Author Topic: Complex "Issue"  (Read 3398 times)

Offline TomCatFort

• Single posting newcomer
Complex "Issue"
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:44:05 pm »
Hello!

This "Issue" maybe complex and look strange, but it is important to me and I would greatly appreciate your responses.

I want to develop a cross platform C++ software (lets call it Product) that is made up from multiple shared libraries and applications. Problem originates from the way I wish to store the project files:
Code
x/out/Platform-Tool-Config/
x/proj_ide/Lib1/
x/proj_ide/App1/
x/include/Product/Lib1/
x/src/Product/Lib1/
x/src/Product/App1/
Ass you can see I want a dedicated folder for library header files and the library and application source and furthermore separate directory for IDE project files. I need this as in the future I may need to switch or use multiple IDE/toolchains.
I tried many IDE: Netbeans, it lets me do it nicely, but the debugger refuses to stop at breakpoints and other similar problems. Visual Studio is not cross platform. And Eclipse won't let me store the source files this way even after of hours of fight with it. The latest CodeBlocks allows this but adding new files to the project is a great hassle, not to mention that after adding the file I manually need to move it into a virtual directory to make the workspace explorer look nice and simple (I can make screenshots and describe why is it looks bad and a hassle).

Does code blocks let me do this nicely? Or developing this kind of a product done in a different way? Maybe I need to learn and use CMAKE?

Please give me some help or advice. I took my day fighting with IDEs and not working debuggers.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Complex "Issue"
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:06:10 pm »
Hm, what version are you using?
Recent nightly builds have some improvement to the virtual folders.
Have you tried some of them?

@devs: Is it possible to add a file to the project with right clicking on a virtual folder? If not is it easy to add? I never use virtual folders and I don't know it if is possible or not, and I do not have c::b to test it at the moment.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:12:19 pm »
Do you really need virtual folders ?
Why not use real folders with this structure ?

Offline TomCatFort

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:26:09 pm »
Hm, what version are you using?
I'm using the nightly build made Oct 29 2011, according to the about window.
Is it possible to add a file to the project with right clicking on a virtual folder?
I tried, I can only add further virtual directories.
Do you really need virtual folders ?
Why not use real folders with this structure ?
I use whatever works nicely, but non of them nice or easy to use.

EDIT: I added an image of using real folders and virtual folders. Real folders look very bad and they separate .hpp and .cpp files automatically. Virtual folders looks much better and they even let me put my files exactly where they belong logically (Include stores public API includes, source stores implementation and non public headers) but adding files to them is a hassle.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:42:00 pm by TomCatFort »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 09:58:03 pm »
Right-click your project and chose "Project tree" (or go to "Project -> Project tree" and uncheck "Categorize by file type".
You can also play with th eother options, but this one unchecked and "Display folders as on disk" checked might be what you want.

Offline TomCatFort

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:22:57 pm »
Thank you, that helps greatly. Unusual but helps.