Author Topic: Problems with Wx  (Read 11572 times)

DarkDepths

Problems with Wx
« on: March 02, 2007, 04:34:18 am »
I have been using dev-cpp for... 3 years, and a few days ago I made the switch to code::blocks. There are many things I like, but I am having problems with wxWidgets. First, should I use 2.6.3, or 2.8.x? I downloaded 2.8.x, but cannot seem to get it too work with C::B.

I have confused myself pretty good, and am looking for any help whatsoever, but I would really love it if someone could link me with the download to the version they prefer, assuming that I am on windows XP.

My biggest fear is that I downloaded the wrong file. In fact, I downloaded wxwidgets 2.6 MSW.

If that is the right file, then I honestly don't know what I am doing wrong, because I cannot get it too build!

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Problems with Wx
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 04:46:19 am »
   //-- Wiki Index
    CodeBlocks Wiki Index
   //-- Wiki Main Page
    CodeBlocks Wiki Main Page

Search the Wiki index for "building" and "compiling" and "cookbook"

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Nightly_Cookbook
Nightly Cookbook - CodeBlocks
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 04:48:44 am by Pecan »

DarkDepths

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 04:49:36 am »
Thanks, I didnt want to sound stupid, but I really wanted it too work!

Offline saddam le pion

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 06:10:21 am »
Thanks, I didnt want to sound stupid, but I really wanted it too work!

You should also not abandon Dev-C++ but continue to use it in parallel with CB, because CB has still lots of bugs. The CB developpers that post here on the forum know so much CB, that they know how not to be bothered by the bugs. But we newcomer have not this knowledge.

Some big projects i developped since 4 years with Dev-C++, i can't compile or link them with CB. Even if your project compile and link OK with CB, one day you may find a bug or a lack of feature in CB, that blocks further development of this project with CB.

What i realized also is 1) even at the beginning of using Dev-C++ it was easy to solve by myself most of the problem encountered (compile, link, interface use, etc...) 2) after downloading and using CB since nearly one year, i need this forum for solving most of the problems.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 06:24:37 am by saddam le pion »

DarkDepths

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 06:54:45 am »
Oh. I do not plan on abandoning devcpp, but I was getting tired of using the same version. I know that sounds odd, but it hasnt been updated in 2 years, and that makes me feel behind the times. Plus, I really like in C::B the thing where you can minimize your functions to make your code more managable!

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 09:38:25 am »
You should also not abandon Dev-C++ but continue to use it in parallel with CB, because CB has still lots of bugs. The CB developpers that post here on the forum know so much CB, that they know how not to be bothered by the bugs. But we newcomer have not this knowledge.

Which bugs are bugging you? I can't agree with you that DevC++ doesn't have too many bugs. In C::B the code completion is not perfect, but it's far better that DevC++. I have used DevC++ for a long time and I'm well-aware how much buggy it's code-completion is. You press, Ctrl+Space in DevC++ and if you are lucky the options will come or otherwise it will give you a Crash-Report.

C::B devs develop C::B and thus they know C::B internals in details. Yes they also know the shortcomings. Another point is if you develop your own software, it's difficult to make it completely bug-free. Because creators often overlook the shortcomings of their creation. ;)

Some big projects i developped since 4 years with Dev-C++, i can't compile or link them with CB. Even if your project compile and link OK with CB, one day you may find a bug or a lack of feature in CB, that blocks further development of this project with CB.

I can't understand whether it's C::B's fault or you used wrong settings. Can you specify your problem in details? Also please specify which feature DevC++ has which C::B doesn't have? May be we can improve it in C::B. :)

What i realized also is 1) even at the beginning of using Dev-C++ it was easy to solve by myself most of the problem encountered (compile, link, interface use, etc...) 2) after downloading and using CB since nearly one year, i need this forum for solving most of the problems.

This can happen. DevC++ is hard coded for GCC whereas C::B supports a number of different compilers across different OS. So sometime to support everyone C::B devs need to stick to common minimum options. It's very difficult to satisfy each and every compiler in details.

In short, please be a bit specific about the difficulties you are facing. If possible put it in a different thread so that we can give you proper explanation or start improving the shortcomings. :)

Also please don't use vague terms to compare and show that C::B is not at par with other IDEs. If you love a software it's your choice but that doesn't mean alternatives are not good.

Regards,

Biplab
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 09:43:34 am by Biplab »
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 04:44:17 pm »

I am sorry, most of that is complete unsustantiated FUD.  You really need to give some concrete example and problems before you go saying stuff like that.  If you know how to compile things from scratch on the command line then you will have no trouble getting things to compile in CB.  Any difficulties that you run into are almost certainly of you own making because CB is used by thousands of developers and the compilier plugin is the most used portion the IDE (hence least buggy). 

