User forums > Help

SDK Included in Installer

(1/5) > >>

sethjackson:
Well I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, but here goes. I'm wondering if the SDK could be included in the next RC of C::B.
I think it would be easier to use this way. I'm not saying that it should be forced on the user to install the SDK, but merely given the option if they desire to install it. Also if you use Windows you have to download another app that can decompress .tar.gz files this really isn't a big deal because 7-zip is free and it will decompress .tar.gz files This way people won't have to download three different things the C::B installer, the SDK, and possibly a file archiver. Maybe this is a bad idea, but I thought I would get it out there.  :wink:

takeshimiya:
Given that perhaps 20% of users develop actually for C::B, and most of them compile from CVS anyway, I don't think it's worth the effort (moreover, there are people on dial up, so you must keep the size small).

David Perfors:
It hink it is a good idea, but indeed you also need to keep it small :? perhaps you should use an other format for the SDK (zip?)

sethjackson:
I agree with keeping size small because I used to have dial-ip :). Anyways maybe the SDK could be at least in .zip form, if not included in the installer.

takeshimiya:
I think .tar.bz2 it's better than .zip or .tar.gz as it compresses more (specially small files ie. source code), and it's rather a very common format today in the sourceforge projects. And even for windows, most programs can open them (ie. 7-zip, WinRAR, etc).

But I've noticed that most projects on sf.net use double releases, most of them release in both formats, .tar.bz2 and .zip, and some are distributing now in .7z also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version