is a great tool for generating GUI but current version continually crashes once the UI gets a bit complicated. I have to save every major change so after it crashes I can continue from the last saved object. I just downloaded RC6 but don't know if it is any more stable...

Offline rjmyst3

• wxFormBuilder
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 01:36:20 am »
At least if you create a wxAUI notebook with say, wxFormBuilder, generate the code and then you can add the non-supported stuff by hand.

wxFormBuilder is a great tool for generating GUI but current version continually crashes once the UI gets a bit complicated. I have to save every major change so after it crashes I can continue from the last saved object. I just downloaded RC6 but don't know if it is any more stable...

VinceI!!!!!

Head on over to http://forum.wxformbuilder.org and http://issues.wxformbuilder.org and report these crashes!
I did not realize there was a crashing problem with large projects, I'd really like to fix that.
Please post the projects that crash.

RC6 should be the most stable version yet. I've recently put in a lot of time with valgrind to clean up memory leaks and other memory errors. Also a crash in RC6 should popup a dialog with the call stack in it, if you could post that, it would really help.

Offline VinceI

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 06:36:20 am »
OK, I registered with Flyspray and will post the next time it crashes.
Thanks for that.