Author Topic: Questions questions (enterprise)  (Read 8904 times)

SWAT

Questions questions (enterprise)
« on: September 20, 2005, 12:59:19 pm »
I'm a new user to codeblocks and I have a few questions. They are about codeblocks and wxwidgets, so hopefully you guys can help me answer some of them.
1. As I understand, you write 1 program in Codeblocks and you have a (nice) GUI in Linux and Windows, without having to code the both of them.
2. If you want to code them seperately, is this possible?
3. Is wxwidgets/codeblocks ready for enterprise applications?
4. Are there many bugs in wxwidgets/codeblocks?
5. When you deploy a program, can the wxwidgets dll (or something) be included in the program/package? So that the host OS doesn't need to install wxwidgets?

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Questions questions (enterprise)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 01:13:50 pm »
I'm a new user to codeblocks and I have a few questions. They are about codeblocks and wxwidgets, so hopefully you guys can help me answer some of them.
I will try to answer some.

1. As I understand, you write 1 program in Codeblocks and you have a (nice) GUI in Linux and Windows, without having to code the both of them.
This is not correct, CodeBlock is just an IDE wich you can use on both Linux and Windows. This is written with wxWidgets. This is the framework that makes it possible to write programs for Linux and Windows without much trouble.

2. If you want to code them seperately, is this possible?
it should be possible..

3. Is wxwidgets/codeblocks ready for enterprise applications?
I think it is, but I am not sure if I understand you correctly...

4. Are there many bugs in wxwidgets/codeblocks?
Ofcourse there are many bugs in both projects (which program doesn't have a bug?), but the most of them are still hidden.

5. When you deploy a program, can the wxwidgets dll (or something) be included in the program/package? So that the host OS doesn't need to install wxwidgets?
Yes this is possible in several ways:
1. You include the wxWidgets dll in the setup.
2. You don't use a dll, but link wxWidgets staticly into you're program.

I hope this helps you... and probably others have some more comments ;)
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

SWAT

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 04:01:58 pm »
So if I write a program using Codeblocks (with 1 GUI) it should work on both Linux and Windows?

With enterprise I mean programs that could be build using Codeblocks/Wxwidgets and the programs are intented for use in big companies.

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 04:55:40 pm »
Yes, as long you stay far away from platform specific code, it is possible to write crossplatform applications.

And it is possible to write enterprise programs...
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 05:35:12 pm »
Specifically: Codeblocks is written using the GNU GPL license, but the programs you make with it, are NOT. wxWidgets DLL is distributied using the wxWidgets license, which states you can distribute the DLL in your commercial apps without requiring the distribution of the source code. So, yes, it's ok.

About making commercial grade applications, wxWidgets has been used to make applications like Shareaza, a very good file sharing program. In the wxWidgets site there are listed other applications built with it.

Remember, codeblocks is an IDE. What you do with the programs you buld with it, is your own business.

takeshimiya

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 05:58:12 pm »
wxWidgets is one of the toolkits most used in Enterprise/Engineering applications.

See a list of very big and important programs made by wxWidgets here:

http://wxwidgets.org/users.htm
http://wxwidgets.org/apps2.htm

zieQ

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 01:40:52 pm »
Well, for C::B use in enterprise, I would not say C::B is stable enough for this according to its status on the project page:

Development Status: 4 - Beta

But maybe the status could be changed now ? Much work has been done ! :wink:

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 05:46:11 pm »
When we reach 1.0-final, YES, we'll change it to "5 - stable". When we get version 1.1 finished with extensible compiler options, I think we *might* change it to "6 - mature", but it depends. I say we shouldn't change it to 6 until we get all the linux problems tackled, jailed and with the key thrown away :P