Author Topic: Developer volunteers sign up here  (Read 25971 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Developer volunteers sign up here
« on: September 20, 2005, 07:49:46 pm »
Are you a codeblocks user and you want to contribute in making a plugin, translating, etc?

"Sign up" here, and tell us what you can do! :)

(Note: You need to sign up as a forum member first)

The reason for making this thread is to organize ourselves better and make sure that people wanting to contribute aren't left unnoticed. However, we don't guarantee we'll make you an "official developer", this thread is for reference only.

Blaubaer

Re: Developer volunteers sign up here
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 08:20:46 pm »
Are you a codeblocks user and you want to contribute in making a plugin, translating, etc?

hmmm. maybe ;)

German translation. Linux testing an fixing the most obvious bugs. Maybe later some OSX testing if I introduce Code::Blocks at my workplace (Im mainly working on OSX at work, using wxWidget but don't own a mac myself). Bringing in ideas how to make it more usefull for me ;)

Stefan

Offline squizzz

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 11:46:34 pm »
I will gladly help with Polish translation. :P
this space is for rent

Lexx

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 10:14:56 am »
Hi!

I can help on Hungarian translation, wxWidgets problems (using wx 3 years) , general develop (i using  c  21 years, c++ 11 years).
but, my english is very bad (i can read, understand 80%, and probably only text around programming) (i have learned german).

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 10:18:09 am »
my english is very bad (i can read, understand 80%, and probably only text around programming) (i have learned german).
Than this is a good way to learn english ;) get active on the forum, and try to answer questions.. thatis how I learned English. (I know that I am a bit younger than you are :), but hey, you never to old to learn :D)
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

sanjivg

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 10:21:55 am »
I am interested in to help the compiler plugin development. Have understanding of compilers/tools/makefiles , their options, and good experience in C.

darklordsatan

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 12:12:54 am »
Though I know you dont want me as an official developer rickg22, for reasons both you and I know :)
I'd still like to participate in translation (spanish, If you dont have the time yourself), plugin dev and so on.. As you know, Im very fond of  C::B, the problem is, I havent been around for 1 month or so.. and checking so many new posts is a litle overwhelming, so, anyone care to give me a quick refreshing of what has been happening around ? (Yeah, I know, Im a lazy bastard  :lol:)

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 11:43:29 pm »
I am still interested in participating.  I still plan on writing the scripting pluggin.  It's just going to take a little longer.  I might get my feet wet with a simpler pluggin first.
joe mccay

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

MHaggag

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 04:18:56 pm »

I've contributed a little to the project back when it started, but stopped due to lack of time. Now I have my time back :)
I'm farily proficient with C++ and wxWidgets. I'd rather work on bug fixes and/or "improvement" requests (improving something already existing rather than adding new components/plugins), at least until I'm familiar with the codebase again.

The first thing I'll start with, though, is make it buildable with Visual C++ .NET, since it's my preferred IDE and compiler.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 06:40:30 pm »
Welcome back Muhammad :)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Florianx

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 11:08:45 pm »
I can make some plugins and also translate cb to german.
I use C++ since 4 years now, but didn't used wxWidgets before.

knue

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 02:10:26 am »
hi,

I am using codeblocks on gentoo linux now.
I have not too much time but I can help bug fixing the linux version. It seems, that the main development is done under windows, isn't it?
I have good C/C++, linux and wxWidgets skills.
Perhaps I can help to develop a plugin (I am interessted in wxSmith) when I've got more time.

Greetz,
Roland

Offline heromyth

• http://
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 05:28:00 am »
I think I have finished the Chinese translation. Now I am developing a RAD plugin similiar to wxSmith. I call it wxVFB (Visual Form Builder for wxWidgets) :lol: Still so many works need to be done.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 05:33:50 am by heromyth »

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 08:46:32 am »
Hi, I could also help in translating to Greek and as a developer I have great experience in Qt development (and as I can see there are a lot of common things with wxWidgets). I have already patched c::b to work with qmake to generate makefiles but it is kind of custom (just the things that intrested me in my work) so I haven't submited it but hopefuly I will make a complete one and submit it. I will also in the near future create a qt plugin for c::b (the design is in my head but I need some free time...)
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

mario

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 03:55:10 pm »
Hy,

I'm developing for windows and linux with C++ at work and am fluent in C/C++.
Interested in fixing bugs both win and linux, developing plugins.
Not much experience with wxWidgets, just got started playing around with it,
but have a strong desire to learn and develop my skills :)

Regards,
  Mario

P.S.
 Also can help in translation to Croatian.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 08:24:56 am by mario »

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 05:14:04 pm »
As I wrote in the Linuxforum, I'm working on a RPM-Specfile.

