Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Contributions to C::B

BOUNTY: bakefile - Output: C::B Project Files

(1/7) > >>

takeshimiya:
Hi! I think that it's very important to add support for C::B project files in the bakefile project.

Currently with a bakefile you can generate:
-MS Visual C++ projects
-MS eMbedded Visual C++ projects
-Borland C++ Builder X projects
-Xcode 2 projects
-MS Visual C++ makefiles
-MinGW makefiles
-GNU GCC makefiles
-Borland makefiles
-Digital Mars makefiles
-Open Watcom makefiles
-Autoconf support

As wxWidgets uses bakefiles (well, bakefiles are developed by Vaclav, one of the leaders of wx), you can for example, compile the wx lib and samples with only 1 or 2 clicks when using the projects of MSVC or others.

So, if bakefiles supports as an output the .cbp Code::Blocks project files, it will be very easy to compile for example the wx lib.
And when the support for .cbp files in the bakefile project, the .cbp files will come by default in the next releases of wxWidgets.
That would make:
a) Compiling wxWidgets from inside C::B.
b) Make C::B a lot more popular because it'll come with project files bundled.
c) For your own projects, you can use bakefiles also, so you wouldn't be forcing the users of your project to have a specific IDE to compile it.
d) As compiling wxWidgets from inside C::B would be a lot more easy than compiling from command line (and mostly for new users), we'll be stopping a lot the endless posts in the forum "I can't compile wxWidgets, what I have to type in the command line..."

I don't think it would be very hard to do, as the format of C::B files is XML, and the bakefiles itself are XML too.

I would make it, but the bakefile code is in Python (I don't know Python).

If you know Python, please take a look at http://bakefile.sourceforge.net/

rickg22:
Yes, but there is a problem. Codeblocks CBP files are _NOT_ XML compliant.

for starters.... <Code::Blocks_project_file> isn't a valid XML element. See the :: in there? They're forbidden.

takeshimiya:
Well, that's not the point.
The MSVC project files aren't XML for example.

Anyways, there is any good reason to not be XML compliant?

mandrav:

--- Quote from: rickg22 on September 17, 2005, 04:30:43 am ---Yes, but there is a problem. Codeblocks CBP files are _NOT_ XML compliant.

for starters.... <Code::Blocks_project_file> isn't a valid XML element. See the :: in there? They're forbidden.

--- End quote ---

Is this the only problem with the file, or is there more?

rickg22:
No, i think that's the only problem so far... just use valid tag names, and ta-da.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version