Author Topic: GCC 4.1.0 official release  (Read 8432 times)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
GCC 4.1.0 official release
« on: March 01, 2006, 02:46:32 am »
For those interested I'm currently compiling GCC 4.1.0 for MinGW which was released today. It's going fine so far and I hope it finishes without problems.

I'll remove the old Code::Blocks binary snapshots from the site and my signature (the nightly builds took that work over) and place the fresh compilation of GCC in the same folder as the current snapshot (still in my signature).

That server seems to have some bandwidth limitation for port 80 (about 8KiB/s) per connection, so try with two or three download threads if possible.

I've noticed some download managers have problems downloading from that site. DownThemAll (Firefox extension) seems to do fine.

I'll provide checksums (md5) too so you can compare.

I'll post again to tell you when I be done.

sethjackson

Re: GCC 4.1.0 official release
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 02:51:38 am »
For those interested I'm currently compiling GCC 4.1.0 for MinGW which was released today. It's going fine so far and I hope it finishes without problems.

I'll remove the old Code::Blocks binary snapshots from the site and my signature (the nightly builds took that work over) and place the fresh compilation of GCC in the same folder as the current snapshot (still in my signature).

That server seems to have some bandwidth limitation for port 80 (about 8KiB/s) per connection, so try with two or three download threads if possible.

I've noticed some download managers have problems downloading from that site. DownThemAll (Firefox extension) seems to do fine.

I'll provide checksums (md5) too so you can compare.

I'll post again to tell you when I be done.

Umm did the release it at MinGW.org? Can I download from SF.net?

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 02:57:17 am »
Quote from: sethjackson
Umm did the release it at MinGW.org? Can I download from SF.net?

MinGW.org will surely start releasing them when they reach at least 4.1.2. Right now the only way to get 4.1.0 is compiling it by yourself, or waiting for mine :)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 03:40:29 am »
Done.

Enjoy it :D

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 10:21:23 am »
Done.

Enjoy it :D

That's great. Thank you very much :D.

With the "previous" snapshot, I had problems in compling, because I have to add to the compiler additional directory (with GCC 3.4.5 it worked fine with just the default one). Moreover, I could not compile wxWidgets 2.6.3-RC1, because the make did not find some directory (C/C++ header files). Instead it worked well with GCC 3.4.4.

These are the include directories that I had to add to make GCC 4.1.0 working:

C:\Programme\MinGW\include
C:\Programme\MinGW\include\c++\4.1.0
C:\Programme\MinGW\include\c++\4.1.0\mingw32

Normally, just the first one should be needed. Do you have the same problem or it is just me?

Thank you very much.

Best wihses,
Michael

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 11:08:04 am »
I have just tried to install it on a fresh MinGW version with GCC 3.4.5, the latest win32api and the latest binutils available.

The problems is that with the following in the include directory:

C:\Programme\MinGW\include

I get errors when compiling, e.g.,:

PriorityQueue.h:17:20: error: iostream: No such file or directory

The compiler cannot find the iostream header file. The strange is that GCC 3.4.5 could.

[EDIT] Nothing to do. To make it works, I have to add two additional directory in the C::B compiler directories:

C:\Programme\MinGW\include\c++\4.1.0  --> needed to find header files
C:\Programme\MinGW\include\c++\4.1.0\mingw32  --> needed to find other files (e.g., files included in iostream header file)

Best wishes,
Michael
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 11:16:27 am by Michael »

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 12:16:33 pm »
Move MinGW to your root drive (C:\MinGW) and try again, then tell me if it works.

Another way would be dumping the specs and adding those paths.

I don't really know why it happens. It's like if the compilation process hardcoded the --prefix path.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 12:24:13 pm »
Move MinGW to your root drive (C:\MinGW) and try again, then tell me if it works.

Another way would be dumping the specs and adding those paths.

I don't really know why it happens. It's like if the compilation process hardcoded the --prefix path.

Yes, it works now :D. I have changed the location from c:\Programme to c:\ and my example is building fine with just the "default" include path. Anyway, now I have to change the location of MinGW in the system path too.

Something seems to be hardcoded as you suggest...

Thank you very much for your help.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline RJP Computing

• Almost regular
    • RJP Computing
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 09:39:45 pm »
Is there a way to update the Code::Blocks installed version of MinGW to 4.1.0?

I am really interested in the faster compile times.

Thanks
- Ryan

Ubuntu/WinXP, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1000MB RAM, AC 97 Audio, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 09:48:57 pm »
Is there a way to update the Code::Blocks installed version of MinGW to 4.1.0?

I am really interested in the faster compile times.

Thanks

I have tried to update the mingw bundled with RC2, but it did not work. Instead, it works well if you use a separate installation of MinGW. I would advice to install it in C:\MinGW (and use MinGW 5.0.2).

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Zingam

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 10:56:08 pm »
Are there any good HOWTOs about how to do it?  :) I'm interested to compile GDC for GCC and a patched version of GDB to use with Code::Blocks.