Author Topic: Why code-completion can't support VC9?  (Read 10821 times)

Offline Loaden

• Lives here!
Why code-completion can't support VC9?
« on: November 09, 2008, 02:53:41 am »
code-completion can't support namespace?
if i write "std::vector<int> v1", and v1. can't show anything.

but if not include "std::", it's work fine.

!! if i use VC9, string's and MessageBox's (also other Windows API)  code-completion can not work!
but if i use GCC 4.3.2, it's work fine!!

why Code::Blocks's code-completion not support VC9's compiler?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 03:01:20 am by Loaden »

Offline Wolf

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Why code-completion can't support VC9?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:29:53 pm »
1. This forum is for development only. For help, see the Help forum. http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/board,1.0.html

2. Knowing the version of Code::Blocks you are using will help a lot. The platform you are on may help also. EDIT: I saw in your signature that you use Windows XP SP3 and Code::Blocks SVN (which revision?). But it is one of the rare times I look at signatures, and topic summary does not include it.

3. We all know code completion is broken. Read around and you'll pretty much figure it out.

4. The code completion makes no difference of the compiler. It does not even interact with the compiler, as far as I know.

5. (This one is a personal opinion) Code completion killed programming. Without code completion, a lot of programmers I know would not be able to call a MessageBox using the Win32 API.
<quote from a friend>How do you write 'MessageBox'? My IDE doesn't know.</quote>

This point-form post was brought to you by
-- Wolf --
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:31:39 pm by Wolf »

Offline Loaden

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:22:25 am »
I'm sorry for post here.
I use the SVN always is lastly. always currently SVN version.
thank you to explain.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 04:30:24 am »
5. (This one is a personal opinion) Code completion killed programming. Without code completion, a lot of programmers I know would not be able to call a MessageBox using the Win32 API.
<quote from a friend>How do you write 'MessageBox'? My IDE doesn't know.</quote>

This point-form post was brought to you by
-- Wolf --

Yes, It's true for me. sometimes that I try to enter an function or a variable name, I can only remember the first letters, the other thing were left to code completion :D. I wander how to improve this plugin. There is no document and no one has maintain this plugin.

If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.