Author Topic: Solving problem compiling wxWindows with built-in minGW (MSW)  (Read 4143 times)

Offline 0xBA0BAB

• Single posting newcomer
Solving problem compiling wxWindows with built-in minGW (MSW)
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:24:35 am »
Guys, why you're locked my first topic without explanations?

I found a little trouble in C::B installer package.

I asked for help to compile wxWidgets using C::B built-in minGW-gcc compiler (in previos locked and deleted topic).

According to this page: http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/GettingStarted minGW have to install in directory with NO SPACES!

But C::B installs by default in "Program files" directory! And, of course, "Program files" contains a space!
When I've reinstall C::B in another directory (contains no spaces), my troubles automatically resolves!

Dear C::B developers, please, can you modify installer to choose by default another directory, not "Program files"?

Offline 0xBA0BAB

Re: Solving problem compiling wxWindows with built-in minGW (MSW)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:08:57 am »
Or please modify installer to choose manualy where to install minGW (I've not found this option in existing installer)

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:48:47 pm »
Guys, why you're locked my first topic without explanations?
Well, because the question in your other thread wasn't related to Code::Blocks. Worse, you even said that you knew this forum wasn't the right place to ask.

That's like those drivers who turn on the warning lights when they park in 2nd row. They know that what they're doing is wrong and that they jeopardise other motorists, as proven by turning on the warning lights. But they still do it, because they care a crap.

We are getting at least 3-4 questions per day which are entirely unrelated to Code::Blocks. It used to be even worse in the past. The inquiries reach from "problem compiling [some random library]" to "plz teach me program C" and "plz do my homework".

We have tried to solve the issue with patience for a long time. First, by answering but reminding them to ask in the right place. Then by only telling them to ask in the right place, but most of the time someone would eventually answer anyway.
The result was, what had to be expected: as long as people do get a reply, they care a crap.

This forum is the Code::Blocks forum. It is not the wxWidgets forum, not the MinGW forum, it is not Gamedev.net, it is not the How-To-Learn-Programming forum, and it is not a thousand other forums. Questions that are not related to Code::Blocks eat up a lot of our time, as even if we don't answer, the moderators still have to read them all.

Therefore, we now simply lock unrelated topics, or delete them without notice (it seems someone deleted it after I locked it?).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline 0xBA0BAB

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 08:19:16 pm »
Thomas, you right, my first question wasn't completly correct for this forum, but, as I see, this topic is very close for this forum. And I think this is a correct answer for incorrect question. If this topic is not locked, I suppose, it is correct. (Yes, I've deleted previous topic after you've locked it, I prefer to collect garbage if I made it by myself).
Thank you for C::B very much, and I hope you'll change the installer and give user the choice, where to install MinGW (with giving path without spaces by default).

Because, as I can see, many peoples wants to download and install "full-packaged" installer. Borland, Microsoft and other firms teach as to take a complete product, including IDE, compiler and any other things. I'm using they packages (Borland Builder, MSVS etc) and this is my first experiense for using open-source IDE, I need to have "starter kit". Later, I suppose, I'll configure everything I want, I'll download latest versions or install some libriaries manualy. But now, as a new user, I need "base package", which know anything I need to start to work.
If C::B knows about wxWidgets, I suppose it should know how to compile it without my hints (except, of course, wxWidgets path etc).

Tht's why I'm asking you, C::B developers: please, give appropriate installation path for correct MinGW installation _by default_.
Or just include some "starter guide" txt-file in the installer. Or, please, make FAQ C::B for Windows on this forum (yes, yes, I'm windows-only  programmer and I want to start develop for other systems with C::B and wxWidgets). As you said, these type of questions are asked often.
This is not for me, I've allready succesfully installed and built wxWidgets (by using CodeBlocks). But I hope, it will be very helpfull for future new users. I like C::B and I hope averybody. who have it downloaded, will like it too.

Hope my notes are helpfull.
P.S. and sorry for previous incoorect answer.