Author Topic: Trouble with makefiles(on the official release)  (Read 5305 times)

Offline hckr83

• Multiple posting newcomer
Trouble with makefiles(on the official release)
« on: March 09, 2008, 06:16:17 pm »
I've just installed the new official release, and I am having trouble getting makefiles to build.

First of all, I am on Windows XP (SP3) and I have uninstalled previous versions of codeblocks and MinGW and installed both CodeBlocks and MinGW from the install file for the official release(I did a full install)

I have tried looking for info on compiling from makefile and the only info I have found doesn't work for this release. It says that I must select Compile From Makefile(under compiler options) rather than Invoke Directly and the problem with this, is the option box is grayed out and can not be changed.

Whenever I try to compile a makefile project, I get nothing but that the process returned 2(after about 10 seconds or so of "compiling"). Apparently this process is make.exe (full command line logging doesn't work completely either)

I have tried most everything, and have yet to get a fix, so I am posting here...

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Trouble with makefiles(on the official release)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:26:50 pm »
Have you checed "This is a custom Makefile" in your prohject's properties?

Right-click on your project in manager chose "Properties", on the first tab check "This is a custom Makefile" and of course write the name of your makefile in the textbox.
Now you can chose/change the appropriate make-commands in your projects "Build options"

Offline Google

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:09:53 am »
Have you checed "This is a custom Makefile" in your prohject's properties?

Right-click on your project in manager chose "Properties", on the first tab check "This is a custom Makefile" and of course write the name of your makefile in the textbox.
Now you can chose/change the appropriate make-commands in your projects "Build options"

I have the same problem. I checked "This is a custom Makefile", but the Build options list box is still disabled.
That's really wired.

Offline Google

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:16:59 am »
I searched in the forum, and found the same problem since 2005. But no solution yet, at least I did not find it. One guy suggested a method to put something in the Pre/post build steps, BUT, the input area does not allow to input!! Did I miss something?

Offline hckr83

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 03:42:56 am »
Actually, though the compiler "use makefile method" option was greyed out; after I fixed make.exe to an updated version(that wasn't DJGPP!!)  after that it worked.. maybe make sure that you can execute make.exe from a command line. Codeblocks 8.02(with MinGW) does NOT include make. You must download and install it yourself(for install, you can just copy to codeblocks/mingw/bin/)

Offline Google

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 05:07:17 am »
Actually, though the compiler "use makefile method" option was greyed out; after I fixed make.exe to an updated version(that wasn't DJGPP!!)  after that it worked.. maybe make sure that you can execute make.exe from a command line. Codeblocks 8.02(with MinGW) does NOT include make. You must download and install it yourself(for install, you can just copy to codeblocks/mingw/bin/)

No luck to me. I tried both cygwin's make and MinGW's make. The codeblocks just keeps using its own debug/release target. I installed cygwin and MinGW independently and I am sure the "make" is there and the path is correct in codeblocks. I am not clear what do you mean by fixing "make.exe"?
Actually, I tried codeblocks, dev-c++ and eclipse. All these IDE just do not have an elegant way to use customized Makefile.

ewaller

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 05:24:28 am »
I am a brand new user of code::blocks.  Running on Gentoo flavored Linux.  Messing around with this, I found the make file was being used, but the argument being passed in was the name of the targets.  Thus, instead of 'make clean' it would try 'make debugclean' or 'make normalclean'.  As a work around, set it such that there is only one build target, and call it something harmless like ' ' ( a single space).  This worked for me.  To debug, I re-ran ./configure with the --enable-debug. Works like a charm.  Feedback please -- I plan to write a bug report.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:55:03 am »
I am a brand new user of code::blocks.  Running on Gentoo flavored Linux.  Messing around with this, I found the make file was being used, but the argument being passed in was the name of the targets.  Thus, instead of 'make clean' it would try 'make debugclean' or 'make normalclean'.  As a work around, set it such that there is only one build target, and call it something harmless like ' ' ( a single space).  This worked for me.  To debug, I re-ran ./configure with the --enable-debug. Works like a charm.  Feedback please -- I plan to write a bug report.

If you have checked "This is a custom Makefile" in Project's "Properties -> Project Settings", you can change the make commands in "Build options -> Make commands" (it's the right-most tab of Build options).