Author Topic: NOOB user needing help gitting started!  (Read 6210 times)

wierdbeard65

NOOB user needing help gitting started!
« on: May 24, 2007, 06:40:36 am »
Hi,

First up, sorry for clogging up the board with a basic question, but I'm getting really frustrated with installing all this  :(

Ok, I've downloaded the Code::Blocks nightly build ("May 20 2007, 17:55:33 - wx2.8.4(Windows, unicode)" according to the About dialog)and got it installed and (I believe, I can compile & run a little test "hello world" app) working with MinGW 3.4.5.

I'm now trying to get wxWidgets to work as well.

I followed the instructions on the wxwidgets wiki (http://www.wxwidgets.org/wiki/index.php/CodeBlocks_Setup_Guide) and have unpacked and compiled wxWidgets-2.6.4.

Ok, if I try to start a new project and select "wxWidgets project" from the list, I get the following...

Step 1, select version of wxWidgets - I choose V 2.6.x
Step 2, enter project details - testWx
Step 3, enter Author details - enter mine
Step 4, Select preferred GUI builder and app Type - Choose None & Dialog
Step 5, Enter wxWidgets location - c:\wxwidgets-2.6.4\
Step 6, Compiler options - Gnu GCC. Have tried debug, release and both.
Step 7, various config options - Tried most combinations here!

Then I get an error -
A matching release configuration cannot be found in the wxWidgets directory you specified. This means that the release target of your project will not build. Are you sure you want to continue with these settings?

Where am I going wrong?
Do I need to rename / move something within the c:\wxwidgets-2.6.4\ directory?
I suspect step 5 or step 7 is at fault, but I'm not sure how or where!

HELP!

Paul

PS I should mention that I'm fairly new to C++ and windows programming, although I have been kicking around various programming systems for years - I go back to Z80 & 6502 assembly code (yep, I'm THAT old!!!) and have come through BASIC, C, PHP, Java ....

Offline raph

• Almost regular
Re: NOOB user needing help gitting started!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 10:54:29 am »
The wxWidgets Wizard settings have to fit the settings you have compiled wx with.
e.g.
Code
mingw32-make.exe -f makefile.gcc USE_XRC=1 SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 BUILD=release UNICODE=0
Check "Use wxWidgets DLL", check "wxWidgets is built as a monolithic library", uncheck "Enable unicode".

Regards raph

Offline Deschamps

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 12:47:58 pm »
Also, if you want to use a "debug" target, you will need a "debug" version for your wxMSW libraries. If you've built only a release version, don't check the debug target option in the wizard.

Step 5, Enter wxWidgets location - c:\wxwidgets-2.6.4\

I'm not sure if it could be a problem, but try without using the last backslash when defining your locations.

Regards.
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

wierdbeard65

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 06:27:04 am »
Hey, thanks, raph - worked like a charm  :wink: . Looking at it, I guess I should've realised!  :oops:

Deschamps, if I simply do a second compile with BUILD=debug, will that overwrite my release librries, or will it create a second set that CodeBlocks / MinGW will recognise and use appropriately?

Thanks to both of you for tking the time to reply.

Paul

Offline raph

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 01:15:06 pm »
Deschamps, if I simply do a second compile with BUILD=debug, will that overwrite my release librries, or will it create a second set that CodeBlocks / MinGW will recognise and use appropriately?
Second set. It will simply add a "d" to the library names.
The naming convention is very simple.
e.g.
libwxmsw28.a for a ansi release build
libwxmsw28u.a for an unicode release build
libwxmsw28d.a for an ansi debug build
libwxmsw28ud.a for an unicode debug build

Depending whether you set the shared/non shared setting, the libraries will be in the gcc_lib dir (shared) or in the gcc_dll dir (non shared).
So you may use all the configurations parallel.

Regards
raph

ps. Current wxWidgets stable release is 2.8.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 01:17:36 pm by raph »

wierdbeard65

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 04:46:13 pm »
Many thanks   :D

I'm aware that there are later (stable) versions of most of this around. I stuck with that version because I was following a how-to and I didn't want to complicate matters! Now I know what I'm doing (Hah!) I'll try upgrading the various bits :wink:

Right, I guess it looks like my machine is going to be up all night compiling the debug version.....!

Paul

Offline raph

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 04:58:14 pm »
Right, I guess it looks like my machine is going to be up all night compiling the debug version.....!
If you have a fast internet connection, you may want to checkout wxPack.

raph

wierdbeard65

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 09:25:42 pm »
Uh oh...

wxPack???

Is this gonna make it more or less complicated?  :shock:

What does wxPack give me?

Paul

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 10:50:09 pm »
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring