Author Topic: Configuring C::B correctly for QT4?  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Sephiroth

• Multiple posting newcomer
Configuring C::B correctly for QT4?
« on: August 27, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »
Alright, I've read multiple threads here as well as guides elsewhere and cannot get this working. How do I correctly configure C::B for use with QT4? I am in Linux and I do have the environment variable correctly set. Basic QT4 apps compile just fine, but now that I am using slots and such, I need to define "Q_OBJECT", and this requires qmake to run. I have modified my project to use a custom makefile, modified the make commands to specify "debug" and "release" instead of the capital letter versions, and I have run "qmake -project" and created my .pro file. I did spend several days trying to find a working solution prior to posting here, and I hope this is the correct board since this (from my standpoint) is likely a configuration issue.

I am running C::B 13.12 on Debian 7.6 AMD64 and am using QT4.8. Both C::B and QT4 came from my repositories.

Offline Sephiroth

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Configuring C::B correctly for QT4?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:59:51 pm »
Alright, I believe I figured it out. For some unknown reason, Qt does NOT make a normal Makefile. It has neither debug or release targets! Those should be defaults! Argh! Loads of extra work to get it working, but I have a working solution to share for others to use.

1) Go to Project->Properties...
2) Check the box "This is a custom Makefile"
3) Click on the "Project's build options..." button
4) Click on the top-most option in the tree on the left. This should be the name of your project!
5) Click on the "Pre/post build steps" tab
6) Paste the following text into the "Pre-build steps" box, being sure to replace "Project.pro" with your project name
Code
$(#qt4)/bin/qmake -project
printf "\\nCONFIG += debug_and_release\\n" >> Project.pro
printf "Debug:DESTDIR = bin/Debug\\nDebug:OBJECTS_DIR = obj/Debug/.obj\\nDebug:MOC_DIR = obj/Debug/.moc\\nDebug:RCC_DIR = obj/Debug/.rcc\\nDebug:UI_DIR = obj/Debug/.ui\\n" >> Project.pro
printf "Release:DESTDIR = bin/Release\\nRelease:OBJECTS_DIR = obj/Release/.obj\\nRelease:MOC_DIR = obj/Release/.moc\\nRelease:RCC_DIR = obj/Release/.rcc\\nRelease:UI_DIR = obj/Release/.ui\\n" >> Project.pro
$(#qt4)/bin/qmake -makefile Project.pro
7) Click on the "Make commands" tab
8) Select "Debug" on the left
9) Modify "Clean target/project" from "$make -f $makefile clean$target" to "$make -f $makefile $target-clean"
10) Select "Release" on the left and apply the changes you made to debug
11) Modify "Clean target/project" from "$make -f $makefile clean$target" to "$make -f $makefile $target-clean"
12) Click the OK button
13) Click on the "Build targets" tab
14) Highlight "Debug", click the "Rename" button, and rename it to "debug"
15) Now rename "Release" to "release"

Everything is fine now, and should build. Note that this is with C::B 13.12 in Wheezy's backports repo and Qt 4.8.2 from the Wheezy repo. The only problem that I see is if you copy the project to a Windows system, you would have to replace the "printf" commands with something else. I chose printf because POSIX echo does not support newline characters.

*EDIT*

Had to disable smileys. They made step 8 a smiley!

Also had to add the steps for modifying the clean commands!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:13:19 am by Sephiroth »