I'll also contact the packman team, so binary packages for Suse will be available then.
Nightly builds for openSUSE

Offline heromyth

• http://
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 09:49:05 am »

Also can help in translation to Croatian.

Maybe you can directly use the English pot file which can be get at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1274988&group_id=126998&atid=707418
Just use the tool PoEdit, you can get your local language po file. I think I will keep the English pot file the newest.

Chipset

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 05:16:04 pm »
Hi there!
I'm highly intrigued in idea of a new free and powerful C++ IDE. I'm C++ programmer and I would like to volunteer for this project to make it better by bugfixing or adding new features.
Currently I'm forking this project adding integrated simple UML editor.
Ready to work on anything related to programming.
Also, I speak Russian so I might as well help translate Code::Blocks unto this language.
Digitally yours, Alex Beluga.

JustMax

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 06:06:50 pm »
Hi, I've been using C::B as my official C/C++ IDE for about half a year now, and I'd be really glad to help such a nice project providing an Italian translation.
My wxWidgets skills are not as strong as I'd like them to be, but maybe I could help even writing (or testing) code...

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 08:37:08 pm »
Hi there!
Currently I'm forking this project adding integrated simple UML editor.

Thanks! But please don't fork, Code::Blocks has a plugin infrastructure, why not use it? I don't think we're ready for a fork right now, since we plan to redesign the SDK after 1.0 is released.

Chipset

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 08:49:49 pm »
Oh yes, sure, ok, np :) I'll use plugin SDK :)

ragnarok2040

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 08:36:58 pm »
I went through all the VCCLCompilerTool and VCLinkerTool properties that could be listed in a .vcproj file. I documented out their input types and what flags they enable/disable. I then went and added most of it to msvc7loader.cpp, but I'm still new to programming so I probably messed up on some of it. I separated the options into two branches based on whether m_ConvertSwitches was true or not. I'm mostly worried about the options that needed filenames/paths/strings as an input. Some of the properties might be handled elsewhere in the CodeBlocks project.

I uploaded the edited file plus the documented object properties.
http://www.uploadraid.com/uploads/58a0c39087.zip

I probably made a mess of things, lol, but it might help fleshing out .vcproj support.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2005, 10:38:52 pm »
That's very nice of you ragnarok2040.
I 'm sure this will be useful :)
Be patient!

anonuser

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2005, 10:54:24 pm »
I'll probably be doing the FreeBSD port.

Maybe someone can tell me why there is a bootstrap process?

Configure is supposed to detect those things for you!

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2005, 11:14:23 pm »
Maybe someone can tell me why there is a bootstrap process?

Configure is supposed to detect those things for you!

Bootstrap creates 'configure'...
Be patient!

anonuser

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2005, 11:32:13 pm »
I understand that but is there a reason its not already created?

I'm not trying to question your methods rather just understand them

lukeH

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2005, 11:41:37 am »
I've recently discovered CodeBlocks.  It's fabulous.  I've been using it for a month or so, and I'm now seeing the areas I want to improve or add to.
I've been programming for a fair number of years in mainly C, but enough C++ to be pretty comfortable with it.  I've learned my way around the Windows API pretty well, but I'm completely new to wxWidgets. Luckily, I learn pretty quickly.
I've currently got a lot of time to work on my own projects, so I can give some of that to C::B.

I'd love to see user-configurable shortcuts (being discussed in other theads) and I'm keen to see the code completion sped up, as I find it a great feature, but quite slow with projects as large as C::B.  I also would like to see it use headers which are not part of the project, but only dependancies, such as the windows headers.  I hate typing all those long #defines in  :(

I've done some work on a small program which uses exuberant tags (ctags) for autocompletion -- Perhaps I can create a code-completion plugin based on this, although I would rather see the already excellent one improved.

Anyway, another coder added joins the crowd...  :)

takeshimiya

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2005, 12:21:04 pm »
User-configurable shortcuts are implemented on CVS HEAD, and probably will make it in RC3.

