Author Topic: Mono C#  (Read 11621 times)

weisswurst

Mono C#
« on: March 18, 2007, 06:43:41 pm »
Hi!

I'm unfortunately forced to work me through this C# stuff.
At least I'm allowed to do it using this Mono-Project thing, so I can stick to Linux...
This is good. But I'd like to stick to my favourite IDE too.

Is there a way to do C# projects in Codeblocks using this Monostuff?

Thx
Bye

Offline AmR EiSa

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Mono C#
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 10:42:07 pm »
i like that too but for c++/cli :)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 08:06:06 am »
If I understood the compiler correctly, then yes! Make a copy of the VisualStudio8 compiler and adjust it to the c# compiler toolchain. But: This only applies to compiling source code. GUI design won't be possible.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline AmR EiSa

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 03:28:58 am »
My be i can help with that and i will get the info about that :)

Regards,
AmR EiSa

Offline Morphius Faydal

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 11:06:17 pm »
I just found out that my CS class for the second summer session is taught in C#.. So I was just having a quick wonder at the feasibility of a Mono/C# plugin for Code::Blocks..

Vexorian

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 04:01:12 am »
Actually code::blocks is as great for C++ as Sharp/Mono-develop is for C# , seriously, use the best tool for the objective.

Offline courage

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 08:58:28 am »
Out of the topic... I also hope that I could develop Java programs with Code::Blocks.  :)
If it could come true, I could be released from the horrible slow eclipse.(just a little wish.)  :(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 03:51:46 pm by courage »

Offline Morphius Faydal

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 04:10:51 pm »
Actually code::blocks is as great for C++ as Sharp/Mono-develop is for C# , seriously, use the best tool for the objective.

My school provides a copy of Visual Studio 2005 Pro to everyone for free, so my Windows box will use that, and I don't want to install all the GNOME libraries on my beautiful little Xfce desktop. :)

But I was thinking about it more yesterday... The interface to the compile is already a plugin calling gcc or VS2005, so how hard would it really be to extend it to call mono or the .NET CLI?

Offline Morphius Faydal

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 04:13:37 pm »
Out of the topic... I also hope that I could develop Java programs with Code::Blocks.  :)
If it could come true, I could be released from the horrible slow eclipse.(just a little wish.)  :(

Try NetBeans. :)

Offline courage

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 03:50:32 am »

Try NetBeans. :)

Hi Morphius:

Thank you! But NetBeans is the same meaning as eclipse for me.

I don't have many experience in programming, so my opinion could be wrong.  :)
Honestly, Java's speed is not the main problem, but memory usage is.
When I started a little my own common fund management program with Java, I used Emacs(without JDE).
After a while, I found Emacs can not support JDB very well,
and I ever do something to improve the debugger part of inner e-lisp, but finally I gave it up.

Then I tried eclipse and NetBeans.
To observe the usage of memory, my project used more than 35MB,
and both IDEs also used more than 190MB.
And as every Java programer knows,
after the time goes by, the memory usage will become more and more large.
(Why does Java not support both Garbage Collection and release memory manually?)  :?
In order to use them, I upgraded my 256MB memory to 1256MB,
and it made me feel not good.
NetBeans force me that I must use Ant and eclipse has more good text font rendering,
so I choice eclipse.

Finally, I found the choke point of performance in my project
is the swing GUI rendering with some benchmark tools,
I thought I would just use Java for cell phone programs in my remaining life.

Besides, Code::Blocks is the only one open source and good enough IDE that can work in my old laptop(500MHz, 96MB).
Sometimes I will unload the most part plug-ins to let Code::Blocks just becomes a good editor,
but even if Code::Blocks load all the plug-ins, it also performs well.

I have an immature thought.
After Code::Blocks has more and more plug-ins in the future(Maybe support Java or any other script language like Python or Lua),
Maybe Code::Blocks could support multi-configuring session for plug-ins.
(ex. custom-configure a Java session for programming Java, an asm session for assembler.)
Since Code::Blocks can dynamically enable and disable plug-ins, I think to suppot is a piece of cake.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 06:16:12 am by courage »

Offline Morphius Faydal

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 05:03:00 am »
I'd think at that point, it might gain some of the more unfortunate feature of Eclipse (the horrible bloated slowness), if Code::Blocks were to start adding support for languages left and right.  Even adding C# would be something that the head devs would want to look at long and hard before doing.  Keeping the language support at C and C++ keeps the scope of the program focussed and keep it a well written, fast little IDE, again unlike Eclipse.

I have never tried NetBeans, so I didn't know it was as fat and bloated as Eclipse.  Does Sun Studio support Java? Or is it a C/C++ only IDE?

Maybe for C#, a new project is required.  I was thinking about that, too, last night.  How difficult would it be to take the base Code::Blocks source, and create a dedicated fork for Mono only?  Code::Sharp or something? :)

Offline courage

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 06:44:00 am »
Keeping the language support at C and C++ keeps the scope of the program focussed and keep it a well written, fast little IDE, again unlike Eclipse.

You are right. Keeping the language support scope can keep it a well written, fast little IDE.
But I think the reason of the bloat of Eclipse is because Eclipse is designed as a Platform(ex. for RCP),
but Code::Blocks isn't.  :)

Since Code::Blocks is designed to a plug-in base IDE, let Code::Blocks could keep flexible.
In my humble opinion, I think we should not too worry about it.  :)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 07:10:39 am by courage »