Author Topic: what gdb version do you use? any issues?!  (Read 7543 times)

Offline adfm

• Multiple posting newcomer
what gdb version do you use? any issues?!
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:12:31 pm »
Hello all

I've been having some issues with gdb and I decided to downgrade to gdb 6.6.

With gdb 7.0, and while debuguing, CB would often crash if I had anything of the STL on the watch list. Better yet, gdb would crash and CB would go along for the ride.

Another thing that happened and I couldn't figure out why is that sometimes the debuger simply wouldn't start and my application. Instead it would just return to the default CB workspace....

Another issue that I've found in all of the versions of gdb that I've tried is that when I change the debug points while doing debug, they often don't get recognized and the debuger simply skips them as if they aren't there.

I though that these issues were due to some gdb bugs, but now I'm not so sure.

Has anyone had any issues with gbd on CB?

GDB 6.6
GCC 3.4.5 mingw-vista special (hummmm...)

Cheers

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:19:25 pm by adfm »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: what gdb version do you use? any issues?!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 02:28:55 pm »
What is your C::B version?
If you're using 8.02, can you try a nightly build and tell us which of the problems are still there.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline adfm

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 03:52:34 pm »
sh... I forgot to mention the CB version

I'm using the latest build, but this problem has been occurring for quite a while now. I've been doing all of the nightly build updates so...

Cheers

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 05:24:39 pm »
Another thing that happened and I couldn't figure out why is that sometimes the debuger simply wouldn't start and my application. Instead it would just return to the default CB workspace....
I have the same problem, for a console project the terminal is started but the debugged program is not, and there is no pattern at all.

Another issue that I've found in all of the versions of gdb that I've tried is that when I change the debug points while doing debug, they often don't get recognized and the debuger simply skips them as if they aren't there.
This should not happen, can you provide simple project + steps to reproduce?

I'm on linux 64bit gdb 7.0.x ... debugger branch
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline adfm

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 09:00:35 pm »
I have to try with a simple project.

I actually only work with CB on a huge project and I don't know if that can be an issue when debugging...

Offline TerryP

• My journal
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 11:22:34 pm »
I very rarely need to use a debugger, when I do, it's usually the one supplied by my OS. That usually varies between GDB 5.x and 6.x. This workstations got GCC 4.2.1 / GDB 6.1.1 but I've yet to use C::B for debugging.
Just Another Computer Geek

Offline adfm

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:39:43 am »
I just got a new PC and I installed Kaspersky  AV on it. I noticed that when I tried to debug a test project for the first time the AV popped up and showed me a message about "gdb is trying to inject into another program. bla, bla, bla" and terminated gdb

the output pane on CB read this:
Debugger finished with status 1

This is just about what happened to me before... I have no idea if it was due to that, but... just some extra input|

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 02:07:46 pm »
the AV popped up and showed me a message about "gdb is trying to inject into another program. bla, bla, bla"
What a bad AV solution. I would not trust such an AV software. Who on earth knows what else is being blocked...?!
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline autobot

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 03:54:59 am »
Kaspersky is not that great, but when injection is occuring it is nice to be notified at least once so you can decide if this is a 'trusted' application.