Author Topic: When will we get Code::Blocks for Mac OS X?  (Read 41709 times)

bnilsson

When will we get Code::Blocks for Mac OS X?
« on: July 15, 2006, 04:22:30 pm »
Hi!

Offline BigAngryDog

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • BigAngryDog.com
Re: When will we get Code::Blocks for Mac OS X?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 04:39:18 pm »
I've been a Windows user for a long time. However, the way I see it, the long term future of Windows in no longer guaranteed.

Therefore, giving effort to supporting C::B on Mac OS X in the future would be good thing.

I am currently writing code on HP-UX - using the VI editor! My guess is that C::B would be widely adopted within industry if it were to be supported on HP-UX/Solaris.
BigAngryDog.com

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 05:22:19 pm »
My guess is that C::B would be widely adopted within industry if it were to be supported on HP-UX/Solaris.
I'd fully agree on that point. In industry and research such systems are really common. And admins of those often stick with vi because there is no other (better) solution. Unfortunately I have no login to any of the HP-UX/Solaris servers at work, otherwise I'd try to compile C::B there "immediately". However: I wonder if wxWidgets is supported on these platforms... I should have a look...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 05:26:36 pm »
Sorry, that I haven't answered this is my previous post.
AFAIK the core devs don't have MAC's, otherwise I'd say it would already be possible. A MAC isn't something you just buy, this is a matter of money. So it's hard to develop for a platform you don't have. If people like to have support for the MAC, there is a possibility to donate money for C::B which would certainly help to buy a MAC... ;-)
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

bnilsson

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 06:07:44 pm »
A Mac-mini is not all that expensive, it starts at $600.
And it runs native WinXP as well (fast), so it would not have to be dedicated to this project only.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 07:13:11 pm »
A Mac-mini is not all that expensive, it starts at $600.
I didn't mean to say a MAC is expensive. All I wanted to point out is that unfortunately the devs don't have a MAC (currently) which makes developement for MAC difficult. I would love to see a MAC version, too. IMHO this would be the first serious IDE which is available for Windows, Linux and MAC then. There are some trials running (search the forum for MAC support) but this isn't very robust yet.
With regards, Morten.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 12:00:32 am »
For the time being, the only builds for MacOS have to be supplied by the community. The same goes for any compatibility fixes, sorry.

While we attempt to write code that has a chance to compile without too much pain, we really cannot tell, as we have no Apple machines around.

Buying a Macintosh is not an option at this time, however donations to the Code::Blocks project are always welcome. :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

fooman

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 12:45:21 am »
Wow, C:B devs and everyone involved should be thanked and praised as Gods... especially if they can get a multi-platform IDE on all 3 major systems.

Seriously, that'd blow my mind.  Where else can you find that?!

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 04:35:00 am »
A friend of mine for many years is the CIS teacher at the local joint JrHigh / HighSchool.  The school insists on ONLY having Macs for student use.  I believe they only have one Win98 computer in the entire building and thats for library use only.  She asks me nearly every year if i've found any software to help her programming class to get a real world experience, namely something that is uniform on Mac and additionally either Win or Linux.  If C::B ever becomes OSX compatible (or if someone can give me fine grain instructions on how to set it up on a mac, i have little mac experience) you would have a couple thousand students experimenting on occasion with CB and wxWidgets.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 05:23:37 am »
There is a usable older version of CodeBlocks for the Mac at

http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/codeblocks-rev2411_macppc.zip

built by contributor afb. It's in bundle (.app) form. It does not include any contribs or scripting, but  works.

I'm currently working on the contribs, and a .cbp to include the squirrel scripting environment.

This version is not ready for prime time. But it's there, and can be used to even compile the current svn. (as soon as I update the cbp)

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 07:09:43 am »
I just want to make sure I understand everything fully.  No one except Afb has been able to get CB to build using automake scripts.  So the current solution for building CB on mac is to use that old binary to build the current SVN which has most of the current Mac patches applied with a CodeBlocks-Mac.cbp (You know we really should switch to one project file with build scripts changing things based on platform)?

I will give it a small try to build a universal CB with the autotools using darwin ports and an Intel iMac.  I only have access to a mac at work, but we too would benefit from a cross platform IDE like Code::Blocks.  If I am feeling quite into I might try and leverage my Xcode knowledge and port the Code::Blocks project file over, its what most open source project on Mac use.  That would be after my summer class finishes.

About the project file:  Does anyone else think its kind of odd that a cross platform IDE can't use a single project file for all platforms?

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 02:22:30 pm »
I just want to make sure I understand everything fully.  No one except Afb has been able to get CB to build using automake scripts.  So the current solution for building CB on mac is to use that old binary to build the current SVN which has most of the current Mac patches applied with a CodeBlocks-Mac.cbp

That is correct AFAIK. There is no evidence that  anyone else (besides afb) has successfully built CodeBlocks on the MAC with autotools.

About the project file:  Does anyone else think its kind of odd that a cross platform IDE can't use a single project file for all platforms?

After having built two separate, vastly differing project files for the MAC (10.3 vs 10.4), then having to restructure each for squirrel, I can understand why there are separate .cbp's. It would be a tangled web having only one .cbp. I'd hate thinking about maintaining it.

...If I am feeling quite into I might try and leverage my Xcode knowledge and port the Code::Blocks project file over...

If you build using wxMac2.6.x unicode, it crashes in strconv.cpp attempting to call a pure virtual function. Fix it by changing MB2WC and WC2MB to the global functions wxMB2WC and wxWC2MB. It's  most likely an awful typo.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 02:43:27 pm by Pecan »

sethjackson

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 03:01:05 pm »

Yes. However I think Pecan may be right. It could get to be a mess to maintain. :P

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 06:33:00 pm »
If you build using wxMac2.6.x unicode, it crashes in strconv.cpp attempting to call a pure virtual function. Fix it by changing MB2WC and WC2MB to the global functions wxMB2WC and wxWC2MB. It's  most likely an awful typo.

Thanks for the advice, I have only built a non-monolithic, universal, ansi build or wxMac 2.6.x.  If I run into trouble on the unicode build I will try.

[Offtopic: About turning CB into a cross-platfrom developement platform]

About the project file:  Can't things like a common set of build scripts help us out here?  You just make a script for each platform specific thing you have to do and it just change options based on platform.  Of course that sounds nice in practice, but it almost makes CB's nice UI for picking build option useless.

If I find the time I will give a comparative look to the standard and unix cbp files and see how the big differences are.  If it turns out that it is too difficult I think we need to come up with some way to make it easy. 

Maybe a CB::Config (like autotools but for Code::Blocks) that does a platform specific configuration on project loading and of course it would be driven by scripts too.  It could do things like set variables (WX_LIBS) for example to right thing on each platform.  That is where the scripts could come, if there script bindings had the ability to search through directories and file on disk you could have a script that runs and sets the value of WX_LIBS.  I realize this is similar to autotools, but autoconf scripts look like black magic to me and be able to whip up something in the C/C++ like squriell would be easier.  We could of course store these on the wiki or maybe in the same way plugins will be distributed in the future.

Or possibly a way for each target to have multiple platform specific versions.  Currently settings our inherited like so Compiler->Project->Target.  We might add a 4th layer Compiler->Project->Target->Platform.  The could work in conjuction to the above CB:Config pluggin.

EDIT: Either we do that or find some way to go back and forth between cmake files and cbp project files.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 06:47:48 pm by Game_Ender »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 07:05:35 pm »
No, not at all.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."