Author Topic: A little confused.....  (Read 10889 times)

Offline Laughing Cheese

• Single posting newcomer
A little confused.....
« on: March 12, 2006, 07:04:05 am »
Hi all!

There doesn't seem to be a general discussion forum, so I thought I post here, since I use windowss (ME, unfortunately...)

I read in the announcements that RC1 has just been released.

Now, I'm taking a Visual Basic course at my school, so I'm just getting into program, but I know that C/C++ is pretty powerful, and I'll most likely graduate to that after VB. Code Blocks looks like a great program, and I had the 1.0 RC2.

I'm guessing the RC1 is the latest/most advanced version, given its date of only two days ago, but it appears the main website hasn't been updated.

So, can someone help with which version and where to get it?

And, no offense, but it looks like the main website hasn't been updated in a while, but RC1 just came out...?

Oh yeah, and somene explain how this version stuff works?

Thanks a lot, LC

davereid20

Re: A little confused.....
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 08:34:13 am »
LC,

The announcement of RC1 was from July 2005. RC2 was released back in October 2005 and everything was ok, but it became very evident that a lot of internal changes needed to be made before Code::Blocks reaches 1.0 status. The developers took steps backwards and we're back to nightly builds, which have become very stable and seem to be pretty much on track (except for code-completion, which is a sore issue). I haven't had many problems with the builds (I do the majority of my collegiate programming on Code::Blocks) that haven't been fixed promptly. I'd recommend you try the latest nightly build and maybe become active in the Code::Blocks development process with finding and reporting new bugs.

This quote may also help you (although when Game_Ender says RC1, replace with RC2):

The real issue is that the CB team had something pretty solid, if not feature rich at the RC1 stage.  They decided that while solid, RC1 needed a major overhaul of several systems, so a rewrite begin.  Technically they took a step backward to 0.9, and continued like RC1 had never been released, as in no feature freeze. 

I believe this is mainly because the CB team believed that Codeblocks would be much more usable, and therefore worth a 1.0 release if they fixed so outstanding issues in RC1. The bad news we essentially jumped from release candidate stage back to alpha testing because these changes required major rewrites, as well as a linux build system change, etc.

Hope this helps you!

davereid20

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 08:37:08 am »
Now, I'm taking a Visual Basic course at my school, so I'm just getting into program, but I know that C/C++ is pretty powerful, and I'll most likely graduate to that after VB.

Once you've learned the language, you'll find you can do some pretty powerful stuff with C++ and you'll have even more fun when you play around with wxWidgets!

Offline ZekeDragon

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 09:10:02 am »
I actually started as a Visual Basic programmer as well, and learned to build several applications with it.  The problem I had with the language was that I felt it was too constricting for what I wanted to do, such as having multi-platform applications, which was imperative with the projects I had in mind.  That's why I started looking for other development environments that still played like VB and yet could fit my desires.  I found something called REALbasic*, which seemed to do quite well.  I still suggest it, it's very nice, and I'd like to make something with it some day.  But again, it's not what I could use.  So, I turned to C++, staying away from Microsoft because I had fell in love with Open Source since I had just started programming (back when I was just a mere web coder).  I went through dozens of possibilities for myself, and ended up using Code::Blocks.  I'm now still in the nice 'learning' world of C++, (which, after being in VB and having those nice little visual windows where you can just point, click, and make a button) and despite me getting most the concepts, the transition has frankly been a pain in the ass.  A few months later, I started asking questions here on the Code::Blocks forums, which I still do, and am getting everything easily.  Start C++ as soon as possible, seriously.  It helps you forever, and if you're really motivated, learn some assembly concepts, and maybe how to do toy with the computer in it.  It's a blocky as Hell language, but using the concepts in higher level languages makes code a bit cleaner.

Can I ask what school you're going to though?  Are you in the SAP course at ITT?  That's where I am :).

*I am in no way endorsing REALbasic on these forums, I simply am linking to the site in order to clarify what software I am talking about.  It may be altered/deleted as desired.
I broke it again.

Offline Laughing Cheese

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 09:28:29 pm »
Quote from: ZakeDragon
Can I ask what school you're going to though?  Are you in the SAP course at ITT?  That's where I am Smile.

It's at my high school, actually. The computer teacher there teaches Computers 1-4 classes. #1 being Microsoft Word, Excel Spreadsheets, etc. Computers 2 being Visual Basic programming, computers 3 being Lego Mindstorms Robotics, and computers 4 being Website Design with Frontpage.

I've taken computers 1 and 4, and I'm currently in 2. (You can take them out of order as long as you take #1 because they're different stuff..)

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 09:34:38 pm »
[...]Computers 2 being Visual Basic programming[...]

I am a bit surprised about the choice of the language. Java or C++ would have been a much better choice (IMHO :D).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Laughing Cheese

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 10:34:22 pm »
[...]Computers 2 being Visual Basic programming[...]

I am a bit surprised about the choice of the language. Java or C++ would have been a much better choice (IMHO :D).

Best wishes,
Michael

That was the only choice...it's a small private school :P

Offline ZekeDragon

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 10:43:07 pm »

What I'm surprised about is them having a Lego Mindstorms class O_o.

M$ Visual Basic, as I see it, has done at least a little better with .NET series.  VB before that was abhorrently slow, and finding problems in the code for debugging was... nebulous at best.  That's why the language was never really taken seriously, but they put a bit of work into .NET, and made applications that are built in VB comparibly as fast as any equivalent application in C++.  This is at least the personal experience I've had with the software, so who knows how others have experienced it.

But, like I said, learn C++.  Way worth it, and C::B is an excellent editor for it.
I broke it again.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 11:03:27 pm »

This was my second surprise :D. I find cool to have a Lego Mindstorms class... 8)

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Laughing Cheese

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 03:45:24 am »
Those nightly builds look a little complicated (although I guess I'm going to have to get used to complex (not that I have a problem; trekkie here :P), as I'm also getting my feet wet in the world of 3D graphics). Do you have to build them from source?

If so, I have NO clue how to do that....

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 03:54:52 am »

I hope that are teaching it in interactive c.  That is much more powerful than the silly little visual based method that is default for Lego mindstorms.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 03:56:32 am by Game_Ender »

sethjackson

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 01:07:17 pm »
Those nightly builds look a little complicated (although I guess I'm going to have to get used to complex (not that I have a problem; trekkie here :P), as I'm also getting my feet wet in the world of 3D graphics). Do you have to build them from source?

If so, I have NO clue how to do that....

Nope just downlad and extract them with 7-zp..... You will need to download the wx dll, and put that in the folder you extracted the nightly to.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 01:10:55 pm »
Anyway, building C::B from the SVN sources is not so difficult as it seems at the beginning :). If I remember correctly there are some posts in the forum that might be useful.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 01:15:49 pm »
read this : http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Nightly_Cookbook

explains about nightlies, and more

Offline Laughing Cheese

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 01:57:36 am »
Great! I'll check it out.

Thanks a lot guys!

PS: Anyone have a clue as to when they're going to formally release version 1.0?