About Code Completion plugin, my personal suggestion is to leave the current parser as-is, and create two Code Completion plugins: one based on a full c++ parser (elsa, antlr, synopsis, ...) and other based on Ctags.  (both using existing code whenever possible).

For me the way to go is with a full C++ parser, but Ctags is also requiered because it's pretty standard and a lot of APIs have tags created for them (win32, phpapi, ...).

lukeH

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2005, 07:24:11 am »
One more thing I forgot to mention, which would improve this brilliant IDE is:

Sorting!

I find many areas where lists are presented unsorted, which means it takes me much longer to find what I'm looking for.
Examples are:
  • Configure Editor->Autocomplete macros
  • Symbols browser (Just noticed it's fixed in CVS head - GREAT!!)
  • Configure Editor->Colors syntactic items  (Although, it could be said that these are sorted by importance ?)

That's all the one's I can think of so far.

Cheers!
 - Luke

Offline Charon

• fnord
    • charon - where mental illness meets chronic nonsense
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2005, 11:33:11 am »
Hi

i already did the Ubuntu Breezy Badger port and would love to maintain it further!

atm i am mainly using Code::Blocks for developing a small cross-platform 3D-engine (just a learning project, nothing fancy...) and other small pet projects.
while doing that spreading the word that this nice IDE exists!  :D

i would love to help more but don't have much free time lately..
just started a bit on doing a translation to german.

since two other people already talked about doing such a translation what about joining forces so we can get this one finished better and faster?  :)
just PM me if you are interested!

greets
markus
hi, i am a signature virus. please copy me into your sig!
Wish list : no root-node for workspaces, open files and symbols; world domination

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2005, 07:52:41 am »
Hey I'm Sam. Just found this project and I'm very impressed with it. My primary text editor is ConTEXT and my primary development environment is Visual Studio 2005. Both of these have advantages and disadvantages and are closed source. I would love to help with this project in the hopes of finally having an editor that solves my greatest annoyances.

----------------
Basic note:

CodeBlocks is fast to start. This is so important to me that if it wasn't the case, I would have immediately uninstalled it and never thought to look at CB again. (Think JEdit)

----------------
Editor specific:

CB uses a powerful lexer engine, but (for right now at least) it is "hard to extend." There are not many lexer modules available for CB yet. I am interested in creating a Scintilla lexer and plugin that reads and uses ConTEXT highlighter files. They have several known limitations due to a fixed format and varying syntax between languages (Matlab single quotes for strings and for matrix inversion confuses it), but there are an enormous number of highlighter files readily available and it will ease transition for new users who expect highlighting in lots of different kinds of files.

Keyboard shortcuts are now configurable. This is another huge plus for me. Unfortunately mouse actions are still fixed. I have a patch for wxScintilla that allows a user preference for mouse wheel action while the ctrl key is pressed down. The default is zoom in/out, but I prefer pageup/pagedn. I'm not sure who to work with on core editor enhancements?

My next goal is making the cursor in windows point to the right while hovering over the line numbers about to make a line selection.

Another "level 1 priority" for me is fixing the rectangular paste action. I believe this is a Scintilla bug. Rectangular copy/paste done right is an amazing feature that you don't realize how handy it is until you really experience it. ConTEXT is the sole program I have seen that does it right.

A level 2 priority is implementing virtual space in the editor, or allowing positioning the cursor at an arbitrary location after the end of a line.

-----------------
Code styling features:

Line endings, hard/soft tabs, etc. are options that are project specific more than user specific. Makefiles have separate rules on this all together. A project should be able to include a set of such rules. That way everyone that works on a project I create can have the editor automatically set up to work with 4 space soft tabs and DOS endings regardless of what they are used to.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm willing to implement any of these.

Thanks,
Sam
78 280Z, "a few bolt-ons" - 12.71@109.04
99 Trans Am, "Daily Driver" - 525rwhp/475rwtq
 Check out The Sam Zone :cool:

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2005, 08:51:05 am »
Hi Sam,
I am interested in creating a Scintilla lexer and plugin that reads and uses ConTEXT highlighter files.
why not make a simple converter then?

Keyboard shortcuts are now configurable. This is another huge plus for me. Unfortunately mouse actions are still fixed.
This is going to change. We 're not *that* happy with wxKeyBinder...

