Author Topic: Installation problems Dell M65  (Read 13227 times)

Offline strickland

• Single posting newcomer
Installation problems Dell M65
« on: October 11, 2006, 04:26:46 am »
I have been successfully installing and running code::blocks nightly builds on a number of platforms for several months (winxp, win2000 with various hardware). I attempted to install a nightly build on a Dell M65 laptop (Intel dual core T5600 processor (1.83GHz), 2G DDR, SATA hdd). After installing mingw, msys and gdb and uncrunching the nightly build zips, attempting to run the program displays the hourglass momentarily and quits quietly - no error messages.

I have tried deleting the codeblocks directory from the user profile under Application data and have also tried to delete the cb-crash-recovery directory under the users "My Documents" directory - both with no improvement. Both these directories are empty (no default.conf or any other file). I have attempted to run codeblocks with a number of different switches with no joy (/d does not produce any additional debugging information).

I have tried running some of the sysinternal monitoring programs to determine what is going on. Can anyone suggest a method I can use to determine what is causing the problem?

Thanks

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: Installation problems Dell M65
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 08:15:28 am »
Have you checked if it created a file called codeblocks.rpt in the same directory you put codeblocks.exe? It lacks debugging information but could be of some help.

Offline strickland

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 08:09:31 pm »
I checked and there is no codeblocks.rpt file in the executable directory. I was hoping there was some way of using the /d switch to produce some information. Would I be able to access more debugging information if I recompiled from source with some switches?

Thanks

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 03:20:30 am »
A second test would be running codeblocks through GDB and see if that way you get anything useful.

Of course you could try to compile Code::Blocks with debugging information, the problem is the Windows build was conceived to use an existing binary of Code::Blocks.

Just another test: go to the share/CodeBlocks/pulgins/ directory and move all the files you find in there to a temporary location and try to run codeblocks.exe again. If it works, close it, restore one plugin and repeat till you find a suspect.

Offline strickland

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 04:12:55 pm »
I deleted all the plugins and the program still fails quietly.

Running codeblocks with gdb produces a segmentation fault accessing address 0x00.

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00000000 in ?? () from

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I have tried different nightly builds with the same result. I also have eclipse CDT running so the mingw/msys/ installation must be ok. Do you have any additional suggestions to help nail down the problem?

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 06:00:35 pm »
SIGSEV? Nasty... really nasty.

Trying a version with debugging information would be the next step, but it seems the few that were released are not available to download anymore.

I'll just build you one and put the link here today so you can try it again (need to boot XP first).

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 06:49:51 pm »
OK, I just uploaded it. Just go here and download both 7z files and do as if they were a nightly build. Run it again through GDB and, if it crashes, be sure to request the backtrace (bt) and paste it here.

Offline strickland

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 03:49:52 am »
Hi
Could you check the archive CodeBlocks-debug.7z - I have downloaded it twice and reinstalled 7zip I still get an invalid archive error when I try to extract it to my installation directory. wxmsw26u_gcc_custom.7z extracts fine.

Thanks

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 08:32:08 am »
I just downloaded it and extracted it with no problem, but with 7z 4.43. Please check you're using a recent version of 7z.

Just in case, the md5sum of that file is 7f33a29ecfcf34047301633888d40d23.

Offline strickland

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 03:05:51 pm »
Thanks for the md5sum. I was using 7z4.42 but the problem was with corrupted 7z file.

It seems the problem is related to the presence of wxvault.dll which is part of the Embassy Security Suite that comes installed on Dell Lap tops. Even though I have the TPM (trusted platform module) chip disabled the gdb traceback indicates the problem is caused by this dll. (I can post the traceback if you like). Apparently this dll breaks several other software packages.

I will uninstall the Security Suite and let you know if that solves the problem - won't get time to try this until this evening.

Thanks again for all your help - I never would have gotten this far without it.

Tom

Offline strickland

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 06:31:44 pm »
I uninstalled the Embassy Security Suite and codeblocks runs happily. Thanks yet again for all your help - it was invaluable.

I'm not sure why eclipse cdt and dev-c++ run quite happily with the security suite but codeblocks crashes. If you would like to investigate this further, I can reinstall the Suite and provide complete back traces with the debug version of the software.

Thanks again.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 06:59:34 pm »
Weird problem you got there. I still wonder why that dll would cause trouble, or why it's being loaded in the first place when you run Code::Blocks.

Have you tried any other software that uses wxWidgets while having that program installed? That could be the reason Eclipse (Java) and Dev-C++ (Delphi) work but Code::Blocks (C++ & wxWidgets) does not.

About the backtrace... it'd be nice to check it but, could you try another wxWidgets program first and see if it crashes too?

Offline strickland

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 05:39:02 pm »
OK I tried to run a couple of programs that use wxwidgets - Juice and Audacity - they both ran with no problems. Apparently ms works 6.0 and a cad package called Archicad 10 both experience similar problems with wxvault.dll - users of Dell laptops have had to remove the Embassy Security Suite to get them running properly. I have a backtrace of the codeblocks failure but it is 500 lines long - do you want me to post it here?

Tom

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 01:33:18 am »
What about an attached 7-zip of the backtrace? :)

Offline strickland

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 04:11:53 am »
Sorry - I did look for attachment options but somehow missed the Additional Options icon at the bottom.

[attachment deleted by admin]