Author Topic: The 25 october 2006 build is out.  (Read 44652 times)

StateS

Re: The 25 october 2006 build is out.
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2006, 11:08:24 pm »
Contrary to what others may think *hint* *hint* I think that this IDE is the best I have seen for a wxWidgets + C/C++ developer, the evolution that this IDE has had from version 1.0 RC2 to these new nightly builds is just phenomenal. Keep up the great work guys, and please don't pay attention to people like ramguru, they're not worth your time.

[EDIT]: BTW... no October 27 build?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2006, 11:53:28 pm »
But does really NO compilers supports Unicode?
Maybe I missed that post but I believe nobody said this. New compilers do (and they really should do). I think what was meant was to ensure backward compatibility with old (legacy) compilers - and they usually won't.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2006, 01:15:37 pm »
But does really NO compilers supports Unicode?
If Unicode is supposed to mean UTF-8, most of them certainly do. It is even the default encoding that gcc expects if you don't tell it otherwise.

The original claim was different, though. The statement was "you need more technical knowledge, all compilers support Unicode", and this is not true as such.
To give an example of a modern (and otherwise very good) compiler that does not support Unicode: TinyCC. Other examples would be older versions of VC or Borland compilers.

It does not matter what compilers understand, however. Code::Blocks cannot just boldly use UTF-8 for everything. What Code::Blocks does right now is to use the system's default. It is not perfect, but it is something that is 100% automatic and that usually works (unless you edit sources coming from someone with a different encoding, which would require an encoding detector to work properly).

Of course the "use system default" approach utterly fails both for people who are too stupid to set up their system correctly and for people who run a pirated localised version of Windows that has an encoding not compatible with their native language. But seriously, should this be a concern to us?  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 01:20:36 pm by thomas »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

ramguru

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2006, 02:32:36 pm »
I do not mind but the result is... no nightly for the 26st...

Yep, I became the cause of your all problems including somebody's laziness. I must raise thumbs-up to killerbot for at least doing something & other guy for suggesting solution... (that warning message really does the job - warns; & total destruction (no *.bak is made) of your code can be avoided).

Of course the "use system default" approach utterly fails both for people who are too stupid to set up their system correctly and for people who run a pirated localised version of Windows that has an encoding not compatible with their native language. But seriously, should this be a concern to us?  :lol:
As I suspect this is aimed at me...well bro you're unforgivably wrong - I own genuine Windows XP professional edition, do you? And I'm not stupid: I was just new to your IDE, and as new user imagined that the system is friendly to new users (the mistake I made).
BTW it's funny - I tried to play with encodings...and I've found another expected behaviour: when one enc. is set as default and you open file in another, you see empty window...it compiles with no problems though

Offline nix_BB

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2006, 05:51:59 pm »
Yep, I became the cause of your all problems including somebody's laziness.

I would not call any one of the regular C::B contributors lazy... dedicated- certainly! ...overworked- continuously! ...unappreciated- only by the likes of you it seems... Please respect the enormous amount of work these guys are doing for FREE.

Thanks to your input a deadly oversight has been rectified- you've made a positive difference- don't force the admins hand by continuing your poor approach to addressing the community.

No one appreciates the tone of your posts, but positive feedback is always welcomed. (An opinion based on my own experiences with the developers of this essential project.)

Shape up or ship out, but I'd prefer to see the community grow and benefit from your input.

-Nix

Offline DarkHorizon

• Single posting newcomer
    • Odyssey Project
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2006, 03:50:19 am »
As I suspect this is aimed at me...well bro you're unforgivably wrong - I own genuine Windows XP professional edition, do you?

This is laughable. Thanks for providing a thoroughly entertaining thread. Search google images for "arguing on the internet". Please.

And thanks again to the C::B dev team for providing a solid development platform, without which my own project would be sorely under-developed.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:52:24 am by DarkHorizon »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2006, 09:25:08 am »
Yep, I became the cause of your all problems including somebody's laziness. I must raise thumbs-up to killerbot for at least doing something & other guy for suggesting solution... (that warning message really does the job - warns; & total destruction (no *.bak is made) of your code can be avoided).
I have to disappoint you: It was me - your lazy idiot without knowledge that fixed this bug. It took me 5 minutes to track down and fix the issue... I was just waiting to see if you could provide a patch, too as I feel that you are the expert here.
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline lubos

• Almost regular
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2006, 10:39:59 am »
this will never stop, ban him