Author Topic: help proposal  (Read 7876 times)

Offline dev

• Single posting newcomer
help proposal
« on: October 26, 2008, 06:22:26 pm »
Hello,
I am an university student (of the last year of computer science), and I have a student project to do - it's point is to take some open-source project, and to refactor some code or to write unit tests for it. Because I am using Code::Blocks for almost a year now, I thought it would be nice if I may help with something. I have heard, that the C++ parser needs some work... Could anyone point out what exactly could help in CB development, and what I may do as my student's project topic?

Offline dev

Re: help proposal
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:37:51 am »
I've started to read the C++ parser code, and found that there are parts of code enabled by define STANDALONE - do they make the parser to be a standalone application? (it could really help in writing tests for the parser)

Offline blend

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:44:25 am »
Hey devers, come on! A fresh young coder want to help you!

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 05:29:21 pm »
I've started to read the C++ parser code, and found that there are parts of code enabled by define STANDALONE - do they make the parser to be a standalone application? (it could really help in writing tests for the parser)

I'm not fully aware of finer details of the parser source code of C::B. But there are several shortcomings in the parser where you may improve.

1) Full Union support. (A patch is in Berlios. But it's not feature complete).
2) Full Template support.
3) Full Pre-processor parsing support.

Item 3) can be easily done using Boost::Wave parser framework.

I'm not sure whether I'm missing anything or not. But these are few points which came to my mind. :)
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline dev

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 05:47:07 pm »
But there are several shortcomings in the parser where you may improve.

Umm... I think that you have misunderstood me. Right now I have to do some code refactoring ("beautifying the code", not exactly improving) or to write some tests that can help in further improvement of the parser.
Probably writing the tests could be more helpful now, as the parser code itself is quite ok.

Improvement is rather a future task...

But thanks for attention  :)

Offline sodev

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 12:43:17 am »
Hey Ferrari, i need to tune my Lamborghini, can you recommend a workshop? My car is 12 years old btw.

New record in necroposting?