Don't be afraid to ask any questions you might have during the process ;)

Yiannis.
Be patient!

dbtsai

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2005, 08:07:47 pm »
I could help translate tradition Chinese ( locale zh_TW) usually use in Taiwan and HK.

where could I obtain the po file??

Sorry for my poor english   :D :D

Olorin

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2005, 11:31:31 am »
Hi all,
I can help in c++ programming, starting from non-invasive code cleanup and small fixes upto (once obtained a decent knowledge of CB internal architecture) active development.
I don't know if there are style guidelines... if yes, where can I find them? If not: what about proposing them? From the code I saw (rc2 sources) formatting is left to each programmer taste and this, for personal experience, can lead to misunderstandings (read as: bugs). I just ask because while walking through source files I could also reformat them (not a nice job, but cleaner formatting helps my comprehension of the code itself. I can post a proposal about this, if appreciated.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2005, 05:33:26 pm »
Olorin: Just try to be consistent with existing source code.

If's should have { and } even if it's a one-liner. {'s should be just below the if/while.

My recommendation: Start searching for opened bugs in Sourceforge, and submit patches to fix said bugs. I became a C::B developer that way :)

Olorin

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2005, 11:45:27 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply, rickg22.

Olorin: Just try to be consistent with existing source code.

I'll try... I raised the point as I couln't see any strong consistency, especially in regard to tab/spaces :)

If's should have { and } even if it's a one-liner. {'s should be just below the if/while.

That's my way of thinking, apart from the "{ below" side :)
I'll enclose one-liners in { and }, if I'll find any (apart from
Code
return
s, maybe), as I strongly believe that they can easily become sources of errors, especially in combination with indentation.

My recommendation: Start searching for opened bugs in Sourceforge, and submit patches to fix said bugs. I became a C::B developer that way :)

Ok, your suggestion is really welcome, but I think that I'll focus mainly on simple tasks for now.
Thanks again!

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005, 12:07:15 am »
Mithrandir, you may find using the source code formatter plugin in ANSI mode very helpful.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2005, 12:12:45 am »
What he may be noticing is the wxSomething modules don't follow the same rules necessarily. wxScintilla uses a different style from the one you use.

shikaku

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2005, 05:58:54 am »
I will gladly help with Japanese translation. :D

Olorin

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2005, 08:55:40 am »
Mithrandir, you may find using the source code formatter plugin in ANSI mode very helpful.

Thanks for your suggestion (and for remembering me of my many names :D), I'll give it a try.

I've seen other threads (eg. http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1642.0) that talks about (lack of) coding style guidelines... personally I don't really like to be forced to a particular scheme (especially if it's not my usual one :)), but I think that it is necessary in projects involving so many developers.
A description of how to effectively become a developer would be useful, too, unless this procedure is a first test of our skills :D. I've found this http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1636.0, but I fear that my attempt was not so succesfull (I suppose that one should never do this late at night :)).
May I suggest to insert one (or two) locked (or sticky?) topics baout this matters at the beginning of the Development forum? They would be quite useful and make development easier, faster and better.

knue

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2005, 01:32:49 pm »
hi, I have allready intruoduced myself some time ago (October, the fifth).
I have not too much time but I can help to fix some bugs. I have allready started:

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1645.msg11995;topicseen#msg11995

Offline 280Z28

• Regular
  • *insert unicode here*
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2005, 01:35:38 pm »

Thanks for your suggestion (and for remembering me of my many names :D), I'll give it a try.

I've seen other threads (eg. http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1642.0) that talks about (lack of) coding style guidelines... personally I don't really like to be forced to a particular scheme (especially if it's not my usual one :)), but I think that it is necessary in projects involving so many developers.
A description of how to effectively become a developer would be useful, too, unless this procedure is a first test of our skills :D. I've found this http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1636.0, but I fear that my attempt was not so succesfull (I suppose that one should never do this late at night :)).
May I suggest to insert one (or two) locked (or sticky?) topics baout this matters at the beginning of the Development forum? They would be quite useful and make development easier, faster and better.

The Wiki is a better place for this since things are unlikely to change with time and the thing that is needed is a nice reference. That's what Wiki's are good at. A stickied thread with a link to the Wiki might be a good idea though. :)

Olorin

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2005, 03:12:37 pm »
Wiki! Never thought about it... :(
Thanks for the hint!