Besides it seems like you ran into problems importing a Dev-Cpp project and getting it to work out of the box, that doesn't mean CB can't compile and link things correctly it means the importer needs to be fixed.  Also you can't expect CB to work exactly like Dev-Cpp so you will need to spend some time learning the interface.

You also have not posted anything about the issues you mention on this forum.  I did not check the patch/feature tracker but lets hope all of the issues with CB you mentioned have been reported there, so they can be fixed.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 04:51:16 pm by Game_Ender »

DarkDepths

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 05:55:07 am »
I wish that the files were not all so big. WxWidgets is 20mb, I have to redownload MingW, another 25mb. Im going to have to wait for awhile to download all this. Dial-Up is slowly killing me, I swear.

Oh, I do have another question though. In the cookbook wiki, it details building code::blocks. Is this nessecary, because I would much rather use a precomiled nightly or something.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 06:34:23 am »
I can understand problems with dial-up. You don't need to compile Code::Blocks. Please download Pre-Compiled Nightly from the following section of forum.
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/board,20.0.html

Latest nightly is available from the following thread.
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,5320.0.html

Don't download the whole wxWidgets Package, download wxMSW package instead. You'll save some bandwidth. If you need compiled libraries of wxWidgets, I can upload one for you. :)

Regards,

Biplab
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

DarkDepths

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 07:20:46 am »
Well. I have already downloaded Wx. All I need now id MinGW. And great, I already have the latest nightly!

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 07:49:06 pm »
Well. I have already downloaded Wx. All I need now id MinGW. And great, I already have the latest nightly!

I know you don't have Broadband internet, but I think you should look at wxPack. It takes all the issues with building wxWidgets and does them for you. All you have to do is worry about writing your new applications!

There here is a tutorial on get wxPack and Code::Blocks up and running using MinGW.
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

DarkDepths

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 10:42:10 pm »
I will look at it, but large file sizes scare me! See... 200mb would take me about a full day, more probably about 20 hours. The main problem with that is that my dad works on the road and calls home at night, so that really is impossible. So thank-you, but I do not think I can go that way. Besides, MinGW shouldn't take that long, so Ill be up and running in no time!

Well, I downloaded MinGW exactly how the cookbook told me too. I created a directory in my D drive and unzipped everything there. I Also unzipped WxWidgets to my D drive. So I did everything that I was told to in the cookbook, yet when I try to get to the build\msw directory in the WX folder, it keeps saying access is denied.

I don't understand what I am doing wrong, and please do not direct me to some ginormous file!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:52:31 am by DarkDepths »

DarkDepths

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 02:26:30 am »
Hmmm... this is just a little update. I opened up cmd and changed from my C drive to my D drive. Then I tried cd <WX>\build\msw. It said access denied. Then I tried cd <MGW>\bin. Again I get "access denied."

I can't figure out why I cannot do anything! It is getting pretty frustrating.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 02:37:28 am »
Hmmm... this is just a little update. I opened up cmd and changed from my C drive to my D drive. Then I tried cd <WX>\build\msw. It said access denied. Then I tried cd <MGW>\bin. Again I get "access denied."

I can't figure out why I cannot do anything! It is getting pretty frustrating.

If I recall correctly I had this error till I replaced the mingw32-make with version  3.80 instead of 3.81.

Note: My access denied was happening after running the make command, for your description you might a different issue.

Tim S
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 02:41:43 am by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

DarkDepths

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 03:19:25 am »
Nope,  that's not it. Is there anyway to go about this without having to build WxWidgets? I hear that once it's built the file becomes pretty big, so that kinda worries me. But I still don't understand why my access is denied. It has nothing to do with users, becuase there is only one user and its admin.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 03:45:25 am »
What exactly are you typing in that causes the access error?

Note: cd <WX>\build\msw is not valid command the <WX> is supposed to be replaced by your wxWidgets folder.

My wxWidgets folder is C:\wx\inno\wxWidgets-2.6\wxWidgets-2.6.3p2.

So, I would do the command below in the CMD box.

Code
cd C:\wx\inno\wxWidgets-2.6\wxWidgets-2.6.3p2\build\msw

Tim S
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 03:53:33 am by stahta01 »
--

DarkDepths

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 03:53:19 am »
Im just trying to get to the directory. So first I switch to the D drive. Then I type

cd <WX>\build\msw

It happens if I try

cd <MGW>\bin

too. BTW, MGW is MinGW.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 03:54:52 am »
Im just trying to get to the directory. So first I switch to the D drive. Then I type

cd <WX>\build\msw

It happens if I try

cd <MGW>\bin

too. BTW, MGW is MinGW.

The characters < and > are special characters and will cause major issues in path names.

Tim S 
--

DarkDepths

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 03:59:30 am »
Hey, I got me some access, thank-you so much!

But, apparently wxWidgets didn't build for some reason...

But don't fret about it. I think I will just go the hard way for now, win32 api here I come... or maybe smartwin.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:58:34 am by DarkDepths »