Author Topic: Some "new" ideas and proposals...  (Read 5404 times)

Offline marfi

• Multiple posting newcomer
Some "new" ideas and proposals...
« on: February 28, 2006, 12:39:59 pm »
Hi,
before anything else a must say that all you guys are absolutely great and progress of your work is amazing :) I'm using C:B (latest nightbuilds) for some time and I'm realy satisfied... :)

But, in my opinion, there are several things in wxSmith that may be improved or changed little bit.

The first thing is quite non-standard UI of the tool. I think that better (and much more intuitive, elegant and effective) way how to offer some GUI widgets and other objects (timers, common dialogs, etc.) is implemented in IDEs like wxDev-Cpp or MS VS. NET (and higher). Why didn't you inspire by these IDEs? I think that Delphi-like widgets toolbars aren't an ideal solution. Maybe you should use some component container like wxFoldPanelBar (http://wastebucket.solidsteel.nl/cms/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=wxFoldPanelBar&back=WiwiHome) or something like that.

The second question is why not all events are published in "Events" pane? For example wxEVT_UPDATE_UI event is not displayed anywhere (and it is realy important feature ;)). Is it caused by current work progress or somebody has forgotten to add it?

The last remark is simple: take into account that not all of us have big 19'' monitors and do not waste free place with unnecessary big icons... :)

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Some "new" ideas and proposals...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 04:32:05 pm »
The first thing is quite non-standard UI of the tool. I think that better (and much more intuitive, elegant and effective) way how to offer some GUI widgets and other objects (timers, common dialogs, etc.) is implemented in IDEs like wxDev-Cpp or MS VS. NET (and higher).

I'll think about that :). Can You send some screenshoots ?

Maybe you should use some component container like wxFoldPanelBar (http://wastebucket.solidsteel.nl/cms/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=wxFoldPanelBar&back=WiwiHome) or something like that.
Wow, I've been searching for something like that, maybe not for widgets but for properties ;)

The second question is why not all events are published in "Events" pane? For example wxEVT_UPDATE_UI event is not displayed anywhere (and it is realy important feature ;)). Is it caused by current work progress or somebody has forgotten to add it?
It is generally caused by WIP status. But sometimes wxWidgets doesn't offer all events - f.ex. You can not set Your event handler using event tables for mouse events inside button etc. I've already worked on it and I think I've found a solution. New recoded version of wxSmith will support them all :D

The last remark is simple: take into account that not all of us have big 19'' monitors and do not waste free place with unnecessary big icons... :)

Do You mean widgets icons? You can switch to 32x32 in options (I work on 15'' LCD - that's all I can afford  :( so I may not nottice such things :?). But I can add support for bigger icons if You want :D, maybe some vector-based in future so there won't be any problem with any size  8)

Offline marfi

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 05:03:12 pm »
Screenshot of wxDev-Cpp IDE is here: http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/newwxdevcpp.jpg

You can use wxFoldPanelBar (or wxTreeMultiCtrl downloadable from the same location like wxFoldPanelBar) mentioned in my previous topic for docking of widgets with similar functionality (meaning), for example: controls, windows, menus, system, dialogs, etc... The same way is used also in MS VS.

A concept of properties' modifications that you've choosen is good and standard; do not change it :) Btw, what about (visual) menu editor? ;)

takeshimiya

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 07:49:16 pm »
This would had probably made it: http://ttanalytics.nm.ru/wxcomponents/wxToolBox/index.dhtml but it's not OpenSource.

Anyways I don't think the toolbar approach is bad, and they even take less screen space. :)