Author Topic: Problems installing on Kubuntu  (Read 3657 times)

Offline ArtyReyis

• Single posting newcomer
Problems installing on Kubuntu
« on: July 13, 2008, 06:59:49 pm »

I'm a bit new to Linux, so bear with me please!  Hah.

I'm running one of the most recent releases of Kubuntu (June 08), and I'm having trouble installing the .deb files I downloaded from the link to sourceforge on the codeblocks download page.  I've got them all in one directory, and I tried the

"sudo dpkg -i codeblocks_8.02-0ubuntu1_i386.deb libcodeblocks0_8.02-0ubuntu1_i386.deb"

command in the console, and came up with a dependency issue for "libwxgtk2.8-0" package, saying it's not installed.

"sudo apt-get libwxgtk2.8-0" gave me an "Invalid operation libwxgtk2.8-0" message.

After a google search, I found that libwxgtk2.8-0 belongs to the wxWidgets plug-in.  I mean sure, wxWidgets would be handy, but is it even necessary for codeblocks?  I run Codeblocks just fine without wxWidgets on my desktop (WinXP), and right now I'm not doing anything GUI related.  I've been enjoying old-school procedural programming with straight-up C++...

Anyway, I downloaded and unpacked the wxWidgets stuff from the official site that came up when I googled the missing package.  I'm having problems setting that up, as it says "permission denied" on the "../configure --with-gtk" command.  When I try to put "sudo" before it, it tells me the command doesn't exist.

So... I supposedly have the package I need but cannot configure it, and because I cannot configure it I can't use libcodeblocks0_8.02-0ubuntu1_i386.deb and thus cannot configure it so I can install the actual codeblocks program.  Anyone have any solution to this problem?  I'd greatly appreciate it... I've got homework to do!  Haha.

-Arty

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Problems installing on Kubuntu
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 07:12:03 pm »
If wxWidgets 2.8.7 (or greater) is not in your distro you can download binaries as explained here: http://wiki.wxpython.org/InstallingOnUbuntuOrDebian.

If you want to install a package via "apt-get" you need the following commandline:
"sudo apt-get install <package-name>"

Offline ArtyReyis

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 08:30:10 pm »

Well, your solution worked beautifully on getting the packages.  However (and this is the really stupid question) how do I open the IDE so I can start coding?  ~laughs~

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 08:58:20 pm »
If it is installed you should have a menu-entry.
I don't use Kubuntu, but I've used KDE for a couple of years (I changed to lxde about 2 weeks ago).
There should be a "codeblocks" entry in the submenu "development", if it is not there it might help to logout and relogin into KDE.

Or you add an entry with the menu-editor (settings -> menu-editor) if it is installed.
The codeblocks-executable is called "codeblocks" and it is in "/usr/bin" so it is in global search-path and should be usable by every user.
If there is no menu-entry, you should at least be able to start codeblocks from a console (normally "konsole" in KDE") if you type "codeblocks".

Offline ArtyReyis

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 09:13:15 pm »

Thank you so much.  I'm such a newbie.  Haha.  I appreciate your time.  Now I'll finally be able to finish working on my homework!  Your solutions were flawless, and I'm very grateful.