Author Topic: Suggestion: Regular releases every 3 or 4 months?  (Read 3139 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Suggestion: Regular releases every 3 or 4 months?
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:16:37 pm »
Hi guys! I needed to switch distros on my machine (from PCLinuxOS to Mepis 8.0b2), but unfortunately I ended up erasing my good ol' trusty cb build. So now I need to download the source from SVN (some bugs on 8.02 needed to be fixed), and this led me to study the development cycle of Code::Blocks.

The nightly buids are tested immediately by enthusiastic users, which leads to bugs fixed quickly on SVN. However, further builds with fixes for those bugs are not always published, and often new bugs are introduced due to the subversion repository  unstability.

This was comparable with the WINE way: Make no releases. But when WINE switched to a stable-unstable development cycle, things are improving much better: New features are introduced in a testing release, and all the bugs introduced are fixed for the next "stable" release.

So, why not doing that with C::B? This will allow for continuosly-improving versions to appear in most distro's repositories. So let's say, dedicate 2 or 3 months to adding features, and after a certain period of time is reached, we say "OK, let's not add any more features, we're going into "release" mode. Then a couple of RC's will be published before the final one is released.

I know that this may slow development, but I'm sure users will really appreciate it. See, right now, I don't know which specific revision of the SVN repository I should download, and right now I really don't have the time to do bug tracking. I think I may go for the safe route and download an old revision  - or is there a revision you guys can recommend?

This leads me to the second question. Perhaps after a nightly build the team could enter a "very short bugfix cycle" and say "all bugs reported in this nightly build got fixed by revison NNN", so that us SVN users can simply download said revision?

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Rick.

Offline Blue-Tiger

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Suggestion: Regular releases every 3 or 4 months?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 10:24:42 am »
Just my 0.02 cent as a regular user: I too would highly appreciate regular releases :)

Offline Alexis

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Suggestion: Regular releases every 3 or 4 months?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 11:07:23 am »
I strongly agree!