Author Topic: Immigrating from MSVC2005  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Siavash

• Single posting newcomer
Immigrating from MSVC2005
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:22:45 pm »
Hello guys   :D , I'm n00b to Code::Blocks and I want to Immigrate from MSVC2005 to Code::Blocks.

I have used MSVC2005, MCVCS2005 and SharpDevelop2 about 2 years and because of their Low code execution speed and High CPU and Memory usage, I want to return back from MSVC2005 and .NET Framework.

I have searched for IDEs and compilers that don't use .NET and I have found the Code::Blocks the best selection for my needs because of it's unique features and other compilers such as MSVC2001 and ... are pretty useless.

For final steps to immigrating I have some questions to be answered:

1.Is there any GUI Builder integrated to the Code::Blocks like MSVC2005 ToolBar that you can change their properties and attach events to them ? (Please post some screenshots of that in practice)

2.Is it possible to compile MSVC2005 projects by Code::Blocks ?

3.What is the performance differences between MinGW and MSVC compilers ? (I mean code execution speed, CPU and Mem usage and at last file size and compatibility)

4.Does the integrated MinGW 3.4.5 compiler with Code::Blocks support OpenMP ? (How about newer MinGW versions ?)

I want to use Code::Blocks for making 3D OpenGL games too, does it providing a suitable env for me ?

Please answer all of my questions guys and any ideas or helps are welcome.
At last, Thank you for your respect friends !
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:35:09 pm by Siavash »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Immigrating from MSVC2005
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:48:19 pm »
1) yes : wxSmith
2) yes
3) dunno
4) I don't think so, I think you need more recent one (I use Mingw gcc 4.2.1)
5) I think so, there's an opengl project wizard (File-> new -> project ....)

Offline Alexis

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 12:02:34 am »
I have used MSVC2005, MCVCS2005 and SharpDevelop2 about 2 years and because of their Low code execution speed and High CPU and Memory usage, I want to return back from MSVC2005 and .NET Framework.
Good idea !

1.Is there any GUI Builder integrated to the Code::Blocks like MSVC2005 ToolBar that you can change their properties and attach events to them ? (Please post some screenshots of that in practice)
For screenshots: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=WxSmith_tutorials

Yes, but you won't be able to debug your code from C::B.

3.What is the performance differences between MinGW and MSVC compilers ? (I mean code execution speed, CPU and Mem usage and at last file size and compatibility)
Under Windows, MSVC compiles slightly faster than MinGW (a tip: use precompiled headers). With a recent hardware, it doesn't make a lot of differences. Output footprint is 2 or 3 times heavier with MinGW than with MSVC, but wo cares today ? File formats for objects (.o) and libraries (.a) are GCC-specific.

Hope this helps.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 01:32:17 am »
Yes, but you won't be able to debug your code from C::B.
...unless you install Microsoft's debugging tools -- C::B integrates support for cdb.exe.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline Siavash

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:29:09 am »
Thanks a lot friends for your cutting edge notes and helps.

I think it's time to prepare for the immigration  :lol: but I have some questions again friends ! :D

1.I want to use C::B for game programming and I want to know is C::B integrated to my tools ? (I use GLFW and Horde3D and both of them are similar to windows api to use (They are DLL files) then I want to integrate OpenAL , ENET and Scripting languages such as Python and LUA .)

2.For game programming the fastest code execution is very important. Does the MinGW provide this , or I must to use another compiler ? (Please post some benchmarks of MinGW and MSVC compiled code execution speeds)

3.Which choice is the best , depending on your experiences ?
-Using the offical C::B 8.02 with it's integrated MinGW 3.4.5, wxWidgets and Debugger.
-Using the C::B nightly builds ; If the answer is true which nightly build is most stable and which components I must to download separately such as MinGW , Debugger , wxWidgets and ... and at last how to integrate them.
-Do you have any other ideas ?

4.Is it possible to use Assembly and SSE codes with the C::B ?

Thank you very much  8)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 06:38:51 am by Siavash »

Offline Alexis

• Multiple posting newcomer
Debugging with MSVC2005 from CB
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 11:06:35 am »
...unless you install Microsoft's debugging tools -- C::B integrates support for cdb.exe.
I'm keen to have some more feedbacks about this. I tried once to use cdb, but as far as I remember, it was slow, and not as confortable as using VC++ 2005 Express directly.

Thanks!