Author Topic: new project wizard fails to locate glfw3.h  (Read 155 times)

Offline Vigor

• Single posting newcomer
new project wizard fails to locate glfw3.h
« on: April 17, 2024, 01:54:44 am »
This was not a problem before I installed the 13493 nightly build.

I now have 2 installations of codeblocks on my computer, one residing at the default location, the other residing where I unzipped the nightly.   

But that is fine, the nightly installation works great for my old projects and they get their .h .dll .a .lib files from the path to them from the old installation of codeblocks.

The default path of the new nightly build installation's wizard uses the old installation of codeblocks files.   That seems strange but the files are there so, I'm not bothered.   The problem is it keeps failing to find glfw3.h which, in the past resided in a GL\ directory inside the MINGW\include\ directory.   I also tried copying the
opengl files to the respective directories in the new installation and using the MINGW64 directory of the nightly installation but that didn't work either.

I found an old post where this was an issue 6 years ago and tried to follow the instructions to fix it
https://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=22850.0 but it doesn't appear to be exactly the same issue.  I think that old problem is fixed in this version but my problem is just similar.  I went to edit the script for the new project but the line numbers are different.  I think i found the appropriate lines of code but they already look right.   I don't know what to change or how to change it.   Perhaps this function shows the right place?

Code
function GetFilesDir()
{
    return _T("glfw/files");
}

Might that mean that I need to make a folder \MINGW64\INCLUDE\GLFW\FILES\ and ..\LIB\GLFW\FILES\ etc or would all of the gl files, .a .lib .dll go in one MINGW64\GLFW\FILES\ folder?    Is there even supposed to be a FILES\ folder or does the "files" in "glfw/files" act as a wildcard for files in a GLFW\ folder?

I also tried making an empty console application and converting it to a glfw3 application but that didn't work either, it said glfw3.h was missing at compile time.

In my previous/first installation of codeblocks, making a glfw project used glfw.h and I had to alter
each new project to make it a glfw3.h project.

I also tried moving all opengl .h .dll .a .lib files to the MINGW\ and MINGW64\ directories but that didn't work either.

I think i might be inclined to put all of the glfw3 files in one place to avoid needing a bunch of different paths but...   I suspect the solution to my problem is simple but arbitrary and i am unlikely to figure it out on my own.

Thank you for codeblocks and thank you for your time

Offline Vigor

• Single posting newcomer
Re: new project wizard fails to locate glfw3.h
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:36:53 am »
Through trial and error, going down many rabbit holes, trying to understand the glfw3 project script I found a solution to the above problem.

I took the glfw3 folder with a copy of the glfw3.h file from my initial download and moved it until I found the right spot for it.   It goes in MinGW/Include/, so MINGW/Include/GLFW3/glfw3.h

Before trying this I tried to change the path in the script to where glfw3.h is and has been working for years but it didn't work.  In fact it still works for all of my old projects so there must be a better solution.

After completing the wizard I got a new project that doesn't complile.   It gives a lot of (i think) linking errors of undefined references such as

C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\MinGW\lib/libglfw3.a(init.c.obj):init.c:(.text+0xb9): undefined reference to `__mingw_free'

In the above error line, one thing seems peculiar.   "MinGW\lib/libglfw3.a"  sometimes it is using forward slash and other times it is using backslash.    I have seen paths written with forward slashes or with back slashes but I think this is the first time I have ever seen a path written with a combination of forward and back slashes.

libglfw3.a is in the MinGW/LIB/ folder. (i didn't need to move it from where it has been for years)

I read a post on stack exchange which had an almost identical problem where it was determined that the original poster needed to update his GCC compiler.   I recently updated mine but I went ahead and updated it again and nothing changed.

Since I have two full installations of codeblocks on my computer, I wanted to try to start projects in both, then edit both scripts and compare them side by side looking for differences.   It wouldn't let me open both a once.  I can open one, then trying to execute the 2nd brings the window to the other to the front.

Is there a way to have 2 instances of codeblocks running at once?  It would often be useful if I could have multiple instances of codeblocks running at once.   It would be really great if each instance had a unique thumbnail and didn't stack in the taskbar.