Author Topic: comsupp.lib - license conflict??  (Read 11245 times)

stream

comsupp.lib - license conflict??
« on: October 15, 2005, 03:34:34 pm »
    I am making a game for commercial use. And I am using an engine witch I managed to compile with C::B using "MSVC++ 2003 Toolkit" compiler
Now the problem is when I'm building the game - I get a linker error - It cannot find comsupp.lib  - This is because the engine uses this lib
    I looked everywhere for comsupp.lib  in
        1)Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 LIBS 
        2)Platform SDK 2003 SP1 
        3).NET Framework SDK Version 1.1
and I didn't find a x86 version of the file. Instead I found the 64bit in the Microsoft Platform SDK, but it didn't work with that file.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 11:57:52 am by stream »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: comsupp.lib - license conflict??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 04:03:23 pm »
I used the file from the MS .NET Visual C++ [...] the big problem is that I don't have a license for MS .NET Visual C++
Uh... are you asking whether it is a problem to use a library from a pirated MS .NET VC++ copy in a commercial product? Not serious?

EDIT:
Just looked what is actually inside this library, probably the game engine uses ConvertStringToBSTR and ConvertBSTRToString from that lib. You could try and link without that library to see if this is true (you will get missing symbols). These two functions should not be too much hassle to write yourself, that way you get around the problem in a legal way.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 04:13:40 pm by thomas »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 05:17:29 pm »
lol :D

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 05:22:01 pm »
I hope the game give you enough money so you can get the licenses later :)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 05:22:25 pm »
Stream: Do yourself a favor, and install Linux on your machine. Then use a cross-platform engine, there are plenty out there if you search good enough. http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features.html

Finally, stay away from Microsoft products. They're a trap - aren't you having to depend on them right now? (Search slashdot.org to see one of the many accusations of monopoly, etc). The very reason we're making Code::Blocks is that you don't have to buy Visual C++ to develop.

Until then, I really recommend you to get a Windows license and do things legally. Using the GNU compiler isn't that bad - sure, some compilation times are slow, but it doesn't come crippled like the "free" Microsoft products. Oh yeah, GNU GCC does *NOT* include info on the operating system.

grv575

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 05:05:38 am »
Well the trouble is that the .lib files which they exclude *have no code in them*.  They are just link libraries.  The tell the linker what addresses in which dlls to use to link your executable's symbols so they are found at runtime in the proper dll at the proper address.

Now, I am not a lawyer.  However, it is easy to create the missing link libraries (after all they just contain the imports for a specific dll).  Actually, creating a .def file by hand and filling in the imports which you use is common practise for programming in certain environments (it's usually not necessary if we have tools to do this...).  They can also be created with a simple sed script on the dll to create the .def file.  Then from here you tell the linker to create the import lib.  So, since you can easily recreate the .lib files (perfectly I'm not sure, but I've never had a problem with them...don't think they miss much, though maybe exports that are only listed by ordinal #, but I'm also not sure how these would be called anyhow... haven't looked at PE format too much in depth), either by hand or thorugh an automated script, it would be very hard to argue against the legality of doing so (since this is how programmers are supposed to use a .dll - they would be shooting themselves in the foot).  So just search for extract exports sed for info on how to recreate the missing .lib import libraries and you should be legal (it's not reverse engineering unless some corporate a*** somehow manage to strip all our rights from us while everyones on a holiday or something...)

So, they really didn't exclude much from the bare bones tools which a serious programmer couldn't cope with...  They sell customers on the IDE concept and productivity after all.

stream

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 03:07:45 pm »
Thanx all of you for the advices

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 03:32:12 pm »
grv575:
Problem in this particular case is that there is no comsupp.dll in a regular Windows XP distribution, so he'd have to distribute the pirated dll in any case. Whether he makes his own import lib or not, it is still quite illegal.

stream:
Please keep your hands off pirated software. Especially if you plan on compiling and distributing software composed with these tools/compilers/libraries. This is a really, really stupid thing to do.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."