Author Topic: Bug/feature reqeust move to Sourceforge  (Read 31360 times)

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Bug/feature reqeust move to Sourceforge
« on: November 08, 2013, 06:16:41 am »
BerliOS site has so limited feature on bugs/feature requests.
No email notification(only the dev assign the bug can receive the email), no file attachment....

This make devs hard to control/handle there issues.
With Sourceforge, we can have all of the feature above, besides that, I believe even more feature like the svn hook can be used to synchronize the bug report and the svn commit.

The difficult is: we have a lot of bugs/features in berliOs, so its hard to migrate.
Method:
1, free/lock the reports in berliOS (no new issues will be added)
2, enable the bugs/feature reqeusts in SF
3, I think some days later, we can clean up/digest all the issues in berliOS

What do you think?
BTW: If there is a way to translate the berliOS data to SF, that would be better.

EDIT:

I see this issue report by morten: #22161 (Transfer script for BerliOS->SourceForge) – sourceforge

But it was closed two years ago without any method mentioned:(

EDIT2:
I fire one in sourceforge, see: Forge / Feature Requests / #190 Is there any way to translate the bug/feature request data from berliOS to Sourceforge

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:38:48 am by ollydbg »
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Bug/feature reqeust move to Sourceforge
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:07:01 am »
I don't think this is a good idea.
The bug tracker on sf.net is awkward. If we're going to switch to something new it better be standalone bugtracker controlled by us.
So we can read its database move it to another platform, etc.
Almost all new/modern bugtrackers support import from older bugtrackers (mantis, bugzilla, trac).

Also I don't think we should bother much with moving the database, just make the berlios bugtracker read only for users and start a new one somewhere else.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

ToApolytoXaos

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:33:42 am »
Almost all new/modern bugtrackers support import from older bugtrackers (mantis, bugzilla, trac).
Indeed what you suggest is the best alternative IMHO and even though I very much prefer trac for its simplicity, I would say bugzilla is much more appropriate for C::B as a whole. Anyhow, that's only my suggestion and should not be taken for granted.

Also, It would be really convenient if registered users could login to submit either tickets or suggestions.

I would not mind to QA the entire project for old pending tickets so you guys concentrate on improvements. The only reason I did not do so thus far is because I did not want to register on Berlios as well while I'm already registered here.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 07:02:13 pm »
If we're going to switch to something new it better be standalone bugtracker controlled by us.
I am in support of this.

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 07:21:08 pm »
Also I don't think we should bother much with moving the database, just make the berlios bugtracker read only for users and start a new one somewhere else.

I think this send a negative signal to our bug reporters. Why can't we import the old reports including some metadata that says this is a berlios era bug report and links back to the original report (because we won't be able to transfer user names easily if at all)?

Details for getting an RSS dump of bugs etc from berlios are here:

http://developer.berlios.de/docman/display_doc.php?docid=2056&group_id=2#tracker

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 08:08:14 pm »
I think this send a negative signal to our bug reporters.
Our reporters are already getting negative signals or to be more correct they get no signals, because almost no one bothers to follow or answer the reports.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 08:28:07 pm »
PS: I do think github's issue tracker is pretty good (and avoids redundancy of having separate features/support/patch/bug report trackers) and it seems to be relatively easy to import and export data to/from.

Offline dmoore

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 08:29:17 pm »
I think this send a negative signal to our bug reporters.
Our reporters are already getting negative signals or to be more correct they get no signals, because almost no one bothers to follow or answer the reports.

Agree. Step 1 after the migration should be triaging the bugs reported at least in the last year. (About 100 by my count?)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:38:51 pm by dmoore »

ToApolytoXaos

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 10:38:05 pm »
In case you decide to go with github's issue tracker, please count me in as Quality Assurance.

Cheers.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 04:06:30 pm »
FYI: I get one Reply from a SF guy:
Hi, we don't have an import process available specifically for Berlios, but you can import tickets based on a certain JSON format. That format is not fully documented but you can create a test project/tracker and export its data and use that as a complete example. See Admin > Export, and Admin > Import > Allura Import. So if you have a way to extract the data from Berlios then you can create that json file and import it.

If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 02:18:16 am »
I see bad news about Sourceforge:
http://www.gluster.org/2013/08/how-far-the-once-mighty-sourceforge-has-fallen/
and
http://www.gimp.org/ (the title is: GIMP Windows Installers move from Sourceforge to ftp.gimp.org)

EDIT: I just check our exe installer on SF was affected, the result is: it still download the correct exe (with the name: codeblocks-12.11mingw-setup.exe), but people may concern whether SF may do some modification to this exe, so we need check-sum numbers.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:33:23 am by ollydbg »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 01:09:59 pm »
Aren't there any free Trac providers? Yiannis had Trac installed on the server that runs the website just for testing, and for laughs, some 3-4 years ago (or longer ago?). It worked really nicely and made both BerliOS and Sourceforge look like total loser sites.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 01:25:15 pm »
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/CommercialServices (at the top there are some free options)

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 02:02:22 pm »
Do I need to send a PM to Yiannis? To let him enable the Trac service in our server? I think Trac does not take much traffic and CPU usage compared to our forum(SMF).

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 03:13:26 pm »
Just for the interes, I havee placed a json file with the conten of our bug, feature and patch-tracker.
I used a slightly modified version of forgeplucker (a software that seems to be discontinued).

See: http://apt.jenslody.de/downloads/berlios.json.xz (about 2MB packed).