Author Topic: [packaging] C::B offically in Ubuntu, pending submission to Debian.  (Read 7792 times)

Offline Sonic McTails

• Multiple posting newcomer
I've been working on cleaning up the code::blocks package and correcting it for submission into Ubuntu; a rather large chunk of the rules file needed to be changed, as well as a few other changes for Code::Blocks to meet the Linux Standard Base/Debian/Ubuntu packaging requirements

The biggest change in this regard was the plugins folder has to be moved from /usr/share/codeblocks/plugins to /usr/lib/codeblocks/plugins (share is arch-independent data, and thus actual executable plugins don't belong there; this was the major show stopper for getting the existing deb packages into the archive). I'd ask that the developers make it a seperate configure switch for moving this folder; the current "method" involves a rather nasty hard-coded hack; I'm would be willing to code the changes when I get a chance if the change will be accepted up stream.

Secondly, there appears to be a minor bug with the New Projects window on Xcfe/GNOME (not tested to see if it happens in KDE, but I won't be suprised.). When New > Package is selected, the menu of project templates comes up normally. On Windows, this is a normal list with no icons, and just text, but on Linux, there are spaces for icons, but no actual icons. As this happens both when I built the actual source, and tried the pre-existing debs from this page, I either think this is a bug in wxGTK/wxWidgets, or a bug in C::B; if a dev can please help me to confirm one or the other so it can be resolved ASAP.

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
Re: [packaging] C::B offically in Ubuntu, pending submission to Debian.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 05:26:15 pm »
The biggest change in this regard was the plugins folder has to be moved from /usr/share/codeblocks/plugins to /usr/lib/codeblocks/plugins (share is arch-independent data, and thus actual executable plugins don't belong there; this was the major show stopper for getting the existing deb packages into the archive). I'd ask that the developers make it a seperate configure switch for moving this folder; the current "method" involves a rather nasty hard-coded hack; I'm would be willing to code the changes when I get a chance if the change will be accepted up stream.
I made such a patch/change too: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,8755.0.html :)
you can take a look at it and use it, if you want. i don't know what you call "nasty hard-coded hack", but i wouldn't call my change like this :P
the changes for the debian stuff is missing, i haven't had time to do this.
Nightly builds for openSUSE

Offline Sonic McTails

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 07:29:10 pm »
Oooh, that will help a lot. I'll make sure it goes into the next revision of the package (I need to make some changes into Debian, and then once its in Debian sid, request a sync).
Michael

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 08:05:54 pm »
You can also have a look into "my" debian version, if you are interested.

There are only very less modifications compared to trunk I made in "control" and "rules"-file. (And therefore copyright and changelog of course).

I thought about making C::B really debian and lsb compilant, but i don't have much time in the moment, so it has no priority.

You write that C::B should go in sid. Which version of C::B should there be snapshots of nightlies or a bugfixed-version of 8.02 ?

Offline Sonic McTails

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 05:22:33 am »
It's generally preferred that stable release versions go into the archive (there are exceptions like ffmpeg which hasn't had a stable release this decade). C::B would be LSB compliant if the plugins folder was properly moved to /usr/lib/codeblocks/plugins, and any arch dependent code would go there as well.

I'm still trying to figure out what's causing the weirdness with the New Project window though ...

Offline Wavesonics

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 11:12:37 pm »
I think this should absolutely be a priority for C::B, inclusion in the official Ubuntu repo would really help expand C::Bs exposure and just generally be great for both Ubuntu users and C::B users.

If there is anything I can do, let me know.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:56:59 am »
I just posted a link to a patch that moves the plugins to "/usr/lib/codeblocks" (most work is from daniel2000 ) and makes ome other changes in "debian"-files.
You can have look here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,8755.msg64308.html#msg64308.

Offline Ganbito

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 10:57:03 pm »
I'm developing with CB under Ubuntu for a long time and I was waiting for an announcement on this topic saying that CB is in Ubuntu repositories.

While waiting, I've found that codeblocks is now in Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) universe repository:
   http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=codeblocks
and wxsmith too:
   http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=wxsmith
It is Code::Blocks 8.02 release.

I don't know if are one of you who have submitted it, but I think that I have to write it here. Right now, CB is not in debian official repositories.

Although it is not the purpose of this thread, I want to write that today, testing Mandriva 2009, I also found CB in their repositories. Unfortunately, no contrib packages are in the official repositories, including wxSmith, just CB base IDE. Still, I think that they are good news for Code::Blocks.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 11:07:12 pm »
I'm hoping for it to appear in Debian, since I use a distro tied to Debian's repos. Good luck! :)

Offline darthdespotism

• Almost regular
    • Coder's Nemesis
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 09:35:40 pm »
I'm very much waiting for an package in official debian repos, too. Let's wait for Lenny to be out, after that we can actively push this forward (I#ve already offered my help on the debian side so let's hope there will be any movement)

Offline darthdespotism

• Almost regular
    • Coder's Nemesis
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 09:29:09 pm »
Pinging here again.

I just noticed codeblocks was uploaded to debian 16 hours ago! It's just waiting for final approval before it'll appear in the official repos.